The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tire Survey and Opinion (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22843)

Weebitob 11-23-2004 09:49 AM

Tire Survey and Opinion

I am currently trying to figure what is the most popular and to get the opinions of people what they think the best tire for the SVX is. The reason behind this is I am simply trying to figure what new tires I should get, since the Bridgestone Potenza RE95s I got with the SVX look pretty worn down. I looked on which is the best V rated all season tire. I eventually came to the conclusion that each tire has its own set of very unique pros and cons that not only affect what sort of weather they are in but also what type of automobile there on, what distance or length of time they tread lasts and how you drive with them. I want to find a set of tires that are not only generally good but also have cons which the SVX itself balances out. I wouldn't mind if it slightly gives in snow either.

I am very aware that tires affect the handling characteristics of a vehicle so I need your help. Oh yea, and price does play a small factor since I do not want to spend too much money on trying to obtain ultra high performance all season tires, except for Sumitomo or if you have any other reasonably priced tires.

If you have tires that are not on the poll list please feel free to tell me.

Seraph 11-23-2004 10:11 AM

I've invested in a decent amount of rubber for my SVXes at one time or another. I love the ContiExtremeContacts. They are quiet and is a general all season tires.

Dengue 11-23-2004 11:33 AM

How much is too much?

I have Pirelli Pzero/Nero m+s

I paid somewhere between 140-150 for them... size of course being an issue in the price... mine are 235/45 17

I really like the tires alot, but of course I'm a dork for new technology... (tires made by robots)

when I bought the car it had kuhmo ecsta supra's or some such on it.... I was told at the store that they were good tires, and they were less than the pirelli's but, buy what you like I say, or else I'd still be driving my ford ranger everywhere...

Skip

calisvx 11-23-2004 12:52 PM

iam also in the market for new tires ima in california down south if anyone could give me an idea of what set i should buy i would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
i have stock rimms:D

benebob 11-23-2004 12:59 PM

Can't vote but here is my next tire.

http://www.vulcantire.com/451_t.htm

Only $100 a piece. Granted they aren't all season and don't have the best life expectancy but for a limited use semi competition tire you can't go wrong. If I lived in Cali I'd definately go for it. Heck, elsewhere, you can buy snow tires and rims and store these in the winter and probably still save some money.

calisvx 11-23-2004 01:11 PM

thanks benebob
i will keep looking i like the idea prob is i drive alot!

calisvx 11-23-2004 01:13 PM

iam also in the market for new tires ima in california down south if anyone could give me an idea of what set i should buy i would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

Weebitob 11-23-2004 03:56 PM

Toyo might be the ones to be for me!

As of now I am considering getting the Toyo Proxes 4s. These tires seemed to get really good reviews on tires101 . However, Tirerack does not seem to carry this brand though so I couldn’t get a review from them. But that doesn't matter since I am getting them at the STS auto center for $104 per a tire, which is the lowest price I have ever seen V rated tires in my area for store retail. I got first dibs, k?

But is anyone on this already have a pair of these on their SVX and if so, tell me how they're like? If not, then consider me a guinea pig.:D

thundering02 11-23-2004 04:01 PM

Mounting, balancing, roadhazard, etc. $178 each after tax for the re950. My car had the z rated dunlops on it and I didn't like them at all the new v rated Bridgestones are WAY better.

Andy 11-23-2004 04:10 PM

For summer use, all of the clever money is on the new Goodyear F1. It has been wiping the board in all of the back-to-back tests.

Test 1

Test 2

Landshark 11-23-2004 05:39 PM

i couldn't vote twice - Avids on the SVX and ContiExtreme Contacts on the WRX (stock RE-92's were a frickin' safety hazard :rolleyes: ).

JeffN 11-23-2004 06:25 PM

Avons on the 97 after the godawful Cooper cobras made it the quietest and best gripping svx I've ever owned driven(maybe 6 cars). And the intro prices can't be beat. And made in the US no less (by cooper, ironically). and it;s the only tire I ever saw with a URL on the sidewall.

Gyear f1s on my M3 were fabulous also. Bstone RE940s were decent but noisier and less grippy than the avons. We have the original avons, not the AS's

Weebitob 11-24-2004 01:28 AM

Continue this thread

It would be a good idea if we keep this thread and poll up a bit longer since we have members here that still have not decided on what tire to get. In fact now I am at wits end since one store sells both the ContiExtremeContact and BFGoodrich Traction T/A V which got rave reviews at Tireshack and Road and Track. Even though the 500 mile, 45 day, trial for any Toyo tires bought at any authorized dealer, which STS is, seems rather intriguing. I also heard Toyo has a corporate warranty that covers non-defective caused puncture repairs and possible tire replacements for a certain time period. Oh well, I’ll decide soon.

So lets get it on!:)

SilverSpear 11-24-2004 02:03 AM

Pirelli P zero

Quote:

Originally posted by Dengue
How much is too much?

I have Pirelli Pzero/Nero m+s

I paid somewhere between 140-150 for them... size of course being an issue in the price... mine are 235/45 17

I really like the tires alot, but of course I'm a dork for new technology... (tires made by robots)

when I bought the car it had kuhmo ecsta supra's or some such on it.... I was told at the store that they were good tires, and they were less than the pirelli's but, buy what you like I say, or else I'd still be driving my ford ranger everywhere...

Skip

PIRELLI PZERO 's are the best, excellent choice buddy !!! but frankly saying guys, in my opinion it doesn't matter what choice of tires we put becaus ethe SVX is an AWD car, tire choice doesn't vary much as if our car is a 2 wheeler. but still I love this Tire.
PS: DON'T EVER BUY AVON TIRE FOR ANY CAR. My previous are Avon and they suck !!!!!!!!!

LarryIII 11-24-2004 04:51 AM

Re: Toyo might be the ones to be for me!

WEEBITOB,

Quote:

Originally posted by Weebitob
As of now I am considering getting the Toyo Proxes 4s. These tires seemed to get really good reviews on tires101 . However, Tirerack does not seem to carry this brand though so I couldn’t get a review from them. But that doesn't matter since I am getting them at the STS auto center for $104 per a tire, which is the lowest price I have ever seen V rated tires in my area for store retail. I got first dibs, k?

But is anyone on this already have a pair of these on their SVX and if so, tell me how they're like? If not, then consider me a guinea pig.:D