The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yet another trip (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57972)

1986nate 08-05-2011 12:49 AM

Yet another trip

Alright, I'll keep this simple since I'm sure most of you get sick of me posting up these trips. Going to be making a trip to pick up an SVX and do some work on a couple people's SVX. I'll be leaving either the 22nd or 23rd of August, spending a couple nights in the Scranton, PA area, weekend of the 26th and staying til the 31st in New Jersey, then traveling down to Charleston, SC where I'll be until either the 9th or 10th of September. There is a small chance of me heading down to the Pensacola area after that but I won't know for sure either way for a couple days.

Here's the route, if anything wants/needs anything large or bulky, here's a great opportunity to not have to pay shipping costs.

Lots of rust free and straight Body panels/doors, glass, interior parts, engines, transmissions, etc.

pearlm30 08-05-2011 02:02 PM

Re: Yet another trip

Please check your PM.

Green1995SVX 08-05-2011 06:13 PM

You're going right by me if you need a place to stay. My SVX would also like a little attention. :)

1986nate 08-06-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 683357)
You're going right by me if you need a place to stay. My SVX would also like a little attention. :)

I'll see what works out Mike. It'd be nice to talk in person rather than on facebook all the time.:p
I'll probably swing up that way anyway, if anything for a bite to eat and :drool: over one of the nicest pearlies around.:D

1986nate 08-07-2011 09:47 PM

Soo, this trip is getting extended as I will also be heading down to Florida as well on this trip to do some work on a couple SVXi. As of right now, its going to be over a 4000 mile trip and probably about a month long.:eek:

icingdeath88 08-07-2011 11:46 PM

Drive careful, man. There are rogue couches everywhere just waiting to pounce.

1986nate 08-07-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 683502)
Drive careful, man. There are rogue couches everywhere just waiting to pounce.

:lol::lol:
Ya know it's funny, I've never had an issue with much of anything on my trips, but the last east coast trip I went on for the SVX meet and whatnot in May, I ran over 2 truck tire treads within an hour of each other. Luckily on the Caravan the K frame protects everything quite a bit and I didn't have a car on the dolly since it was on the way out. Then a few weeks ago when I picked up an SVX from Duluth, saw plenty of deer. Granted, I was pretty much expecting it as I was in the middle of nowhere and it was before dawn.
Hopefully no stupid couches or mattresses jumpin out in front of me.

LastSVXintheChi 08-13-2011 09:54 AM

what car do you take on these trips? you have so many too choose from :lol: it must be hard to pick ;)

Huskymaniac 08-13-2011 10:02 AM

What I am wondering is what you do for a living that allows you to go on a month long adventure?

Is Scranton the closest you are coming to NY? I will probably need an A/C compressor soon......

1986nate 08-13-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 683870)
what car do you take on these trips? you have so many too choose from :lol: it must be hard to pick ;)

Well, the last couple trips, basically this one coming up and the Reading, etc trip in May, I took a 98 Grand Caravan with a dolly as I will be again, but have also used a Durango and full trailer. If I'm not hauling a car and don't need to carry a ton of stuff, which is almost never on my longer trips, then I'll use an SVX. Reading in 2010 was a fun one.

This is how I drove the SVX home.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1179320_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...5_499361_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4403565_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1301548_n.jpg

I also have random and various pics of other trips and how loaded I've had whatever tow vehicle as well as the SVX I was pulling home. I've yet to upload any from the Reading trip but had the Caravan packed with tools, transmissions and literally, 1/2 an SVX, and then towing an SVX loaded with a ton of parts as well.

Here's a link to my facebook with tons of random pictures. Some I have taken down and need to put back of random scenery from trips and whatnot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 683872)
What I am wondering is what you do for a living that allows you to go on a month long adventure?

Is Scranton the closest you are coming to NY? I will probably need an A/C compressor soon......

Scranton or NW Connecticut possibly is the closest to NY. An a/c compressor is easy and cheap enough to ship as it will fit in a flat rate box with no problems.

What I do for a living is flipping cars, selling parts, and working on cars. Not many people know their way around an SVX, so I offer up services and help when I go on these trips so they basically fund themselves. I don't make a ton of money, but it helps people out and in the WI/IL area the cost of living is drastically minimal compared to most of the northeast as far as what I've heard and seen.

Crazy_pilot 08-13-2011 08:46 PM

Sweet, Scranton's only about 3 hours from Ottawa. If we do end up doing the engine thing it would be a perfect spot to meet up/exchange. Any chance you have a drivers window regulator and a set of parking brake cables?

Hocrest 08-13-2011 10:35 PM

If you can't meet up on the same day, the engine can sit here for a few days if needed.

And, RockAuto has new brake cables for ~$20 each.

Crazy_pilot 08-13-2011 11:27 PM

That would be amazingly helpful Dave. I still need to get my hands on a passport, which could take a while. And things are all over the place at work right now.:rolleyes:

Scranton's too far for a rental vehicle - I'd be up to my eyeballs in mileage charges. Hopefully I can borrow a Forester from my folks for the day. Mmmm... 14 hours driving!

1986nate 08-14-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 683915)
That would be amazingly helpful Dave. I still need to get my hands on a passport, which could take a while. And things are all over the place at work right now.:rolleyes:

Scranton's too far for a rental vehicle - I'd be up to my eyeballs in mileage charges. Hopefully I can borrow a Forester from my folks for the day. Mmmm... 14 hours driving!

Whatever works for you Chris. :)
Just keep me informed. It's looking like I'll be leaving on Sunday the 21st as of now so I'd just need a definite before then whether or not to bring another spare engine with me. You wouldn't be needing any spare sensors, coils or anything like that correct? I have a 101k long block that is complete as far as intake and exhaust manifolds (although I may pull the exh manifolds), throttle body I may pull, and missing sensors and the coils. PM me if you like and we can work out the fine details.

-Looks like I may definitely be needing the upgraded rear shocks on the van. Glad I picked up a car dolly with brakes even though I'll be unloading most of the weight before picking up an SVX anyway. Just will be helpful :D

Huskymaniac 08-14-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 683901)
What I do for a living is flipping cars, selling parts, and working on cars. Not many people know their way around an SVX, so I offer up services and help when I go on these trips so they basically fund themselves. I don't make a ton of money, but it helps people out and in the WI/IL area the cost of living is drastically minimal compared to most of the northeast as far as what I've heard and seen.

So part of it is being a traveling mechanic? There are a couple of minor things I would like to add/fix that I am sure you could do and probably would trust you more than my mechanic due to your experience with the car. Keep me in mind the next time you plan out a trip. I live between Corning and Elmira in southern upstate NY right off RT 17 which is supposedly being updated to I86 soon.