The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hail damage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55028)

edmsvx 07-12-2010 11:18 PM

Hail damage

Well the couple of door dings I've gain since I got my JDM made me feel sad, but that pales how I feel by the Hail damage done now on the roof, hood, front fenders, doors and turn signal light :mad:

I'm guessing 50+ dents on both the roof and hood. Anyone know what is normally involved in fixing this type of damage and cost?

I'll see what insurance has to say tomorrow if I can get through. Probably 1 in 3 or 4 cars I could see damage to on my trip home from work.

Gamesy 07-13-2010 12:23 AM

Re: Hail damage

if you are gonna get work done get it done soon b4 the "metal memory" keeps the shape of the dent and is harder to buff.
you coul try taking a hairdryer to some of em and carfully warm up the metal it might pop right out

Mike621 07-13-2010 07:19 AM

"Using dry ice to repair dents in car bodies caused by hail is an old trick. The idea is to freeze the dented area and then to reheat it suddenly. The change in temperature causes the metal to contract and then expand in such a way that very often any dents "pop" right out as if they never existed in the first place. Occasionally you may wish to lightly rub the area with 0000-grit steel wool if the paint has cracked, but other than that dry ice and heat can be a "miracle cure" for hail stone dings.

Read more: How to Use Dry Ice to Repair Hail Damage"

http://www.ehow.com/how_4793357_dry-...il-damage.html

Mike621 07-13-2010 07:20 AM

"Step 1
Check your local yellow pages for a dry ice dealer in your area. Take a Styrofoam chest to carry the dry ice in. Do not touch dry ice with your bare hands.

Step 2
Put on gloves. Place a chuck of dry ice on one or more of the hail dings and use a towel to help hold the dry ice in place. Make sure the dry ice is in direct contact with the metal of the car. You want the dry ice to freeze the metal. Leave the dry ice in contact with the metal of the car for a full two minutes.

Step 3
Remove the dry ice (return it to your Styrofoam container) and immediately blow hot air from a hairdryer onto the frozen metal with the hail ding. The sudden change in temperature should cause the metal to expand and "pop" out, making the damaged area look as good as new.

Step 4
Rub the area gently with 0000-grit steel wool if there are any tiny cracks in the paint around the dinged area. Wipe the area with a damp cloth and allow it to dry.
"

I have not used this technique personally, so I cannot recommend it from experience.

benebob 07-15-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 652483)
"Step 1
Check your local yellow pages for a dry ice dealer in your area. Take a Styrofoam chest to carry the dry ice in. Do not touch dry ice with your bare hands.

Step 2
Put on gloves. Place a chuck of dry ice on one or more of the hail dings and use a towel to help hold the dry ice in place. Make sure the dry ice is in direct contact with the metal of the car. You want the dry ice to freeze the metal. Leave the dry ice in contact with the metal of the car for a full two minutes.

Step 3
Remove the dry ice (return it to your Styrofoam container) and immediately blow hot air from a hairdryer onto the frozen metal with the hail ding. The sudden change in temperature should cause the metal to expand and "pop" out, making the damaged area look as good as new.

Step 4
Rub the area gently with 0000-grit steel wool if there are any tiny cracks in the paint around the dinged area. Wipe the area with a damp cloth and allow it to dry.
"

I have not used this technique personally, so I cannot recommend it from experience.

It works fine for motorcycle gas tanks but if the paint cracks (and it will) it will eventually be a concern for rust.

SoCal LS-L 07-15-2010 08:58 PM

Ahhhhh, dry ice :)

I can tell you the temptation to misuse that stuff is overwhelming. If you happen to stuff some into a 2-Liter bottle with some water, I wouldnt hold on for long ;)

Curiously, dry ice (frozen CO2) is the only substance that sublimates, which is why it like to make sealed containers go boom.

Observe le idiots:

Hocrest 07-16-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 652719)
Curiously, dry ice (frozen CO2) is the only substance that sublimates...

Tell that to the shrinking ice cubes in my freezer...

subeman90 07-16-2010 09:12 AM

there was a video on youtube of a guy with a hair dryer and a can of that compressed air that you use to clean computers with. He did it to a dent on on a car and it came out pretty good. I'd search for it myself but I can't b/c i am at work right now.

ensteele 07-16-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 652719)
Ahhhhh, dry ice :)

I can tell you the temptation to misuse that stuff is overwhelming. If you happen to stuff some into a 2-Liter bottle with some water, I wouldnt hold on for long ;)

Curiously, dry ice (frozen CO2) is the only substance that sublimates, which is why it like to make sealed containers go boom.

Observe le idiots:

The guy with the one hand was sure surprised when it blew up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoCal LS-L 07-16-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 652744)
Tell that to the shrinking ice cubes in my freezer...

Your cat is sneaking into the icebox, licking them into oblivion whilst you sleep.

The more you know.....
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...e_you_know.jpg

svxfiles 07-16-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 652761)
The guy with the one hand was sure surprised when it blew up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The gene pool needs ALOT more clorine!:rolleyes:

ensteele 07-16-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 652767)
The gene pool needs ALOT more clorine!:rolleyes:

+14 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: