The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Strange new problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49040)

Wikedjuggalo 02-08-2009 12:14 PM

Strange new problem

Okay, well after calling OT and not being sure I figured I'd ask the network. My car has been out of commission for a month after my last over heating issue. Well today I was going to repair the necessary thermostat but decided to check my fluids. Now I didn't loose much coolant but my oil was low. I unscrewed the oil cap and got a nice big whiff of exhaust fumes. What in the world would cause this.

Please feel free to post any ideas to which you think it might be

Also... I had a nice look in my overflow tank and got this
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...g?t=1234121055

SuberNatural 02-08-2009 12:23 PM

Re: Strange new problem

Are you sure it was exhaust, or was it the smell of burnt oil? If you oil was low enough and your motor got hot enough it could cause some vaporization of the oil. Is your oil REALLY dark or anything like that?

When I once had a headgasket cause some overheating when I opened the filler cap on the VC there was a little 'smoke' if you will from the vaporization.

Wikedjuggalo 02-08-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuberNatural (Post 586500)
Are you sure it was exhaust, or was it the smell of burnt oil? If you oil was low enough and your motor got hot enough it could cause some vaporization of the oil. Is your oil REALLY dark or anything like that?

When I once had a headgasket cause some overheating when I opened the filler cap on the VC there was a little 'smoke' if you will from the vaporization.

No, I know the smell of burning oil and I had two other people smell it and concur with me it was exhaust.

SuberNatural 02-08-2009 01:35 PM

Thats probably blow-by then. Exhaust gasses getting past worn rings and into the crank case.

b3lha 02-09-2009 03:31 AM

I'm no mechanic, but overheating, exhaust in the oil and gunk in the coolant sounds a lot like headgasket failure. :(

Wikedjuggalo 02-09-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 586640)
I'm no mechanic, but overheating, exhaust in the oil and gunk in the coolant sounds a lot like headgasket failure. :(

Aye. it could be but its adding up more to be worn rings then head gasket. The coolant/oil hadn't gone down or missing. I have a feeling I will end up pulling the engine and doing an engine swap/rebuild :/

Francis 02-09-2009 10:49 AM

looks like what happened to me.

i'd go on the headgasket...

oil was going to expansion tank. and then coolant was overflowing from the top of it . too much stuff in here

SoCal LS-L 02-09-2009 01:07 PM

Exhaust gasses in the crankcase is COMPLETELY normal, all older engines do it. If youre worried about your headgasket, get a block tester kit to see if there is any exhaust gasses in your cooling system. Its easy and takes maybe 3 minutes..... I rented it from Autozone for free and paid $8 for the fluid.

redlightningsvx 02-09-2009 09:22 PM

It looks like dirt in your tank. Is your wheel well intact because a wheel well with a hole in it will fling dirt into your collant tank.

Wikedjuggalo 02-09-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 586804)
It looks like dirt in your tank. Is your wheel well intact because a wheel well with a hole in it will fling dirt into your collant tank.

Yes it is intact :(. I am afraid it is not dirt but build up of some kind. I have narrowed it down to either worn rings or headgasket working on getting a replacement engine.

SSSVX 02-09-2009 11:22 PM

Hm sorry to see your new problem.

Your SVX has 188K? How good shape your SVX is?

Interested at buying my nice low mile motor? Or whole car?
You can make two into one real nice one and have some for spare! :rolleyes:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...light=teal+SVX

I don't have lot of times to deal with this. Maybe few months later I will make some better decisions.

Wikedjuggalo 02-09-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX (Post 586817)
Hm sorry to see your new problem.

Your SVX has 188K? How good shape your SVX is?

Interested at buying my nice low mile motor? Or whole car?
You can make two into one real nice one and have some for spare! :rolleyes:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...light=teal+SVX

I don't have lot of times to deal with this. Maybe few months later I will make some better decisions.

Motor yes :) but I believe you should get it fixed. I know it looks bad but its low mileage =D

SSSVX 02-09-2009 11:38 PM

Just motor? Let me think about it! =D

I still have the yellow one, and I don't have times to deal with this.

It drives fine and it will make it to NC with no problems =P

My poor car :)

Wikedjuggalo 02-09-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX (Post 586820)
Just motor? Let me think about it! =D

I still have the yellow one, and I don't have times to deal with this.

It drives fine and it will make it to NC with no problems =P

My poor car :)

I would hate to dismantle it, I am sure if you put it on the for sale section someone with some bodywork knowledge would love to pick it up. =D unless its not repairable.

SSSVX 02-10-2009 12:08 AM

It is repairable if you have cash ! =D

If you drive it, you won't feel nothing much's wrong until you open the door and look at outside =D

I could fix the fender and door myself if I have time, it'll be really good if I find the same color ones. =) the rear quarter panel is another story.

Yeah, if I could get a fair price on the whole car, I might let her go.

Thanks, and good luck on fixing your engine. It seems the good used motors are running like 600 to 700 ++ range...?!