The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60044)

svxcess 06-14-2012 01:12 AM

Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet?

The title says it all

Hocrest 06-14-2012 04:41 AM

Re: Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet

yeah.......

huck369 06-14-2012 05:19 AM

Not till after the Dragon Meet.....

svxcess 07-09-2012 01:01 AM

I will not be handling the contract with the hotel for the next Reading. For this to continue, I guess someone has to take up the challenge and plan the date and if you want a different hotel other than the Morgantown Holiday inn.

You can even book hotel rooms individually and no have a guaranteed block set aside. Jerry Bellistri confided in me that he actually lost money on Reading 11 and 12 by holding he block of rooms I guaranteed would be filled. Didn't seem to bother him that much, and they will continue to welcome us with open arms, but even he saw the waning interest and enthusiasm over the years

Since almost 3 months have passed since the meet and there has not been one post so far expressing any interest, I guess it says a lot.

Huskymaniac 07-09-2012 05:35 AM

I am still willing to organize the meet if it is moved to Watkins Glen. I know of locations where we could meet, drink, grill and play stuff like volleyball and softball. There are a ton of intersting sites and activities nearby and we could do a drive around Seneca Lake with stops at wineries. We might even be able to get track time at the glen. I'm sure I could get some form of soponsorship from 2-3 Subaru dealerships. There is a large hotel in town and several B&Bs.

Just throwing that out there again.......

Hocrest 07-09-2012 11:02 AM

John, PM me with any of the contact info that you have and I'll handle contacting the hotel.

Tony, Other people have organised other successful meets in the past without completely revamping traditional meets.

Huskymaniac 07-09-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 707820)
John, PM me with any of the contact info that you have and I'll handle contacting the hotel.

Tony, Other people have organised other successful meets in the past without completely revamping traditional meets.

Yeah but, in the past, the attendance in all meets, including Reading, apparently was much higher. I think the only way to get decent attendance at this point is to have the primary meet (the one that would be attended by people who can only attend one) at a better, more attractive, location. If people can treat the meet as a vacation (traditional versus just kick back and relax while killing time), they might be more inclined to attend as it would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

This reminds me of a famous quote, "You can't kill time without injuring eternity".

Sean486 07-09-2012 03:31 PM

I would love to have Reading coordinated with the Carlisle imports show. Driving to the show and parking 30 SVX in the Subaru section would be the activity for Saturday.

svxfiles 07-09-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 707836)
I would love to have Reading coordinated with the Carlisle imports show. Driving to the show and parking 30 SVX in the Subaru section would be the activity for Saturday.

Actually, I like this idea,
but don't tell Ben!:eek:
At LEGAL speeds, how long would it take to go from Morgantown PA to Carlisle PA, AND what does it cost to get into the Carlisle Car show?

svxcess 07-09-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 707838)
Actually, I like this idea,
but don't tell Ben!:eek:
At LEGAL speeds, how long would it take to go from Morgantown PA to Carlisle PA, AND what does it cost to get into the Carlisle Car show?

Less than 80 miles, about 1 1/4 hours. May 17-19, 2013.

Sean486 07-09-2012 04:36 PM

It's about $15 to park on the grounds. You have to registered and pay for it a few weeks in advance. It is a bit far from Morgantowm but a worthwhile destination. You can also park on the street and pay at the gate, about $7 I think.

Hocrest 07-09-2012 05:28 PM

The import/kit car meet is May 17-19, 2013. http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/import/

The ricey show is the week before that.

green_eyed_lady 07-10-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 707850)
The import/kit car meet is May 17-19, 2013. http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/import/

The ricey show is the week before that.

Which are we again? :confused:

svxfiles 07-10-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady (Post 707893)
Which are we again? :confused:

Ouch!:o

Some of us are Classy!;)

svxcess 07-10-2012 07:48 PM

Easter is May 31.

APRIL 2 weekends:

April 5-7 (First weekend in April, the "original" Reading weekend) Cold
April 12-14 (tax weekend)
April 19-21
April 26-28

MAY 3 weekends

May 3-5
Mother's Day is May 12
May 17-19 (same weekend as Carlisle)
May 24-25

Figure out your dates and go from there.