The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trembling by pulling the steering wheel to the right or left... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58376)

Pierre-Olivier 09-28-2011 03:53 AM

Trembling by pulling the steering wheel to the right or left...

Hi everyone,

I just have had a problem, my SVX is trembling at very slow speed by pulling the steering wheel to the right or left thoroughly... Where is this problem?
Help me, please... :confused:

Front-wheel axle ? Rack and pinion steering ?

Thanks,
Pierre-Olivier

icingdeath88 09-28-2011 08:27 AM

Re: Trembling by pulling the steering wheel to the right or left...

Any squealing from the P/S pump belt? My blue car used to do that and slip the belt quite audibly. Changed the belt and it's better now.

jcimos 09-28-2011 10:38 AM

Yeah check your belts first and if its not that then try to see if your power steering fluids shows movement in the resivor. If you do not see the power steering fluids moving then you may have a dead power steering pump.

Pierre-Olivier 09-28-2011 12:43 PM

Nop, the power steering pump and belts have been changed, last year !

92snowmachine 09-28-2011 01:44 PM

sounds like the transmission is binding to me.

SVXx2 10-01-2011 08:47 PM

Unfortunately, that is a symptom of a transmission going bad. I had to have the one in my '96 replaced, and now my '92 is giving me the same symptoms.

icingdeath88 10-01-2011 09:46 PM

Binding is not that bad of a problem. Can very often be fixed by replacing solenoid C, which doesn't even require taking the trans out of the car.

ensteele 10-02-2011 11:29 AM

Wait! Before you do anything else, check the O-Ring under the PS reserve tank! I am willing to bet that is your problem. It is a $1.00 part and can give all kinds of symptoms. Do that first and if that doesn't fix it, we can go from there.

Members have replaced PS pumps and still had problems and when they replaced the O-ring, all problems went away. Good luck. :)

Crazy_pilot 10-02-2011 11:36 AM

Does the shuddering occur as you're steering or once you're already holding the wheel hard over? Is it through the steering wheel or through the whole car? If it's just through the wheel and as you're steering then I'm with Earl, that's a typical symptom of air in the steering lines and most likely caused by that pesky o-ring.

Symptoms of a binding AWD are the following:
-Shuddering through the whole car while making tight turn at low (parking) speeds
-Having to "force" the car to move at those speeds (ie: it feels like the car is being dragged back or slowed down while trying to turn)

In any case, the o-ring fix costs almost nothing and takes very little time or skill. Try that first and let us know how it goes.