The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX Featured on Jalopnik! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55872)

Mike621 11-04-2010 04:37 PM

SVX Featured on Jalopnik!

http://jalopnik.com/5681557/ten-nigh...esist/gallery/

"3.) Subaru Alcyone SVX

Suggested by: Canuck Chinaman

Why It's a Nightmare: The SVX was Subaru's first attempt at a high-performance car. It came with a 3.3 liter flat-six that could sound like a Porsche and had unusual airplane-inspired styling. But some here believe the SVX is bad luck because it never runs! How often have you seen an SVX driving? In addition to this, the SVX only came in a 4-speed automatic because there was no gearbox at the time to support the SVX's "copious" amounts of power. On top of this, finding parts for the SVX are becoming more and more difficult as the years go by, meaning that maintaining this car is becoming harder and much more expensive.

Photo Credit: AB12
link directly to this page:
http://jalopnik.com/5681557//gallery/gallery/9
read more: #answersoftheday, #aotd, #topten, #listicle

"

Happy 11-04-2010 05:51 PM

Re: SVX Featured on Jalopnik!

Wow I have owned 3 of the 10.

ShiuludeSVX 11-04-2010 07:44 PM

What? It never runs? What a bunch of BFr's. I'm looking at 285K miles, and only now have to do something about the gearbox.

Why do you never see them on the road? Because everything made since 2000 all looks like every other thing on the road.

We can be proud of our Unique cars, and I, for one am very proud of how mine has done to this point, and it shows, every time someone comments on the car. Happy 19th birthday to all the early '92 Svx's out there. Keep hummin.

Thanks for the post.

edit: hahahahahaha Citroen has two on the list.

davew833 11-04-2010 11:17 PM

This article could go in the "Idiots and the SVX" thread.

7 of the 10 cars were listed as a "nightmare" because of maintenance costs.
2 were a "nightmare" because they were British (yeah-- OK)
1 was listed because it's French (definitely)

Yes, an older, limited-production car is going to be more expensive to maintain than a 3-year-old Toyota Corolla. They needed this article to tell us that? I'd take any of them over a Corolla-- except maybe the Citroen.

bwb3 11-05-2010 10:42 AM

I think it is in with some good company there. Any of those are welcome in my driveway.
Gene

wdb 11-05-2010 12:56 PM

Two of the 10 appear to be the same car - Citroen SM.

I've owned a few of them myself. My MGBGT (pronounced midge-a-bidget) was my third 'B' and one of the best cars I have ever owned.

My SVX on the other hand has been doing a lot of sitting around. Not strictly its fault; my supply of round tuits unexpectedly ran out right about the time I bought it.

Ownbot 11-05-2010 02:39 PM

Well for me personally mine didn't run more than it did run. I could not enjoy it so I had to sell it. Not worth the hassle to me.

Rodolfo 11-09-2010 08:14 PM

The blurb is mostly nonsense; mine was a 12-year dream of a car and I never found the cost of parts as high as for other cars I've owned. I suppose it's high relative to what people pay today for the cars. The blurbs are also inaccurate for the other models I checked.

I've also owned 3 of them, although I had the just-prior generation RX-7 Turbo II.

ensteele 11-10-2010 08:16 AM

I don't find much truth to that as well. They didn't even show a USDM car, but one from another market - Alcyone. :o

JENKIN 11-10-2010 08:54 AM

OMG... I've owned 6 of these, I guess that is why I am perpetually broke. My
SVX has been the best of these, it has never failed to start and has only had issues when i deviated from OEM parts. It is the most reliable of the "enthusiast" cars that I own.
The rx7 is horse of a different color. Just like anything else, it will run well if left stock and maintained. I do not understand why people do not understand that if you modify something to produce 2.5 times the horsepower of a stock design, you will experience decreased reliability.. i guess that is why I own 20+ rx7 rolling chassis, lol..
its a curse

Mike621 11-10-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKIN (Post 662317)
OMG... I've owned 6 of these, I guess that is why I am perpetually broke. My
SVX has been the best of these, it has never failed to start and has only had issues when i deviated from OEM parts. It is the most reliable of the "enthusiast" cars that I own.
The rx7 is horse of a different color. Just like anything else, it will run well if left stock and maintained. I do not understand why people do not understand that if you modify something to produce 2.5 times the horsepower of a stock design, you will experience decreased reliability.. i guess that is why I own 20+ rx7 rolling chassis, lol..
its a curse

The FD is one of my "dream cars" (bone stock, of course). :)

subarufamily 11-11-2010 07:49 PM

i have owned 6 of the cars on this list and NONE of them have EVER given me any trouble, I either traded or moved on to other cars EXCEPT the svx and to borrow a phrase " they'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands "