The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Front License Plates (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9052)

JLittell 02-28-2003 02:02 PM

Front License Plates

OK..I always thought the front license plates look kind'a out of place on the SVX (ugly!) , therefore I took it off. Legally, I know that I am supposed to have a front plate on (A Colorado law). But do yourselves a favor while driving. Notice how many vehicles, especially the newer, that don't have front plates? I drove to work today and counted 12 cars going the other way in a 14 minute commute! What's up with that?? I dare the police to pull me over for not having a front plate! Is it a law in every state?

MNYPNNY 02-28-2003 02:07 PM

It's not a law in many states.
In fact, Colorado tried to get it on the ballot to change it to just rear plates last year, but the law enforcement commmunity didn't like it.
I so wish my car didn't have a front plate..... :(

~~Michelle

mattski 02-28-2003 02:19 PM

Some states have hefty fines for not having the front plate. I think someone in California got a $200 ticket for not having one.

NJ requires them and I had to purchase one from a member.

Matt

Seraph 02-28-2003 02:22 PM

In IL it's 100+ if I recall. But in places like IL where its frozen 1/2 the year, spray some water on the plate cover and you are set. I dare the cops to read the damn plate.

L

WestCoastSVX 02-28-2003 02:26 PM

LOL Very creative solution Lwin! :D

But I think the issue most of us are talking about here is not so much twarting the cops efforts to ID us (you have a ton of those BTW, are you a dealer or something?) it is more that we don't like the looks of the plate and bracket on front of the car, period.

Here in Washington you have to have a front plate. The last two years though they did away with renewing the stickers on the front plates, to save money apparently. So maybe by ending front plates all together they will figure out they can save even more! :D

Until then, the first thing I do when I get almost any car, is take off the front plate. Most modern cars just don't look good with them, IMHO. I get pulled over once in a while, but always just a warning. Never been pulled over in the same car after a warning, so not sure if they keep track, but I've never been fined. :D

ensteele 02-28-2003 02:49 PM

I don't have them on the front of any of my SVXs, because they look ugly. I carry the plate and plate bracket in the trunk in case I get pulled over and I can always show them that I have it and could put it on and hope for the best. :rolleyes: ;)

92SvxChick 02-28-2003 02:57 PM

I hate front plates on my cars...I got pulled over about 3 times for it and I told each cop that I was waiting for the front liscence plate bracket that was on back order from Subaru..works like a charm. I have done it with many other cars too. I think that they're just so surpised that you have a legitamate reason! Maybe you guys can try this excuse out.....

Megan

Seraph 02-28-2003 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGyver
LOL Very creative solution Lwin! :D

But I think the issue most of us are talking about here is not so much twarting the cops efforts to ID us (you have a ton of those BTW, are you a dealer or something?)

No... Although I heard that the dealers do make a ton of money. I like to play with the watchers. It's fun. Try it sometimes. They are used to humble scared people. They are not used to people that say "You do it, so I do it too" type of people. :D :D :D

L

Green1995SVX 02-28-2003 03:36 PM

PA doesnt require you to have a front plate. When I got my car, the factory plug things were even in the front bumper. YAY :D

Mike

WestCoastSVX 02-28-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
PA doesnt require you to have a front plate. When I got my car, the factory plug things were even in the front bumper. YAY :D

Mike

I'm jealous! Mine had the front plate bracket on so when I took it off I had to put screws in the holes cause I was afraid they might rust. :rolleyes: Plugs would be nice!

(doesn't really matter as soon I should have a different bumper cover:p )

svxeno 02-28-2003 05:49 PM

Florida doesn't have front plates. We actually call them "tags" here. I took the front plate bracket off and placed black plugs in the holes. I guess that would be my very first "Mod".

Randy (Fronttagless) ii

phoenix96 02-28-2003 06:09 PM

My car has never had front plates. It came from Florida and evidently never even had the bracket installed. Since front plates are the law in CA, I bought a bracket last summer..... but it's still sitting in my house. Hey, I've been driving the car since last April and no problem yet... :p

Subafreak 02-28-2003 07:38 PM

I have to have a front plate in R.I. too. So on my Legacy I made a hinged bracket that would just lie flat under the bumper at speed an come back down as you slowed. It was cool. I want to do it to my SVX too, but I need to get one of those cool bumbers first. I kept waiting to get pulled over for not having a front plate so I could just say( It was their last time I checked) and the cop would go look and walk away scratching his head, ha,ha.

Ron Mummert 02-28-2003 10:26 PM

Then I guess I'm the only one here that thinks front plates should be mandatory. I understand the complaints, because most vehicle manufacturers treat their placement as an afterthought. However....
As a motorist who thinks tailgaters deserve a full day's worth of bodily torture before being put to death, I like to know from where the idiot, who's glued to my bumper in rush hour at 70mph, hails from. Any "accident" resulting from said idiot touching my car will be duly reported by my noting the number/lettering & state of said offender.

Ron (Grrrr).

wasions 02-28-2003 10:56 PM

I like front plates. :) I wish they could give us plates for the sides too. :) And a real big one for the roof (for helicopters). :) And maybe one for the inside of the car. :) I think plates are cool. :)
:cool: cool :cool: