The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   sylvania silvertars-cool blues (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22011)

Phoenix_3737 10-16-2004 11:50 PM

sylvania silvertars-cool blues

which in your opinion are better the silverstars or the cool blues, ive done some minor research and have come to the conclusion of silverstars or cool blues what is the difference and i also heard that some lights start to burn were it connects or something...does this happen with the silvertars or cool blues, any help will do, thanks

THAWA 10-17-2004 12:30 AM

xtravisions

Landshark 10-17-2004 05:20 AM

i currently have Silverstars, but i've had Cool Blues on a previous car. i think the Silverstars are much brighter and crisper, but the Cool Blues are very good considering they cost a bit less.

you could get Silverstars for the low beams, and Cool Blues for the high beams and fogs to save a few bucks. i usually don't use the highs or fogs very often.

Chiketkd 10-17-2004 09:31 AM

PM SVX10. He has some Silverstar Cool Blues (with less than 50 hours on them) for sale and would probably let them go for $15 shipped.

I bought the Silverstars from him and I love them. But I've heard the cool blues are just as nice.

-Chike

Chiketkd 10-17-2004 09:33 AM

Here's a link to SVX10's thread in the 'For Sale' section:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=21821

-Chike

majeskyb 10-17-2004 10:08 AM

I've been running silverstars in my camaro for over a year now, and absolutely love them. For their price, I can't find anything else I'd rather have in there. My only problem is that when I'm driving the rx-7, leading my wife somewhere, it looks like she has her high-beams on. You will get a lot of people flashing you on dark roads. That and their expected life. I can't find the address right now, but the silverstar high beams only have an expected life of about 1600 hours, and the low-beams are about 2x as long. I had one burn out after about six months. Well worth the money.

Found it. Second question down

Silverstar expected life

majeskyb 10-17-2004 10:16 AM

What will melt the connectors/wiring for headlights is if you increase the wattage. The silverstars and the equivilant from Phillips uses about the same wattage as stock bulbs. If you were to go with a cheap internet brand hi-po lights, they have a higher-outbut because they bump up the wattage. (65~70 watts for lows, 100~115 for highs).

RojoRocket 10-17-2004 11:53 AM

Phoenix_3737

Before you make any changes or select new bulbs a little research will go a long way. Not that I don't value the member input so far in this thread, but the attached site contains a wealth of knowledge about the "blue light" craze as well as lots of info on ways to safely boost lamp wattage, wiring tricks, etc, etc. Have a look!

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Glenn

BoondockSVX 10-17-2004 12:36 PM

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

SVX10 10-17-2004 09:12 PM

as Chike says, i have some Sylvania Cool Blues for sale. Both the Cool Blues and Silverstars put out 1000 lumens according to the paperwork that comes with the bulbs. The Silverstars are whiter, but the Cool Blues are still whiter than stock. Neither one is really blue, so you don't have to worry about not being able to see anything. Lemme know if you're interested.

Mat

BoondockSVX 10-17-2004 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by majeskyb
What will melt the connectors/wiring for headlights is if you increase the wattage. The silverstars and the equivilant from Phillips uses about the same wattage as stock bulbs. If you were to go with a cheap internet brand hi-po lights, they have a higher-outbut because they bump up the wattage. (65~70 watts for lows, 100~115 for highs).
Actually NO. The wattage is the same. They get away with advertising it as a higher wattage bulb due to the bulb's output's temperature rating.

Something like that anyway.

- Jim

GreenMarine 10-17-2004 11:42 PM

You should do a search on this... I remember there being alot of threads on this exact topic about a year ago... :)

majeskyb 10-18-2004 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BoondockSVX

Actually NO. The wattage is the same. They get away with advertising it as a higher wattage bulb due to the bulb's output's temperature rating.

Something like that anyway.

- Jim

I think we're a little confused between what we're saying to each other. Output wattage is the heat that the bulb generates. Temperature rating is the color that the bulb puts out. When I was talking about the cheaper brands using a higher wattage to try and compensate for the temperature, I was refering to bulbs like these . Those are high beams by that brand, and the electrical rating on them is 12v, 100w. That's what I meant by the cheaper ones using a higher wattage. And I know for a fact that there have been plenty of people that melter their wiring harnesses, along with the headlight lenses because they switched to an aftermarket bulb with a higher wattage.

I just realized that we have yet to answer your original question Phoenix. :D This quote is directly from Sylvania's Silverstar faq page, that I have a link to a few posts above.

"4. What’s the difference between SilverStar and Cool Blue?
SilverStar is a brighter (increased luminance) bulb and a whiter (~4000K vs. ~3500K) bulb than Cool Blue. SilverStar halogen is a performance halogen product line that provides a look that is closest to the color of HID with a high color temperature at 4000K and a crisp, white light. SilverStar puts more usable light into the foreground, making both the roadway and shoulder easier to see."

SEA Sleeper 10-18-2004 12:35 PM

my two cents

I've tried both and the Silverstars seem to give a crisper cleaner light.

THAWA 10-18-2004 08:39 PM

The bluish tint is fooling your eyes. In almost all situations yellow light is better than blue light.