The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driver window won't go down. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10376)

svx_commuter 04-29-2003 05:09 AM

Driver window won't go down.

:( The switch for the driver window is acting funny. I can hear it try to go up but it will not go down. The switch feels spongy? Is this the "clean the contacts" fix?

Aredubjay 04-29-2003 08:42 AM

Re: Driver window won't go down.

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
:( The switch for the driver window is acting funny. I can hear it try to go up but it will not go down. The switch feels spongy? Is this the "clean the contacts" fix?
More than likely, this is the "The housing around the driver's switch has cracked and if I don't get some epoxy on it soon, I'll have to by another 100.00 switch" fix. :D:D:D

Aredubjay 04-29-2003 08:46 AM

To be more specific, the driver's switch is unique in that it has more mechanics than the rest of the switches. It does not operate on contacts alone, but has a "shaft" that engages the mechanism, especially the "auto" feature.

The driver's switch, unlike the other switches is housed in a "box" built into the plastic housing, which holds the pivot points for the switch itself. With age, the plastic "box" begins to crack, and it eventually falls apart if there is no intervention to shore it up. Once the plastic box is broken completely, you lose your pivot points and, unfortunately, you can't just "fix" the driver's switch. I hate this design, because, you end up having to replace the ENTIRE switchbank because of the loss of one switch. Ridiculous.

Try to intervene, before the thing breaks completely.

svx_commuter 04-29-2003 09:16 AM

Yeah, Okay I took it apart. The white projection that goes into the contact box doesn't move correctly. It does not appear to be firmly attached to the black toggle switch, the part I touch, on the other side. Now I have to get the black toggle piece off the assembly.

SVX JAZZ 04-29-2003 09:35 AM

fixed mine

Mine broke a while back. I couldn't get the window to go up. The black square on the switch that houses the white projection had craked not alowing there to be any support when I pushed on the switch. I took thee switch out and glued the white piece into the housing on the switch. Not only does it work but I have my auto up and down feature back.

P.S. Power steering is still working fine. Can you believe it!?

svx_commuter 04-29-2003 01:19 PM

That's the same way mine broke. Cracked down the sides of the black square thru the pivot holes. I glued the white pin projection with spring loaded pin into the black part. Then I drilled a couple of holes and ran a fine copper wire thru the holes and twisted it. I needed a fast fix and couldn't wait for the glue to dry. I haven't checked the auto feature yet. It never worked before. I replaced my PS pump last summer. It was making a lot of strange noises.