The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My transmission like's to shift. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16049)

Javelinman 01-29-2004 09:53 AM

My transmission like's to shift.

Ok I have posted about his before but now I explain what is going on better.

When driving my SVX my transmission like's to shift... Let me give a good Example

When going between 40mph-53mph the car will shift between 4th gear and 3rd gear over and over again.
It dose this with out me doing anything! It just shift back and forth back and forth (you get the idea).
And it also shifts hard into 2nd gear! And only one time when driving at about 70mph the car shifted down into 3rd. I'm not giving it any gas when it dose this. Also when I'm going down hill I can feel the trans kick down but it doesn't shift down.
The Transmission has 37 thousand miles! and a trans cooler. I really didn't notice this that much but Shelfy Let me drive his 92 SVX and Damn was that thing nice and smooth.
It seems to be getting more prevalent.
Anyone know what could be going on? Or what I should do?

Javelinman

Green1995SVX 01-29-2004 10:09 AM

My guesses are these:

1. Crazy TCU
2. Messed up valve body
3. High Clutch??

Keep in mind, those are guesses.

Mike

Aredubjay 01-29-2004 10:11 AM

First thing, the transmission SHIFTING isn't a BAD thing. :D It's when it stops shifting that problems begin. :D

Just kidding. Seriously, I'm betting it's pretty cold right now in Colorado. This "searching" for gears is somewhat characteristic of the SVX in extremely cold temps, especially with a cooler. In fact, I have a cooler on one and not on the other. The one with the cooler frequently does this "search" function, whereas the one without does not.

gamblergw 01-29-2004 10:13 AM

trans.

Lock up converter.

Green1995SVX 01-29-2004 10:50 AM

Re: trans.

Quote:

Originally posted by gamblergw
Lock up converter.
That would just make it go in and out of lock though, not shift into 3rd? Right?

Mike

Aredubjay 01-29-2004 11:28 AM

Re: Re: trans.

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

That would just make it go in and out of lock though, not shift into 3rd? Right?

Mike

Yeah. Tha's mainly what mine does. I'm just figuring it's much colder in CO than it is here, and therefore, causing some weird shift patterns. Of course his tranny could be going to sh!t, but, I didn't wanna say that. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Javelinman 01-29-2004 11:39 AM

No Colorado Is actually a lot warmer then most people think! today it in the high 50's.
I just got back from driving the SVX to lunch and it shifts really good it just dose it all the time!

Aredubjay 01-29-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Javelinman
No Colorado Is actually a lot warmer then most people think! today it in the high 50's.
I just got back from driving the SVX to lunch and it shifts really good it just dose it all the time!

Yikes! It's about 18 degrees here. :eek: It sounds like it could be a "flow" problem. Try disconnecting the resistor behind the battery and see if anything changes. That's the dropping resistor to solenoid A. A regulates pressure. With the resistor unplugged, you'll get full line pressure. Try it for a short period (perhaps the drive home, this afternoon) and see how she reacts. Know, however, that your shifts will be MUCH firmer. Plug the resistor back in when you get home.

Zeppelin 01-29-2004 12:22 PM

Aaron, when you come to the meet Saturday, we can fiddle with your car if you want.. We can try unplugging your resistor and see what happens..

Mr. Pockets 01-29-2004 12:29 PM

Re: Re: trans.

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Mike

Right, but some people do not know the difference between a shift and the locking / unlocking of the torque converter.

shelfy 01-29-2004 12:33 PM

Re: My transmission like's to shift.

Quote:

Originally posted by Javelinman
Shelfy Let me drive his 92 SVX and Damn was that thing nice and smooth.

Javelinman

the tranny gods love me. :D

lee 01-29-2004 12:43 PM

have you by any chance already disconnected the dropping resistor or changed it's value or replaced it with the Smallcar kit?

I ask because this hunting for gears is a sometimes side effect of the open circuit (or much too high of a resistance anyway) going to the solenoid.

I have no idea about my next guess - it's entirely likely to be a dumb idea, but....since I know it will sometimes act like this without the resistor (but don't know why), what would happen if the solenoid travel was restricted or it was beginning to die, i.e., not bad enough yet to set a trouble code but bad enough that under cold temps the behavior appears.

Andy 01-29-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
have you by any chance already disconnected the dropping resistor or changed it's value or replaced it with the Smallcar kit?

I ask because this hunting for gears is a sometimes side effect of the open circuit (or much too high of a resistance anyway) going to the solenoid.

I have no idea about my next guess - it's entirely likely to be a dumb idea, but....since I know it will sometimes act like this without the resistor (but don't know why), what would happen if the solenoid travel was restricted or it was beginning to die, i.e., not bad enough yet to set a trouble code but bad enough that under cold temps the behavior appears.

Just what I was thinking. Exactly the symptoms I had with a bad resistor.

Javelinman 01-29-2004 02:13 PM

No I haven't done anything to the car! I just got it 5 weeks ago!
all I know is the car had a new trans put into it at 103,000 miles I'm think about taking it to a shop here in town that (Shelfy) Told me about and see what they have to say about it! I just hope that the place doesn't rip me off! And tell me that I need a new transmission.
How much am I looking at paying for a new resistor??? Is it something that is very hard to find?

GreenMarine 01-29-2004 02:20 PM

Some people said that thiers did this when they unplugged the tranny resistor... Does anyone thing that the resistor may be bad/unplugged????