The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Swap Engine & Transmission (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42306)

LC SVX 12-12-2007 05:09 PM

Swap Engine & Transmission

My son has a 93 SVX and the transmission is cracked. I picked up a 92 SVX that had been rear ended - but drives nicely. My plan is to pull the engine and transmission out of each and swap - put the 92 Engine & Transmission in the 93 SVX.

I've read on the forum that it would be easier to drop the engine & transmission (down and come out the bottom). Then replace the engine & transmission the same way (come up from the bottom).

Is there a written instruction for this? What problems will we face?

Any guideance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

jeffast 12-12-2007 05:16 PM

change the sparkplugs and reseal the motor while its out. I gave mine a 100,000 mile service while the motor was out, i reccomend doing that as it is less then 1.5 hrs work with the motor out.
remove the pitch stopped,then your looking at 6 bolts to get the transmission crossmember off, then 4 bolts to remove the trannie mount and x-member from the transmission, then you neet to remove the two nuts in the bottom of the engine subframe next to the power steering rack for the engin mounts, then remove a butt load of hoses and unplug the electrical and it should come right out.
there you have it, the worlds longest run on sentence.
all said and done your looking at probably 1 days work if you know what your doing. 2-3 if you havent done it before

edit: on second thought if your changing the trannie and engine, you might want to drop it out the bottom, you would need to remove the engine sube frame, never done it, believe it's like six bolts

huck369 12-12-2007 07:06 PM

If you're JUST Pulling the tranny, drop it out the bottom...but if you're pulling the motor AND tranny, pull them out the top....the motor will NOT come out the bottom without removing the front sub-frame...

And like Juff said, install new spark plugs ( the correct expensive ones) and new valve cover gaskets while it's out as they are much harder to do in the car.

svxfiles 12-12-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC SVX (Post 514890)
My son has a 93 SVX and the transmission is cracked. I picked up a 92 SVX that had been rear ended - but drives nicely. My plan is to pull the engine and transmission out of each and swap - put the 92 Engine & Transmission in the 93 SVX.

I've read on the forum that it would be easier to drop the engine & transmission (down and come out the bottom). Then replace the engine & transmission the same way (come up from the bottom).

Is there a written instruction for this? What problems will we face?

Any guideance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

The tranny alone weighs 250#s.
The engine weighs about 450#s

Either of these sharp edged jewels can remove a finger faster than you can say oops!
(Actually when you DO lose a finger you are usually much more colorful!:o:rolleyes:0
I would remove them one at a time, transmission first.
A how to is in my signature.:)

When removing the engine, remember that the windshield costs up to $1200!

I hope that you do not think I am being rude/crass,:o

but if you removed these engines and transmissions all the time you would not be asking for advice.;)

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm or call me.
Tom
301-707-3437

LC SVX 12-15-2007 10:35 PM

OK - my son and I have liberated the transmission - well, almost, the transmission is not clearing the front axles. It would appear that we need to remove more of the front axle. What are we missing?

Plan is to finish getting the transmission out then pull the engine. Then, oh boy, we get to do it all over with the other car before beginning to assemble. I work a rotation away from home so, tomorrow will be my last day before I head back to work.

Just so you guys know, the last time I worked on a vehicle of my own, it was a '71 GTO - things seemed a lot simpler then (but really this hasn't been that bad). Great working w/ my son.

Thanks

svxfiles 12-16-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC SVX (Post 515614)
OK - my son and I have liberated the transmission - well, almost, the transmission is not clearing the front axles. It would appear that we need to remove more of the front axle. What are we missing?
Plan is to finish getting the transmission out then pull the engine. Then, oh boy, we get to do it all over with the other car before beginning to assemble. I work a rotation away from home so, tomorrow will be my last day before I head back to work.

Just so you guys know, the last time I worked on a vehicle of my own, it was a '71 GTO - things seemed a lot simpler then (but really this hasn't been that bad). Great working w/ my son.

Thanks

To remove the front axles you have to push out the roll pins by the transmission, and seporate the steering knuckle at the lower control arm.:)
I remove the pinch bolt rather than the three bolts and nuts holding the ball joint to the lower control arm.

Tom