The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Photo buffs? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23301)

Mr. Pockets 12-18-2004 11:19 AM

Photo buffs?

I seem to remember that there were some photography buffs on the site.

My wife and I couldn't decide what to get eachother for christmas. Any ideas we had wouldn't have been a surprise for either of us.

So we just decided to get one thing that was for both of us - a Canon digital SLR. Woohoo! I ordered it from B&H on Tuesday and it came yesterday.

What a great camera - exactly what I was hoping for out of a digital SLR. I got it with a 2GB Hitachi Microdrive, which seems capable of storing way more pictures than I expected. On the 'auto' settings, it'll hold 400+.

Anyway, I had some time to play with my film SLR in FL last July when I helped my parents move onto a new farm. The whole place is covered in just weird stuff. No, really - you have no idea. Anyway, I think I took some cool pictures, so I'm looking forward to going down next week and comparing results.

Mr. Pockets 12-18-2004 01:11 PM

It's clear that I'm going to have to adjust the way I think about taking pictures. I put a photo in my locker (under a folder calld 'New Camera') that I took this morning with the digital. It was taken with a shutter speed of 1/13 - which I'd never try with a film camera, shooting a subject like a cat, without a tripod. But with the digital it's not blurry. Awesome.

I also reduced the image to 1/4 of its native size from the camera. Man, this thing takes nice shots. It's so much better than I am. :p

SVXer95 12-18-2004 05:10 PM

Great job on the gift! I love digital SLR's. I use a Nikon D70 at work and I love it. I hear that the Canon dRebs are very easy to use and take some great shots.

Chiketkd 12-18-2004 08:22 PM

The quality of that pic in your locker is unreal Pockets! Great camera!!!

-Chike

Tim 12-18-2004 11:29 PM

Sweet camera... I've always liked the Canon D-SLR Image quality.

I find it second to none in most scenarios.

Alycone 12-18-2004 11:31 PM

I've got to go digital one of these days. Cant say I have much interest in photography but I sure enjoy taking tons of pictures of my car. :)

Mr. Pockets 12-21-2004 04:15 PM

Dammit

Well, crap. Both the camera and the MicroDrive are broken. The camera won't turn on no matter what I do and the MicroDrive won't read in anything I put it in.

What really pisses me off is that B&H won't ship me a new camera without either having the broken one back or charging me for another one. Any time I've ever RMA'd something, the company has always sent me a new one with a return label for the old one. But B&H won't do that.

It really makes me mad. I've done business with them for, what, 5 years now? And I may not be a pro spending thousands at once, but this camera was expensive for me, man. It's not cheap. And I don't trust them to refund me once they get the broken one back.

To make matters worse, the shipping label thy sent me to use is UPS ground. I won't get the replacement for weeks! We're leaving for FL today.

Argh. :mad:

SHISVX 12-21-2004 04:54 PM

that bites pockets!:mad:

they wouldn't even do a special ship? it's the freaking holidays!

bastads

Kelli

NapaBavarian 12-22-2004 06:49 PM

Actually they all wear little tiny hats like the pope, but they arn't Catholic... I've been in the store in New york. Digital cammeras are coming out so fast now that the quallity probably isn't up to the standards of high end film SLRs, I have my eye on the Nikon D2H, but cannon makes an equally good product, even if it does take a couple tries to get one that works.

n00b on demand 12-22-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone
I've got to go digital one of these days. Cant say I have much interest in photography but I sure enjoy taking tons of pictures of my car. :)
I was looking through your locker....you experiment with photochop too much ali :D

Mr. Pockets 12-23-2004 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NapaBavarian
Digital cammeras are coming out so fast now that the quallity probably isn't up to the standards of high end film SLRs, I have my eye on the Nikon D2H, but cannon makes an equally good product, even if it does take a couple tries to get one that works.
I'm no pro, so the Rebel Digital is certainly up to the standards I expect. The picture quality (providing it turns on in the first place) is excellent, that's for sure. It may not behave exactly like a film camera, but that's fine. It is, after all, a new medium.

Anyway, I'm sure that in the next few years digital SLRs will only get more capable and less expensive. The pro models are pushing 16.7 megapixels, and someday I'm sure Canon and Nikon will both be selling consumer and 'prosumer' models with that kind of capability. I kept saying I was going to wait until they got good enough and cheap enough. For me, they have.