The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OOOOooo that smell. Whats that smell? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15000)

The Hunter 12-12-2003 01:48 AM

OOOOooo that smell. Whats that smell?

Every time I start my SVX I get a burt rubber smell coming out of the air vents. I also can smell it after a moderate to long ride outside. Ive checked everywhere and cant find a damn thing. any Ideas:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

LarryIII 12-12-2003 04:55 AM

Yes, I know what it is since I have it too, in my 92 SVX. My oil pump is beginning to leak and the synth. oil drips on the hot exhaust.
"There's nothing quite like the smell of burnt oil in the morning."

Noir 12-12-2003 06:15 AM

reminds me of 'apocolypse now'

robert duval says 'nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning...'

svxstl 12-12-2003 09:57 AM

Re: OOOOooo that smell. Whats that smell?

Quote:

Originally posted by The Hunter
Every time I start my SVX I get a burt rubber smell coming out of the air vents. I also can smell it after a moderate to long ride outside. Ive checked everywhere and cant find a damn thing. any Ideas:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
i'm having this issue too, but i can only smell it when i get out of the car after i've been driving for a while. leaky oil pump sounds expensive to fix! anyone have any good news?

Mr. Pockets 12-12-2003 10:35 AM

Re: Re: OOOOooo that smell. Whats that smell?

Quote:

Originally posted by svxstl

i'm having this issue too, but i can only smell it when i get out of the car after i've been driving for a while. leaky oil pump sounds expensive to fix! anyone have any good news?

Yeah - you can get the timing belt replaced at the same time for almost no additional labor.

Before you jump to the conclusion that your oil pump is bad, I recommend finding where your leak(s) actually is (are). Crawl under the car and follow the trail. The valve cover gaskets are common leak points, as are the front crank seal and cam seals.

SVXer95 12-12-2003 10:38 AM

If you get all of it done at the same time it really isn't all that bad. Considering all the work, its a pretty good deal.

I recently had done:
Water pump
Oil Pump
Timing Belt
Crank Seal
CamSeals
T belt tensioner
Thermostat

All for approx. $650. That is parts and labor. At a dealership!

svxstl 12-12-2003 10:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: OOOOooo that smell. Whats that smell?

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Yeah - you can get the timing belt replaced at the same time for almost no additional labor.

Before you jump to the conclusion that your oil pump is bad, I recommend finding where your leak(s) actually is (are). Crawl under the car and follow the trail. The valve cover gaskets are common leak points, as are the front crank seal and cam seals.

ah, but i just had my timing belt replaced 18,000 miles ago! i guess it's never too soon though, right :rolleyes:

The Hunter 12-12-2003 12:35 PM

No leaks

LIke I said before no leaks I looked everyware. I am fortunate enough to have a 2 post lift in my garage, so I checked it out before. If everyone is fairly confident that its oil the only thing I can think is that its all burning off before it shows up but the underside of my Ride it clean. Ill be posting pics soon of the car With the new Gold Axis 18s and the WRX blue with gold flake Paint. once I get it back.:D :D :D

Earthworm 12-12-2003 05:10 PM

Re: No leaks

Quote:

Ill be posting pics soon of the car With the new Gold Axis 18s and the WRX blue with gold flake Paint. once I get it back.:D :D :D
You better post pics!

...the SVX (WRX edition)

The Hunter 12-12-2003 05:27 PM

wrx svx Ha Ha HA

1 Attachment(s)
Thats good :D :D I'll be done in about a month and I'm NOT bringing it out till summer or till it warms up, and all the gravel and road salt and chemicals are gone. But yea I wanted that color so I'll be mixing up some House of Kolors and going to town. Except im using pearlecence and gold flake. heres a pic of the rims.

The Hunter 12-12-2003 05:30 PM

Back to the topic sorry

1 Attachment(s)
and the car presently. Now what was the main topic of this thread Ill stop here and start a new thread soon :D :D :D

NapaBavarian 12-18-2003 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Noir
reminds me of 'apocolypse now'

robert duval says 'nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning...'

I work with hot air balloons, so I always say I love the smell of propane in the morning:D

Andy 12-18-2003 02:24 PM

Re: Back to the topic sorry

Quote:

and the car presently. Now what was the main topic of this thread Ill stop here and start a new thread soon :D :D :D
Your wheels are on ba..........................