The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Baaaad mouse! - part deux (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59237)

Ron Mummert 02-14-2012 02:15 PM

Baaaad mouse! - part deux

Sober now....... to review, see Dead Mouse thread.

So, today we have a BRAND NEW Logitech mouse in hand.

Directions say, "Plug nano receiver into USB port" - Did so..... Nothing.

Tried mouse in my Windows 7 machine. Poifect!

Go back to laptop. This time I go to Logitech site to download driver manually.
(per instructions, when all else fails).

I follow directions - get to box where it says "plug in nano receiver, & wait for 'next' button to light". (This may take a few seconds).

It's now 30 minutes later!!!! Simply put, I can't continue, 'cause box says there's no receiver connected!!! YES THERE IS!!!

So, before I set fire to the dam' laptop, is there ANY magic formula out there that I've missed? I've been through all the "properties, utilities, devices etc., etc". settings I can think of, & see nothing that says, "Oh...you wanna' connect a freakin' mouse...why didn't you say so?

If any one uses dreaded Vista & has a jump-start solution, I'd be glad to listen. Yes, the USB ports seem to work, I did turn the mouse "on", & "yes" I even put a fresh battery in it.

Now I need to go try something easier, like pull plug #6 from SVX.

Ron. :drool:

NikFu S. 02-14-2012 03:13 PM

I have a Logitech mouse with a nano receiver. What model do you have? There could be device conflicts or other such nonsense. Knowing the specific model will help in figuring out the cause of the problem.

LastSVXintheChi 02-14-2012 03:24 PM

Re: Baaaad mouse! - part deux

i didn't see in the other thread but have you tried using an old fashion wired mouse on the laptop? i saw you tried the wireless one on a desktop

maybe the mouse is too new? (i know that sounds dumb but with the way tech moves nowadays its possible) :o

Ron Mummert 02-14-2012 03:36 PM

Hi, guys. The new mouse is an M315. Yes, I tried a wired mouse, but same result....nada. I'd say the problem is DEEP within the computer itself. Remember, the old wireless mouse simply quit from one day to the next for no apparent reason.

LastSVXintheChi 02-14-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 697157)
Hi, guys. The new mouse is an M315. Yes, I tried a wired mouse, but same result....nada. I'd say the problem is DEEP within the computer itself. Remember, the old wireless mouse simply quit from one day to the next for no apparent reason.

what it sounds like is that the "driver" that recognizes A mouse is gone...if the USBs do work with other devices but not with the mice then that is what it sounds like to me.

icingdeath88 02-14-2012 03:50 PM

You said the laptop is 5 years old? And of course still on the original windows installation. If it were my laptop, I would reinstall windows (probably windows 7 instead of vista, because education discount gets me one for like $30). 5 years is a long time for windows, and OEM windows installations are typically full of junkware anyway. But I'm not sure if that's something you would be interested in doing. :o

Chuckls 02-14-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 697162)
You said the laptop is 5 years old? And of course still on the original windows installation. If it were my laptop, I would reinstall windows (probably windows 7 instead of vista, because education discount gets me one for like $30). 5 years is a long time for windows, and OEM windows installations are typically full of junkware anyway. But I'm not sure if that's something you would be interested in doing. :o

This. Upgrade muchacho. Win7 is the best thing you can do til Win8 comes out.

redlightningsvx 02-14-2012 05:35 PM

or load Ubuntu to it. 98% of everything works on it.

icingdeath88 02-14-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 697166)
or load Ubuntu to it. 98% of everything works on it.

No. Because getting that other 2% to work at all requires several computer science degrees.

Ron Mummert 03-15-2012 07:52 PM

UPDATE - FYI, as I know most of you haven't had a good night's sleep since pondering the problem. I caved, & took the bloody machine to the geeks at Best Buy. I expected a big thumbs down, as they'd have little to gain by fixing the thing, & would rather I go buy a new toy from their lavish assortment. But NO!:eek:

After telling me "We should know something in about 15 minutes ($30), & then telling me "Hmmm...we need more time, can you leave it?" I did, & went home to tell my gal, "It's probably headed to the landfill". Next morning I get a call. "Your laptop's ready". "Uh...ready for what?" "We fixed it". "We uninstalled & reloaded the mouse driver". "Something got corrupted, maybe a virus, but it's fine now". I'm elated. "How much" I cringe. "Thirty bucks". Woo-hoo!

Maybe Best Buy ain't always the slime they get slammed for.

Now, back to Angry Birds.

Thanks again to all who took interest.

Ron.

icingdeath88 03-15-2012 08:09 PM

That is the first story I've heard online regarding best buy that didn't end in someone getting ripped off. Congratulations.

Chuckls 03-15-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 699711)
That is the first story I've heard online regarding best buy that didn't end in someone getting ripped off. Congratulations.

Ditto.

Glad you got it fixed!

ensteele 03-17-2012 07:38 PM

Ron - the real question is how much wine did it take to do all of this? :lol: :lol: