The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Problem on warm start with our other SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25767)

Treppiede 04-25-2005 09:20 PM

Problem on warm start with our other SVX

Hey guys,
my old man's SVX has half the miles of mine so it has obviously given us less headaches, although there is a small issue that's bothering my father. Please don't mind the fact that he doesn't post on here, he's just starting to use a computer (I finally convinced him and built him a nice little P4) and he spends entire evenings browsing eBay for all the special little cars and motorcycles he likes. :D He does however appreciate all your help and perhaps one day I'll get him off of eBay and teach him how to post in here, but don't come complain to me if he starts posting too much (Mike 'longassname' will understand what I mean ;)).

Anyways, he's been b!tching that his SVX refuses to start after a short trip. Basically he would stop the car for a little, and when he goes back to turn it on (engine still hot) she would refuse to crank at all, much like if he were not in 'Parking'. He usually tries a few times or waits for a little more for the engine to cool and it would eventually start, but he says that it's getting worst and worst.

I haven't had a chance to look at it as of yet, but I have a strong feeling that the switch to check if the brake is pressed may be going bad, could that be the problem?

Any idea on what could this be? I searched but I was unable to find a similar thread.

Thanks in advance,

Walter

NikFu S. 04-25-2005 10:42 PM

Brake shouldn't have to be depressed to start the engine.

Treppiede 04-26-2005 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Brake shouldn't have to be depressed to start the engine.

Yeah you're right, I was getting confused with the little clutch switch on my Talon...

Walter

Beav 04-26-2005 10:28 AM

Nest time it happens try starting in neutral. If that doesn't work, watch the dome light (with the door open) and see if it dims significantly when trying to start.

nordique14 04-26-2005 02:09 PM

If you just get no noise at all, keep trying, it will usually catch at some point. Had the same thing. Car would eventually catch and start. Sometimes the first time, sometimes taking 10-20 tries...until eventually it would not start even when cold no matter how many times I tried. Ignition switch is my bet.

-Matt

Treppiede 04-26-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav
Nest time it happens try starting in neutral. If that doesn't work, watch the dome light (with the door open) and see if it dims significantly when trying to start.

I will tell him. What are you thinking it could be Beav?

Thanks Matt, I will look into the ignition switch option as well.

Walter

svxpert 04-26-2005 07:39 PM

<<Any idea on what could this be? I searched but I was unable to find a similar thread.>>

heat soak in the starter. common problem in early '90s subaru starters. same thing happen to me on mine. there is a write up about a resistor you can make to fix the problem.

SubaSteevo 04-26-2005 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert
<<Any idea on what could this be? I searched but I was unable to find a similar thread.>>

heat soak in the starter. common problem in early '90s subaru starters. same thing happen to me on mine. there is a write up about a resistor you can make to fix the problem.

it's a relay actually, not a resistor, and yes, it works (atleast it did for me)

thundering02 04-26-2005 08:16 PM

I vote for starter and its solonoid first BUT make sure all the connections are good.

Treppiede 04-26-2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert
there is a write up about a resistor you can make to fix the problem.

Great advice, is the write up on this board or should I Google for it? Does anybody have the link?

Thanks!

Walter

Earthworm 04-27-2005 09:45 AM

I was planning on writing a how-to on this.

Treppiede 04-27-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I was planning on writing a how-to on this.

How hard is this procedure?

Thanks,

Walter

Earthworm 04-27-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treppiede

It isn't. It could be wired in 15 minutes. I'm sure the instructions are on the site...a simple search would find it.

svxpert 04-27-2005 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treppiede

Thanks,

Walter

go to the search feature and type in "heat soak"

oab_au 04-28-2005 05:39 PM

Hi, search this thread.

"Car not starting when hot, totally dead"

It has the best description of the relay fitting.

Harvey.
ps. is your father into Ducatis also?