The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My new alarm is acting funny. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10958)

clarkerussell 05-22-2003 09:51 PM

My new alarm is acting funny.

Hello all,

I just installed a used Alarm box and the remote works fine. The problem I have is that the alarm function does not seem to work.. The alarm would go into programing mode, it will lock and unlock the doors (and turn on the interior lights). The problem is that when I arm the alarm, the horn chirps 4 times quickly. It's the same when you arm or disarm. When I unlock the door from the outside, through the window, and then open the door, the alarm does not go off. Is this indicative of a bad alarm, or did I not do something correctly? Thanks.

Clarke

mbtoloczko 05-23-2003 09:44 AM

When I installed the factory alarm in my '95 a few weeks ago, it was simply a matter of disconnecting the negative batter cable, plugging the module into the wiring harness (and bolting it in place), plugging in the ignition relay, adding the "security" button, and reconnecting the battery cable. Worked perfectly after that. So the install seems very straightforward. I would guess that either the module is bad, incompatible, or there is something wrong with your car.

red95svx 05-24-2003 07:26 AM

It almost sounds like your "SECURITY" button is not pressed in.....

Dave

clarkerussell 05-24-2003 10:55 AM

Nothing happens when I press the Alarm button in. What would that indicate? I know the button should work because I got the alarm into programming mode using it.

mbtoloczko 05-24-2003 01:45 PM

By "alarm" button, do you mean the Security button? If so, when its pressed to enable the system, it should steadily flash a red light when the car is not running. Maybe you knew that already, but I thought I'd mention it.

clarkerussell 05-25-2003 10:22 AM

Fixed...

Well, you guys were right. The alarm button (security button) was not on. Once I pressed the button, the alarm does the correct One chip for arm, two for disarm. Apparently the light does not work any more, so I'll be looking to fix that next. Does anyone know if it's replaceable? Thanks.

Clarke

Mr. Pockets 05-25-2003 10:47 AM

Re: Fixed...

Quote:

Originally posted by clarkerussell
Well, you guys were right. The alarm button (security button) was not on. Once I pressed the button, the alarm does the correct One chip for arm, two for disarm. Apparently the light does not work any more, so I'll be looking to fix that next. Does anyone know if it's replaceable? Thanks.

Clarke

It's very possible that it is. Subaru (and maybe other manufacturers, as well - I don't know) seems to use these ridiculous little incandescents for buttons and displays instead of LEDs. I don't know why. I had to take the climate control apart on my wife's Legacy (losing both of the circlips used to hold the cable in place...little ****ers) to find that all three of the lights had burned out.

The instrument panel is lit by an army of these little things. I can't wait until my 'D' light burns out! YAY!

Ugh...please, Subaru, just use friggin' LEDs...

kuoh 05-25-2003 06:54 PM

Re: Re: Fixed...

As a matter of fact, the SVX's security button does use a red LED. I think it's the only button on the whole car that does.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Ugh...please, Subaru, just use friggin' LEDs...

clarkerussell 05-27-2003 07:58 AM

Still flaky...

OK, my alarm is still flakey.. Can someone please tell me how the Alarm button is SUPPOSED to work? I have the alarm working now, but there does not seem to be any visual indication that it is armed. Other than pressing the remote to arm or disarm it, I do not know if it's on or not.. Also, when I press the button, the light does not go on or off. Is that normal?

mbtoloczko 05-27-2003 09:42 AM

Re: Still flaky...

Quote:

Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, my alarm is still flakey.. Can someone please tell me how the Alarm button is SUPPOSED to work? I have the alarm working now, but there does not seem to be any visual indication that it is armed. Other than pressing the remote to arm or disarm it, I do not know if it's on or not.. Also, when I press the button, the light does not go on or off. Is that normal?
When the red LED in the security button is working, when the security system is enabled, it steadily flashes regardless of whether the system is armed/disarmed. Sometimes after I've armed the system, I forget if its armed after not driving the car for a few days. One way to know is to look at the lock on the doors.