The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help Needed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64984)

ParkerC137 12-27-2019 12:04 AM

Help Needed

This post is for my dad as he is the owner of the SVX in question. He hasn't been able to get his started since he replaced the fuel pump almost two months ago. His is a 1995 and it'll crank slowly but not turn over. If anyone can give him some advice or even a helping hand it would be greatly appreciated. We're located in NEPA around the Wilkes Barre Area.

irox 12-27-2019 12:16 AM

Re: Help Needed

Was the car running before the fuel pump was replaced?

I would guess the car had some problem, and the fuel pump was replaced in hope it would fix the problem. But since it's not ran since the new fuel pump, I'm guessing it didn't fix the problem.

I've replaced my fuel pump to fix a problem, and it turned out to be a completely different problem. In my case it turned out to be the wiring to the MAF connector, but in your case you could see those symptoms with a failing MAF.

Since the fuel pump was changed, was the fuel pressure checked?

Also, did your dad check for any error codes?
Even if the check engine light isn't on, the computer could be storing error codes that could help identify the problem.

Good luck!
Ian.

ParkerC137 12-27-2019 12:47 AM

Yes it was running before he changed the fuel pump. He also fixed some wireing problems along the lines for the fuel pump.

Blacky 12-27-2019 03:45 AM

When you turn the key on, just before the start position, can you hear the fuel pump run?

SoCoNoHa 12-27-2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 751656)
When you turn the key on, just before the start position, can you hear the fuel pump run?

Ya what he said. The pump should prime itself for a second or two when the key is turned to ignition. That'll confirm the wiring and new pump are good to go. Also, perhaps try to find some photos of the fuel lines back there to ensure they were reinstalled correctly, I imagine the FPR wouldn't work very well in reverse.

Did it always crank slowly? Sounds like a potential new wiring issue if it previously cranked quicker. Bad ground or such?

ParkerC137 12-30-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa (Post 751657)
Ya what he said. The pump should prime itself for a second or two when the key is turned to ignition. That'll confirm the wiring and new pump are good to go. Also, perhaps try to find some photos of the fuel lines back there to ensure they were reinstalled correctly, I imagine the FPR wouldn't work very well in reverse.

Did it always crank slowly? Sounds like a potential new wiring issue if it previously cranked quicker. Bad ground or such?

Yes it was cranking slowly! :)
I'll update him with all of your suggestions.

Thank you,

lsupcar 01-03-2020 11:44 AM

If your issue is still unresolved, check, charge, or replace the battery and/or starter.

mikecg 01-11-2020 12:13 AM

I've had an issue with my battery in the past, where it would crank the engine, but didn't have enough extra juice to fire the coils plus run the pump and everything. I would try jumping it as well.

ParkerC137 04-16-2020 11:20 PM

So it's been a while but minor update. The fuel pump is working but we're not getting a spark. I'm pretty sure he's taken off the spark control module to check the voltage and it looks fine.