The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suggestion for peace... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5856)

CopsodyX 09-10-2002 09:30 PM

Suggestion for peace...

Why not just ban the people that are causing needless trouble for a while? I think that would restore the "calm, intimate atmosphere" that once existed here.

If they keep it up, simply ban them for good.

SEEMS simple enough...

vzSvx 09-10-2002 09:33 PM

Re: Suggestion for peace...

Quote:

Originally posted by CopsodyX
Why not just ban the people that are causing needless trouble for a while? I think that would restore the "calm, intimate atmosphere" that once existed here.

If they keep it up, simply ban them for good.

SEEMS simple enough...

I SECOND THE NOTION

Aredubjay 09-10-2002 10:20 PM

Personally, I do not like to ban people. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them time to "settle in," and learn the personalities of people.

Remember the brothers "Boomer and Ho?" They were a rowdy couple of guys, but, once they understood the bent of this group, they became quite pleasant to be around -- well, funny, anyway.

I consider banning to be an absolute last resort, but, yes, unfortunately, it sometimes becomes necessary.

You (that's the collective "you") as members of this forum will ultimately have to make that decision. This forum was created by you and for you. Those of you who've spent a great deal of time here should have a voice as to what caliber of folk you wish to associate with. So, simply appeal to the moderators (quietly -- don't lash out) when there is trouble and with enough negative response, those who are reported will first be reasoned with, then, if necessary, the last resort will be enacted.

Thank you, everyone, for sticking with the Network, dispite it's recent hullabaloo, but, we will occasionally have our downs as well as our ups. As the old saying goes, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger." We are stronger for weathering this small storm.

immortal_suby 09-11-2002 04:17 PM

There is a simple way to do this that's referred in newsgroups as PLONKing (Put Lamer On Killfile) - basically you block their email address from your download list and you no longer even see messages from them. It is pretty powerful in the more close knit newsgroups and repeat offenders often end up talking to themselves since none of the regulars even see their questions or comments.
This can also be done easily here. If there is someone that repeatedly gets on your nerves and ruins the usually fun attitude you have towards this site you can hit profile on one of their messages, then in the profile screen there is a spot on the bottom for adding user to your ignore list. You will no longer see any of their messages or be provoked to respond to something out of anger - adding fuel to the fire.
I am also mainly against censorship but on the other hand I hate to get myself angry by seeing constant fighting between certain people on this site. I had one member here on killfile for a little while when this site was looking pretty ugly a short time ago. I recently took them off my kill list to see if their attitude changed.

I'm all for - if you don't like what's on the radio, change the channel, but I like this site too much to shut myself off from it completely so instead I shut myself off from a few annoying people and continue to enjoy the rest of the network.

wawazat?? 09-11-2002 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I had one member here on killfile for a little while when this site was looking pretty ugly a short time ago. I recently took them off my kill list to see if their attitude changed.
Wow Matt, I just thought you were avoiding me!:p :p :p :D

Todd

Landshark 09-11-2002 06:16 PM

how about adding a Flamers Forum? those people can go bicker about whatever gets their panties in a bunch on there, and the rest of us can go on as usual.

mattski 09-11-2002 08:04 PM

Quote:

how about adding a Flamers Forum? those people can go bicker about whatever gets their panties in a bunch on there, and the rest of us can go on as usual
I do not think that would work well. Switching "personalities" between forums might prove difficult and "flames" are likely to spread. PMing might work for "private torching".

Green1995SVX 09-11-2002 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
how about adding a Flamers Forum? those people can go bicker about whatever gets their panties in a bunch on there, and the rest of us can go on as usual.
Here is a link to a forum such as this. It was designed by a user of the cav forum. It's pretty funny... Parental discresion is advised.:cool:

Mike

edit: it apears as though the website address is automatically censored by the software here. oh well. on to better things.

Ca$h 09-12-2002 10:54 AM

try this:

www.flameaway.com

Mainly neon owners, but fun regardless. :)

1994SubaruSVX 09-12-2002 11:08 AM

what is wrong with a flame forum?

i actually dig the idea. a no holds barred free-for-all. :D

Mr. Pockets 09-12-2002 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ca$h
try this:

www.flameaway.com

Mainly neon owners, but fun regardless. :)

I get a 'forbidden' error when trying to view that site.

Apparently they've already heard of me.

wasions 09-12-2002 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattski

I do not think that would work well. Switching "personalities" between forums might prove difficult and "flames" are likely to spread. PMing might work for "private torching".

I would tend to agree. We have known for some time that, 'taking your hostilities out in a non-aggressive manner', like punching your pillow, is still practicing violence (or in this instance, flaming), and practice always makes perfect. Well, better anyway. :rolleyes: It's always best to practice peace and brotherhood (or sisterhood, or siblinghood - have to watch my P's and C's). (Man, that sounded sappy - but you know what I mean.)

Landshark 09-12-2002 04:02 PM

i think a Flamer's Forum would be kinda funny. i could even communicate with a healthy dose of vulgarities the way i normally do - on here i have to watch my....fingers.

Aredubjay 09-12-2002 05:06 PM

Well, if you guys want to be "flamers" go right ahead. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just go to another forum. :D

Landshark 09-12-2002 05:33 PM

awww, you're no fun!!! i'm gonna go to the "Neon's Ruuuule!" forum and cause some trouble. :D