The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Won't start, second opinion please (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51387)

Paulrio74 08-22-2009 03:20 PM

Won't start, second opinion please

I think it is the starter, but would like a second opinion. There is no clicking that I can hear. I parked it, and when I came out, the dash idiot lights come on, but the starter doesn't engage. From the searching I did, I think it would be the starter. Could it be the fusible link, or something along those lines, maybe the relay? There is sufficient voltage at the battery and starter, but can't test the alternator as the engine doesn't turn over. The alternator is a 2 year old Bosch put on by the dealer for the previous owner.

svxfiles 08-22-2009 04:32 PM

Re: Won't start, second opinion please

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulrio74 (Post 614718)
I think it is the starter, but would like a second opinion. There is no clicking that I can hear. I parked it, and when I came out, the dash idiot lights come on, but the starter doesn't engage. From the searching I did, I think it would be the starter. Could it be the fusible link, or something along those lines, maybe the relay? There is sufficient voltage at the battery and starter, but can't test the alternator as the engine doesn't turn over. The alternator is a 2 year old Bosch put on by the dealer for the previous owner.

First turn off all things electrical, lights, radio, AC, interior loghts, etc.
Put on the parking brake, and shift the SVX into neutral.
Now keep trying to start it by turning the key to start.
Try it at least twenty times, preferably with a jump pack hooked up.
Then report back.

BTW you know that that are two
+wires that go to the starter, not counting the ground.

oab_au 08-22-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 614729)
First turn off all things electrical, lights, radio, AC, interior loghts, etc.
Put on the parking brake, and shift the SVX into neutral.
Now keep trying to start it by turning the key to start.
Try it at least twenty times, preferably with a jump pack hooked up.
Then report back.

BTW you know that that are two
+wires that go to the starter, not counting the ground.

And if that does not work, try holding the key in the start position, and moving the gear lever between Park and Neutral. See if it starts.

Harvey.

svxfiles 08-22-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 614735)
And if that does not work, try holding the key in the start position, and moving the gear lever between Park and Neutral. See if it starts.

Harvey.

And if THAT does not work, did you recently disconnect the battery?

michael 08-22-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

And if THAT does not work, did you recently disconnect the battery?
If this is the case, I'd say your battery terminal is loose or dirty. This happened to me the other day.

svxfiles 08-22-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 614759)
If this is the case, I'd say your battery terminal is loose or dirty. This happened to me the other day.

OR, he needs to reset his (anti-theft) alarm system.;)

trophy956 08-22-2009 07:33 PM

hi it seems llike it worked when you parked it ,starters rarely die with out signs ,there is no oem starter relay ,if you have a oem security system there can be a starter inturuped relay in the car ,but personel opinion is your car is suffering from voltage drop, if the battery is good ,buy or make a remote starter button ,its just a tool to help diag cars ,but there are many people here who talk of putting a relay in line ,i did this too but i used a oem 30amp relay from a kit subaru sells for mid 90s to install power outlets
it comes fused and works well ,good luck

subiemech85 08-22-2009 08:16 PM

HOTWIRE it!

nobody mentioned it before :confused:

Trevor 08-22-2009 08:47 PM

Turn on the lights, shine them on something so you can see them, or have someone else observe the results. Turn the key to the start position. If the lights do not dim slightly, the starter is not drawing current. In this event several obvious items are suspect.

michael 08-22-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 614776)
Turn on the lights, shine them on something so you can see them, or have someone else observe the results. Turn the key to the start position. If the lights do not dim slightly, the starter is not drawing current. In this event several obvious items are suspect.

If it's daytime you can use the dome light.

Paulrio74 09-08-2009 01:19 PM

Finally got it fixed. Turned out to be more than one cable that was corroded to the point of no copper left. Had to replace a them, all is well again. Thought I'd add that in case someone searches later.