The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Brake Upgrades (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Brake Upgrades... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30417)

gest24 12-22-2005 07:14 PM

Brake Upgrades...

So I know other Subies brakes won't match up. But, are there any other cars I can find rotor or even Brembo kits that would work? I know Mustangs and a couple other car have the same bolt pattern we do but would any cross over stuff work?

intelisevil 12-22-2005 07:45 PM

Gee, there's a button up there that says Search, I wonder what that does . . .

Take a look at www.raceconcepts.net

gest24 12-22-2005 08:00 PM

oooh you got me... lol Sorry, kinda dealing with some illness so I was feeling lazy.

TomsSVX 12-22-2005 09:37 PM

Well he has a good thread going so don't punk him out. I wanna know what else we got. I am in the market for new brakes and would love to upgrade. Now Dayle has 2 listed and MOVEIT supposedly has a big brake kit out also... Do we have any other options?? I may just go the same route as old and get some drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads this time, stainless lines... that good stuff.

Tom

gest24 12-22-2005 09:57 PM

I have drilled/slotted up front.And my "ceramic" pads are worn and need replacing. But I decided to try EBC Green Stuff this time around. I just ask because I saw an SVX in the San Diego area with some mighty looking brakes under 17s. Was just curious if I could find some brembo stuff from other cars that'd fit since Subie decided to make no other car compatable with our beauty.

BordeauxComet 12-22-2005 11:00 PM

Did anyone ever find out if the '05 STi brakes will bolt on? The bolt pattern is 5x114.3 like the SVX, but unlike other Subarus. BTW, is that the same for the '06 STI?

odepaj 12-25-2005 05:01 PM

MOVEIT only has front caliper upgrades, i want to find a nice set of 4-piston calipers f/r. Would 4-pistons f/r be good or would it be better to have 2-pistons in the rear? I figured 4 all around would be balanced pretty well. Any ideas?

dustin

TomsSVX 12-25-2005 05:25 PM

the svx should have been equipt with 4 piston in the front and 2 in the rear. Sti upgrades would be awsome and probobly a perfect fit. But no one has the cash to shell out to see if they would fit.

Tom

gest24 12-25-2005 05:33 PM

I was thinking about that. Even if the Rotor would fit you could easily adapt products from other companies to our cars. I saw on motorsport warehouse that there is a 13" front brake upgrade available, but for $1800

TomsSVX 12-25-2005 10:10 PM

Besides... MOVEIT, or the two on Dayle's site I was wondering about any others if there were any knowns

Tom

drivemusicnow 12-25-2005 10:54 PM

Anyone with the time, patience, and a halfway decent amount of know how can put together their own kit.

You first have to look at master cylinder on the SVX, I'm not sure what size, nor what pressures it puts out. from there, I'd talk to Todd at TCE performance if you want to go the willwood direction, or call up one of the techs at StopTech.

Honestly, those are the only two brake manufacturers I'd go with, Other than adapting some of the newer porsche calipers ("big reds" or newer)

Really the only difficult part is the adapter plate. Other than that matching larger enough rotors to calipers is easy. You would be buying new lines (goodridge is my personal recomendation) Machining the adapter plate you would have to do some fabrication work, however it shouldn't be all that difficult. Make sure to "over engineer" (ie. Make it really thick metal), as the torsional loading on this piece is significant.

However DON"T just throw on any calipers... you NEED to make sure that the SVX mastercylinder can handle the amount and pressure of brake fluid used by all of the calipers. (4pots front and rear would work fine. I'm not sure if you would need a proportioning valve, or if the stock ABS could handle the difference, that is something you would need to look into.)

'E' 12-29-2005 09:32 AM

wrx 4 pot callipers

i have fitted wrx 4 pot callipers to my svx and have 2 pots for the rear but haven't tried fitting them yet. all you need to do is increase the diameter of the rotor and put a spacer between the calliper and the mounting points on the hub to centre it properly

TomsSVX 12-29-2005 09:33 AM

WRX or WRX STi brakes? I would love me a set of Brembos

Tom

'E' 12-29-2005 02:57 PM

wrx but the brembo's should bolt on in the same position it's just a case of clearance

TomsSVX 12-29-2005 03:37 PM

So what did you do? Re-drill the holes for the stubs?? I mean they are compeltely different patterns. Also, So you are just using a spacer to set the calipers in? or did you create a new bracket? Sorry for all of the questions but I am more than curious

Tom