The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Changing the alternator tomorrow... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59125)

B 4 You 01-31-2012 09:44 PM

Changing the alternator tomorrow...

So, when I first loosen the locking nut that secures the tensioner pulley, it says to unbolt it 1 turn at the most. Will it work if I do half a turn? Then when I loosen the tensioner adjustment bolt, are there specific amounts of roations that I need to screw them back to? E.g., should I count how many times I unscrew it, or will it simply stop once it's on? :)

Hocrest 01-31-2012 09:53 PM

Re: Changing the alternator tomorrow...

I've never heard the "one turn" on the locking nut? You'll see that the pulley becomes loose, then stop turning. Before you turn out the long tensioner bolt. Get some penetrating oil on the upper threads. A few inches of the bolt has been exposed to the elements for XX,XXX miles and it tends to get resistant to turning as you get up to the gunk.

Also the easiest way to turn out the tensioner is to put your 12mm socket on the bolt. Then use the longest extension you have or multiple shorter extensions and poke them down below/behind the alt pulley. This will position your ratchet above the AC compressor. It's not a straight shot, so either use a wobbly or hold the socket on the bolt and don't fully insert the extension into the socket.

svxfiles 01-31-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 696053)
I've never heard the "one turn" on the locking nut? You'll see that the pulley becomes loose, then stop turning. Before you turn out the long tensioner bolt. Get some penetrating oil on the upper threads. A few inches of the bolt has been exposed to the elements for XX,XXX miles and it tends to get resistant to turning as you get up to the gunk.

Also the easiest way to turn out the tensioner is to put your 12mm socket on the bolt. Then use the longest extension you have or multiple shorter extensions and poke them down below/behind the alt pulley. This will position your ratchet above the AC compressor. It's not a straight shot, so either use a wobbly or hold the socket on the bolt and don't fully insert the extension into the socket.

OR a short 12mm ractheting box end.;)

dcarrb 02-01-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 696058)
OR a short 12mm ractheting box end.;)

Second that. A set of unremarkable ratcheting box-end wrenches is one of the better tool investments this non-mechanic has ever made.

dcb

svxfiles 02-01-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 696061)
Second that. A set of unremarkable ratcheting box-end wrenches is one of the better tool investments this non-mechanic has ever made.

dcb

When I started turning wrenches on (Fred Flintstones car as I remember)
these did not exist.
Now they are my most used tool!

kwren 02-01-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 696053)

A second "easiest way" would be to lubricate the threads and turn it with an air ratchet with the socket right on the bolt.

Keith:cool:

B 4 You 02-01-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 696066)
When I started turning wrenches on (Fred Flintstones car as I remember)
these did not exist.
Now they are my most used tool!

they had tools back then?!

:rolleyes:

1986nate 02-01-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 696077)
A second "easiest way" would be to lubricate the threads and turn it with an air ratchet with the socket right on the bolt.

Keith:cool:

Sure, if you want to snap the tensioner bolt.

svxfiles 02-02-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 696083)
they had tools back then?!

:rolleyes:

My friend Moog and I made them from stuff.
We had more time back then....
sigh.....

Dating was simpler too.

sigh........