The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   searching for 2nd on upshift (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22646)

TorG0d 11-14-2004 06:35 PM

searching for 2nd on upshift

Today I was attempting to pass an Audi on the freeway doing about 75 or so. Instead of the transmission shifting, the RPMs climbed to redline and the car never found a gear until I let up off the gas. This rarely happens, maybe 4 times since I've had the car (1 time on old tranny, 3 times on new). What could be causing this? TCU malfunction? Something internal to the tranny? It seems to me that the car is looking to shift into 2nd as max speed for that gear is around 80mph.

ilsegretosvx 11-14-2004 09:11 PM

its the brake band and its on its way bye, bye. Mine just did the same thing 2 weeks ago and then nothing. Be very carefull and get AAA

TorG0d 11-14-2004 10:53 PM

Huh. This transmission has less than 15k on it . . . is it internal to the tranny or what?

lee 11-15-2004 02:26 PM

yes it's internal, and unless it was badly adjusted on the rebuild, it has gone south regardless of the mileage.

at this point I would search for band adjustment, and while it's a pain, I would do it just to see if the tranmsission can be salvaged. You'll need a 7mm and 17mm wrench - and it helps if you sideline as a contortionist.

oab_au 11-15-2004 02:46 PM

Re: searching for 2nd on upshift

Quote:

Originally posted by TorG0d
Today I was attempting to pass an Audi on the freeway doing about 75 or so. Instead of the transmission shifting, the RPMs climbed to redline and the car never found a gear until I let up off the gas. This rarely happens, maybe 4 times since I've had the car (1 time on old tranny, 3 times on new). What could be causing this? TCU malfunction? Something internal to the tranny? It seems to me that the car is looking to shift into 2nd as max speed for that gear is around 80mph.
Are you sure that it is 2nd gear that the box is kicking back to?

At 75 mph in 4th, I would think it would be 3rd gear that it would go back to. If it is 3rd, then it would be the high clutch that is slipping.

Was the cooler cleaned out when the box was replaced?

Harvey.;)

Mr. Pockets 11-15-2004 04:42 PM

Re: Re: searching for 2nd on upshift

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

Are you sure that it is 2nd gear that the box is kicking back to?

At 75 mph in 4th, I would think it would be 3rd gear that it would go back to. If it is 3rd, then it would be the high clutch that is slipping.

Was the cooler cleaned out when the box was replaced?

Harvey.;)

I agree with Harry - I doubt that it's shifting to 2nd. It sounds to me like it's just slipping. Keep it from doing this as little as possible and take it to somebody. But it sounds like your high clutch.

TorG0d 11-15-2004 08:50 PM

At least it's still under warranty . . . I think. I'll have to find the paperwork. And it wasn't a rebuild, it was a new tranny imported directly from Subaru in Japan . . . cost my warranty company around $4500 . . . Think I'll change the fluid and go from there. I can't afford ANYTHING right now, and I have some DexronIII/MerconII lying around . . . Thanks for the advice, but I have no other running vehicle and have to commute 50 miles a day.