The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   crank (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53514)

jjanak79 03-20-2010 02:03 PM

crank

can i use a impact gun to get the crankshaft pulley off? I need to know right away. and thanks in advance for the help.

kwren 03-20-2010 02:09 PM

Re: crank

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjanak79 (Post 638958)
can i use a impact gun to get the crankshaft pulley off? I need to know right away. and thanks in advance for the help.

Long break-over bar, socket and use the starter.

jjanak79 03-20-2010 02:22 PM

a impact wont get it off?

siceclipse 03-20-2010 03:02 PM

yes it will, but its just so much easier to use a socket on a large breaker bar and have a friend crank the ignition over while you hold the bar steady.

NiftySVX 03-20-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siceclipse (Post 638964)
yes it will, but its just so much easier to use a socket on a large breaker bar and have a friend crank the ignition over while you hold the bar steady.

THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND I AM SHOCKED ANYONE WOULD DO THIS

Buzz it off with the impact

siceclipse 03-20-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638966)

WTF? Dangerous? You mean like for the same dangerous the shop manual has in mind when it tells you to disconnect the neg terminal on the battery to change a tire dangerous?

I use a 1/2" breaker bar thats 3 feet long, then I take the end of my floor jack (another 3foot section of steel tube) and put that over the breaker bar for extra leverage.

2 clicks from the starter with putting barely ANY resistance on the breaker bar and the bolt is a full turn loose.

This should go without saying but when i was doing it the car was completely together. (A/C condenser, radiator, fans) and i had no room for an impact gun.

svxfiles 03-20-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638966)

+ 70!

Hey, when its size five, and in RED, its important!

lhopp77 03-20-2010 04:31 PM

Well, how are you going to get it back on with the proper torque??? Seems to me you would use the same method. Yes, you can use the impact wrench to take it off, but you can't put it back that way.

+1 Using the starter is not a smart solution.

Lee

NiftySVX 03-20-2010 04:42 PM

No this is dangerous in the fact that even a high quality tool could fail and come flinging off, this is just a bad idea. I would never even have thought of doing it this way. I always just use a chain wrench and a breaker bar and it comes loose. This is the tool I would use on it and I make a living doing this sort of thing. The proper tools make sure no one gets hurt. The starter is capable of serious torque and a standard chrome socket could shatter. If it was an emergency and you were inside the car and you had a snap on or similar impact socket on it, and the breaker was a good one...nope still wouldn't recommend it.

I'm not trying to condescend, I just don't want anyone to get hurt. Not to mention, why pull a stunt like that if they can just put an impact on it? Buzz that bolt off, I'm sure the poster already did. Just don't put it back on that way. I've seen a broken crank snout on a subaru and it's not pretty.

TomsSVX 03-20-2010 05:38 PM

Use a flat blade driver of the proper size to jam the teeth on the flywheel/torque converter. Then use a large breaker bar to crack it loose... Remove the driver and use it on the opposite side to re-torque the bolt. I insert it between the exhaust manifold and the oil pan... Just be sure it is a good fit in the teeth less you want to pull the trans to replace the parts you broke a tooth on.

If you really want to get it right, Tim's brother is selling the special tool that is meant to hold the crank pulley... But its like $250... So, up to you

Tom

Edit: Also, do not use anything through the timing hole on the back of the block to jam the felxplate... You will damage the flex plate

TomsSVX 03-20-2010 05:42 PM

BTW I giggled a little when I read the title:D

Tom

kwren 03-20-2010 07:59 PM

using the starter, though frightening the first time, is a fantastic and safe way to do it. I just slide a plastic pipe over the handle of the break-over and let it rest on the fender and crank away! Works like a flash.

Any other way is a waste of time...

Please select the proper fender:lol:

Keith:cool:

Cam 03-20-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 639005)
using the starter, though frightening the first time, is a fantastic and safe way to do it. I just slide a plastic pipe over the handle of the break-over and let it rest on the fender and crank away! Works like a flash.

Any other way is a waste of time...

Please select the proper fender:lol:

Please...I mean come on, really? A safe way? I can think of many things that could go wrong. Most of them involve injury. Not to mention (which it already has) that you still need to properly torque the bolt. Just because it works does not make it safe. Words should be chosen carefully when posting things that can affect someone else's safety.

Edit: I have read of someone successfully drilling 4 holes in a 2x4 to line up with the four holes in the pulley. Then they drilled a big hole (probably used a hole saw) in the middle for the socket to pass through. They inserted 4 bolts through the 2x4 and pulley, and used it to back up the pulley as they removed the bolt. MUCH SAFER! (though more time consuming)

kwren 03-20-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 639009)
Please...I mean come on, really? A safe way? I can think of many things that could go wrong. Most of them involve injury. Not to mention (which it already has) that you still need to properly torque the bolt. Just because it works does not make it safe. Words should be chosen carefully when posting things that can affect someone else's safety.

This is a simple IQ test...

svxcess 03-21-2010 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 638983)
If you really want to get it right, Tim's brother is selling the special tool that is meant to hold the crank pulley... But its like $250...

According to subaruparts, you can get the proper tool from Subaru for a whole lot less.

499977000....Wrench Cp Crank Puly....List $95.55....Net $72.81

Too good to be true
. That particular part has been discontinued and the part number is superceded to 499977300A.
Different design and a higher price. Click HERE and HERE