The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Window tint removal tips? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34850)

dcarrb 08-22-2006 10:35 AM

Window tint removal tips?

Well, it's a chore I need to tackle on the silver. Do I just peel-back a corner, take ahold of it and yank?

On second thought, maybe I'll wait for cooler weather. Master Procrastinator here.

dcb

RSVX 08-22-2006 10:57 AM

When I had tint installed on one of my vehicles... the installer stated that I shouldnt use amonia based cleaners, as it breaks down the glue...

just a thought.

msvx95 08-22-2006 11:05 AM

Don't yank, something tells me something will break.....lol

svxcess 08-22-2006 11:30 AM

Try to do as much as you can yourself.

But I would take it to a professional tint installer to have the back windowtint removed. It is somewhat awkward to get to and if you are not careful you could damage the rear window defroster wires.

They have the experience and equipment to do it safely.

Earthworm 08-22-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX
... the installer stated that I shouldnt use amonia based cleaners, as it breaks down the glue...

It actually breaks down the tint itself. Look for window cleaners that indicate "Tint Safe".

crotchrocketony 08-22-2006 03:37 PM

hey, here is how you remove it, on the side windows use a razor to get the tint off, on the rear window use a razor and a heat gun, dont touch the lines with the razor, just use it to get the tint to start to peel and use the heat gun is used to soffen the tint so it will peal easyer. once you are done geting the tint off (the easy part) then it comes to that glue....use adheasive remover you can buy the good stuff shops use on ebay. use that with a razor on the sides and use a plastic razor on the rear..........or you can go to the tint place to get it removed....it normaly runs more to have it removed then installed

Hocrest 08-22-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
...maybe I'll wait for cooler weather.

Don't do that, for the sides use a razor and 90% isopropyl to get rid of the residue. But for the rear, you need to do it on a hot sunny day...

You will need;
- Spray bottle with ammonia
- Lots of newspapers
- Black plastic garbage bag
- Plastic putty knife/scraper

1. Cut open the garbage bag and trim so that it is about the same shape and size as the interior of the glass.
2. spread the newspapers over the rear deck and seats
3. Spray the ammonia all over the tint/rear window
4. While the window is still wet with ammonia, push the black bag up against so that the moisture causes the bag to kling
5. Shut the car and leave it set in the sun and leave the ammonia and bag get nice and warm and juicy.
6. Open the doors/windows, hold your breath and use the plastic scraper to remove the film.
7. If it doesn't release, go back to #3

dcarrb 08-24-2006 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
6. Open the doors/windows, hold your breath and use the plastic scraper to remove the film.

Hold my breath? Ammonia... man, my throat burns just thinking about it. Maybe I could rent an aqualung.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

dcb

svxcuseme 08-24-2006 08:36 AM

Windex is plenty good enough. The active component is ammonia.

I've removed it, from numerous cars, (used to do tinting as a way to pay the bills while in school). Peel a corner back and peel the sheet(s) off slow or fast, really makes no difference. The tint will not pull off the defrost lines on the back window.

Once you get it all off, coat the inside of the glass with Windex and let it sit for a minute or two. The key is to keep it wet for a couple minutes while the ammonia breaks down the adhesive. A garage is good for retarding evaporation.

Now, use a straight razor blade to scrape the glue off the glass. Presto! No muss...no fuss. Don't scrap the back glass with a metal blade! You will cut the defrost lines. Use a bondo blade or better yet, just wipe away with a paper towel.

Good luck!