The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Car and Driver continues its distain for the SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56961)

benebob 04-04-2011 08:10 PM

Car and Driver continues its distain for the SVX

Got my new issue of C&D today May 11 and in the letterbox section, the staff continues its distain for the SVX. At least 1 of their beloved BMWs finished dead last in on of the two comparisons. I guess the check bounced.:rolleyes:

shelfy 04-04-2011 08:27 PM

Re: Car and Driver continues its distain for the SVX

Really? The Subaru SVX? Really?

benebob 04-04-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 673099)
Really? The Subaru SVX? Really?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

subeman90 04-05-2011 04:18 AM

I saw that in the magazine too.

LetItSnow 04-05-2011 08:53 PM

In context, it's totally justified. The car doesn't hold a candle to the rest for something you'd drive at VIR as sold!

LastSVXintheChi 04-11-2011 10:10 AM

I just read their "The Greatest Automotive Flops of the Last 25 Years" and they said some nice things about the SVX lol here ill paste it in

Subaru SVX (1991–97)

Ah, the Italians. When in doubt, that cherished Italian maxim goes, design something beautiful. If you can’t be bothered to come up with anything beautiful, it continues, then at least design something desperately weird and pawn it off on someone else.

The SVX was most definitely a case of the latter. Subaru’s most distinctive car—and considering the company gave birth to the 356cc 360 and the three-cylinder Justy, that’s saying a lot—came from the pen of legendary Italian designer Giorgetto Giugiaro. Yep, the same man who gave us the BMW M1, the Mark I Volkswagen Golf, and the Maserati Ghibli also gave us this wacky-windowed wonder. Perhaps the lunch menu that day included a bit too much grappa.

The SVX was intended to be the car on which the “new” Subaru would be built, a revolutionary achievement that banished all thoughts of the marque’s often quirky past. A 230-hp, 3.3-liter, 24-valve flat-six lived under the hood, and a highly evolved, electronically managed all-wheel-drive system put power to the ground. Four-wheel steering was available in Japan, and Giugiaro’s sweeping lines resulted in a drag coefficient of just 0.29. Unfortunately, tech wizardry wasn’t enough to overcome awkward styling and a high (almost $25,000 in 1992) price, and sales never took off. The SVX was a good car dragged down into floptastic floppiness by the hubris of its maker.

its not all bad it mostly blames it on the designer and maker :D and they say "the SVX was a good car..." so i guess they dont completely hate it lol

Sean486 04-11-2011 11:10 AM

All in all it was a dumb decision to go into production with the split windows. That is what seems to set the haters off the most, and drove up the overall cost of the SVX. I also think it would have looked just as good without them.

Then again if they had left the SVX as a concept car I'm sure everyone would have wrote about how they wished they would have made it.

LastSVXintheChi 04-11-2011 11:53 AM

yeah thats how it always is with people either way they arent gonna be happy

personally i love the split windows especially on a nice day cruising down the highway...they arent very helpful on a hot day in stop and go traffic...especially without A/C...though :tard: lol

kwren 04-11-2011 12:18 PM

Subaru SVX does not have a monopoly on the split window thing!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1107&bih=544

Keith:cool:

LastSVXintheChi 04-11-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 673634)
Subaru SVX does not have a monopoly on the split window thing!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1107&bih=544

is that an old bugatti??? that looks nice :drool:

Lookin4SVX 04-11-2011 01:04 PM

I like my split windows, except when I go to a drive-thru..
The girl at the dunkin doughnuts keeps trying to hand my coffee through the fixed glass...

kwren 04-12-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 673636)
is that an old bugatti??? that looks nice :drool:

It is!
Costs over $1,000,000.00 new, now...??

Freeman 04-12-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 673638)
I like my split windows, except when I go to a drive-thru..
The girl at the dunkin doughnuts keeps trying to hand my coffee through the fixed glass...

Lol that's hilarious.

I've had a few instances where you go through the drive through and the girl says something along the lines of: "oh em gosh what kind of car is that? That's sooooo weird I love it. Do the windows go up or in I don't even oh em gosh what's going awn?"

I love these windows.

Subie59 04-12-2011 08:59 AM

I don't get it. I think the SVX (and its windows) is a fine looking automobile that has stood the test of time very nicely. I guess it's to each his own, but I would rather have a car that stands out from the crowd than one that gets lost in it.

LastSVXintheChi 04-12-2011 09:12 AM

kwren: wooooh you could almost get a new one for that! lol but it wont have the windows :cool:

freeman and lookin4svx: i always have the problem at KFC when you order the big 12 piece bucket i couldnt get it in the window one time! :lol: