The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "let's see who can build the ugliest car.." (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4350)

alacrity024 05-31-2002 04:24 PM

"let's see who can build the ugliest car.."

Well each summer, the radio station at which I work gives away a car. Two years ago it was a Suzuki Vitara (mini-suv) with a v6. Last year it was a yellow New Beetle with cute little Daisy rims, and this year............... a Suzuki Aerio. I can't imagine more than fifty people will want to win this car. This thing is by far one of the ugliest automobiles I've ever seen. It looks like a bodykitted Toyota Echo that's been beat with an ugly stick. The suits are thinking about letting me pick some new rims for it, but I don't think that they'll help very much.

I haven't actually driven it yet, but from what I understand, it's a ballsy little machine. The engine is good for 140 horsepower, which isn't a terrible number for such a small car. It's also a five-speed, so at least it'll be entertaining to row through the gears.

Stay tuned for driving impressions. If I don't drive it into a lake first.

-Adam

LarryIII 05-31-2002 04:38 PM

My vote for Mr. Ugly-Car is the Pontiac Aztek (AzDrecht).

As Bobby Rafferty -ownwer of Rafferty Pontiac, GMC, Subaru, Inc.(my favorite dealership)- once told me; "The Aztek is the best tool we have to sell Montanas."

Larry III

Green1995SVX 05-31-2002 05:02 PM

You know, i was with my grandmother at the local oldsmobile/suzuki dealer a couple nights ago helping her buy a new car, and i was looking at the aerio wagon thingy, and i really liked it! I think its cool!

-Mike ;)

Uncamitzi 05-31-2002 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
My vote for Mr. Ugly-Car is the Pontiac Aztek (AzDrecht).

Larry III

I'll second that one!! Ugly designed by the sight impaired!!!:eek:

Beav 05-31-2002 05:47 PM

I think it's a toss-up between the Aztec and the Echo. In fact, they both make me toss-up... ;)

MNYPNNY 05-31-2002 06:14 PM

You couldn't pay me enough to drive an Aztek or even be seen in it!!

~~Michelle

PDhamSVXer 05-31-2002 06:19 PM

I third the vote for the Aztec i will also include the Pontiac Vibe and Avalanche. They all look as if they were built with lego parts. The big molded bumbers and gray plastic everywhere is not conducive to a beautiful automobile. :)

In fact there arent many American cars that i would say have "great lines." I do, however, really like the Chrysler/Dodge line. I think the Intrepid and 300M are two of the best looking american luxury/sport sedans and the Sebring is also a beautiful car.

Just my $0.02

Paul

Beav 05-31-2002 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PDhamSVXer
I third the vote for the Aztec i will also include the Pontiac Vibe and Avalanche. They all look as if they were built with lego parts. The big molded bumbers and gray plastic everywhere is not conducive to a beautiful automobile. :)

In fact there arent many American cars that i would say have "great lines." I do, however, really like the Chrysler/Dodge line. I think the Intrepid and 300M are two of the best looking american luxury/sport sedans and the Sebring is also a beautiful car.

Just my $0.02

Paul

I agree, the Chyslers are looking better than ever. Too bad they're such pieces of uh.....Chrysler. I think Chrysler is where the engineers that can't cut it at GM go for their next job. What in the world was Mercedes Benz thinking?

tober76b 05-31-2002 10:05 PM

Re: "let's see who can build the ugliest car.."

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
This thing is by far one of the ugliest automobiles I've ever seen.
-Adam

are you refering to the 'fastback' or the sedan?
the fastback is definitely an eye-soar...not to mention the enormous blindspots caused by those back pillars. the sedan doesn't look so bad, though.
toby

wasions 05-31-2002 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PDhamSVXer
I third the vote for the Aztec i will also include the Pontiac Vibe and Avalanche.
Paul

Here's worse. Can you say Escalade? Can you spell EXT? :eek:

smokinsvx 05-31-2002 11:26 PM

aztec

Its funny you guys talking about the asstec, I sold chryslers for years and when the pt cruiser came out the originally had a color called azetc yellow and they pulled it because of the asstec. Now they call it Inca gold . Go figure

Beav 05-31-2002 11:47 PM

PT Cruiser, as in PT Barnum, as in "There's a sucker born every minute?" :p

wawazat?? 06-01-2002 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav

I agree, the Chyslers are looking better than ever. Too bad they're such pieces of uh.....Chrysler. I think Chrysler is where the engineers that can't cut it at GM go for their next job. What in the world was Mercedes Benz thinking?

I agree with you 100% Beav!

I purchased a Chrysler 300M for my last company car. Loved the lines and styling, but the car was poorly screwed (:confused: snapped??)together and the systems were poorly built. Took the extended warranty and it paid for itself ($1200) two times over before I got rid of the car with 77,XXX miles.

My VW Passat Variant has been a stellar vehicle. It's also much easier to haul the family hounds around in a station wagon.

alacrity024 06-01-2002 09:18 AM

tober-

I'm not so sure that I'd call this vehicle a "fastback." A 1970 big block mustang? maybe.. a 140 horsepower four-banger shipped across the ocean with a crankcase full of rice oil? no. It's a sort of wagon/hatchback/ugly thing. I suppose with larger wheels and maybe some lowering springs it wouldn't look too horrible, but the proportions are so screwed up when it comes off the showroom floor.

As far as american vehicles go, the new 'vettes have my vote, but imho they look too much like NSX's (not that it's such a bad thing) to be truly "american." same thing is true with the new mustangs. They try too hard to emulate the look of an imported machine. The 300m has been grabbing my attention for some time, actually. And there's another chrysler that I've spent a long time looking at whenever I've seen it. I think it's a slightly older Concorde.. the rims on it look EXACTLY like those of an AMG Mercedes... I've often wondered if it's a domestic or imported vehicle.

-Adam

249SVX 06-01-2002 09:52 AM

Those Suzukis are supposedly very light so it might just be a snappy little car.