The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1500 RPM sound (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37538)

Roger8519 02-17-2007 05:09 PM

1500 RPM sound

Everytime that my car is around 1500 RPM it makes a sound llike something is vibrating or rattling, speed does not have an effect on the sound, it is only at that speciafic RPM. Anyone know what this could be, it is very annoying and makes the SVX sound like a piece of crap, which we all know is forbidden lol. PLEASE HELP!!!

Trevor 02-17-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger8519
Everytime that my car is around 1500 RPM it makes a sound llike something is vibrating or rattling, speed does not have an effect on the sound, it is only at that speciafic RPM. Anyone know what this could be, it is very annoying and makes the SVX sound like a piece of crap, which we all know is forbidden lol. PLEASE HELP!!!

It would appear that probably an exhaust heat shield, or a muffler baffle could be rattling. Listen under the car, while someone runs it at the critical RPM.

Suby Fan 02-17-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

its doing the same thing my car is... i traced mine back to the "primary mufler" or what looks to be a resinator

Mr. Pockets 02-17-2007 10:29 PM

Yeah, I would suspect the resonator. I had mine replaced with a straight pipe. I'm not thrilled about the increased exhaust noise, but it is better than the buzzing.

ensteele 02-17-2007 10:49 PM

The buzzing is a very comon problem and it drives most people nuts. :o

Conn SVX 02-18-2007 04:49 PM

I had to weld the heat shield brackets on mine twice so far. if you could see thu the floor it would be right under your left foot.

svxistentialist 02-18-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

It's most likely the baffle plates in the resonator. It looks like a cat, but isn't.
[When it's rattling, it's actually a dog.:rolleyes: :p ]

Replacement with a straight pipe works, but changes the sound for the worse, big time. A new resonator is expensive.

Best advice I can give is to cut out the resonator, and temporarily replace with straight pipe. Keep the resonator.

If you are happy with the new sound, then OK. If you don't like the sound, cut open the resonator around the circumference with a fine disc. There are baffles inside. They will be loose. Spot weld them. Weld back on the lid. Cut out the straight pipe and put back in the repaired resonator.

No more rattles.

Joe:)

svxistentialist 02-18-2007 05:35 PM

It can be heat shields either. They are easy to see and repair.

If you fix them and there is still a rattle, particularly at the frequency you mention, it is the baffles in the resonator causing it.

joe

wannarace928 02-18-2007 06:10 PM

Mine was doing it due to a heat shield on the catalytic converter making noise and resonating in the resonator (EXTREMELY IRRITATING!!:mad: ). Eventually the bottom of the heat shield fell off (while my aunt whom I had just met and picked up from the airport was in the car, didnt give her a good first impression) and we put a metal band around the catalytic converter and other half of the heat shield to stop the rattle. It has worked for quite a while now.

2NI 03-05-2007 10:32 AM

I have it also... The rattle sound... Drives me crazy!!! :mad:

svxistentialist 03-05-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2NI
I have it also... The rattle sound... Drives me crazy!!! :mad:

Denis

see my post #7 above. It can be loose heat shields, which are external, and you will find the loose one by having somebody rev the car while it is up in the air on a ramp. This rattle is caused by sympathetic vibrations in the exhaust line.

If it is internal, it will be loose baffles inside the resonator. These are harder to spot on the ramp. They will be more noticeable when the car is moving than when it is stationary. [And more annoying!:mad: ]

If it is internal in the resonator, the advice in #7 will save you a lot of Euro.

Joe:)

2NI 03-05-2007 11:42 AM

Yes, thank you for the advices Joe! I've read almost everything on the subject prior to posting... I'll get that checked by the end of the week at my friend's garage. The previous owner was apparently not bothered by it... Maybe deaf? :D

svxistentialist 03-05-2007 12:38 PM

Yeah, deaf! :rolleyes:

I'll say that must be right.

;) :)

2NI 03-09-2007 04:06 PM

Issue resolved! Like wannarace928, loose heat-shield around the cats (the worst on driver's side)...
No more possible to tight the screws so we took a grip & squeezed the whole thing together with the cat = bye bye rattle sound... :p

Not to teach in a mechanic school but efficient and that's what counts! :D

Suby Fan 03-10-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Yeah, I would suspect the resonator. I had mine replaced with a straight pipe. I'm not thrilled about the increased exhaust noise, but it is better than the buzzing.

would some one who likes rumbling exhaust be bothered by this noise?