The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts For Sale (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   For Sale: Radio Wiring Harnesses for SVX!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6530)

SVXdc 06-24-2006 06:48 PM

*bump*

Yes, all 5 different types of harnesses are still available. See the first posts of this thread for ordering instructions and FAQ.

dwd1985 07-01-2006 01:52 PM

I ordered one of the SVX forward harnesses recently, and it works great, and saved me a hell of a headache. highly reccommended if you are putting in an aftermarket stereo.

gtdanielgt 07-01-2006 02:03 PM

will the 'forward' harness work if I am installing a dvd/tv double din?

SVXdc 07-07-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtdanielgt
will the 'forward' harness work if I am installing a dvd/tv double din?

Yes -- my "forward" harness will work to install any non-stock head unit, as long as your car still has the factory wiring harness (and if your SVX still has the factory radio, it's a pretty good bet that you still have the factory harness).

For more details see the link to my SVX Installation Guide in the second post of this thread.

Nemesis Destiny 07-07-2006 11:08 AM

What if the previous owners did cut the harness? How far does the rest of the wiring go before it hits another 'quick disconnect'? Is the only means of repairing a cut harness to splice on a new stock molex connector to the cut wires?

Electrophil 07-07-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
What if the previous owners did cut the harness? How far does the rest of the wiring go before it hits another 'quick disconnect'? Is the only means of repairing a cut harness to splice on a new stock molex connector to the cut wires?

I pulled the wiring from a parts car for a member here. Yes, they go ALL the way back. There isn't another connector for the wiring splits in several different directions.

Edit: I didn't pull, I "tried" to pull.

SVXdc 07-08-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

What if the previous owners did cut the harness? How far does the rest of the wiring go before it hits another 'quick disconnect'?

As Electrophil said, the radio harness' wires split off in different directions. It's part of a massive wiring bundle that includes the radio, some of the speakers, clock, some illumination, and more. It costs more than $100 to replace. Plus getting to it would require completely disassembling your dash.

Quote:

... Is the only means of repairing a cut harness to splice on a new stock molex connector to the cut wires?

You can either find a factory radio harness that someone has cut from a car they're parting out, or use my reverse SVX harness. See the links in post #1 of this thread.

Nemesis Destiny 07-08-2006 02:38 PM

Well, I haven't actually looked behind the aftermarket deck in the Black one to find out if it was cut or not, but when I do, I will likely be in contact with you again, as I was very pleased with your product last time.

SVXdc 08-10-2006 08:17 AM

*Bump*

All harnesses still available. See post #1.

Please send all questions/orders via e-mail.

bmart 11-30-2006 05:55 PM

Are these still available? Thanks. b

SVXdc 12-01-2006 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmart
Are these still available? Thanks. b

Yes, all of the different types of harnesses are still available.

Please see post #1 and send any questions/orders via e-mail.

Michael Blue 02-06-2007 08:37 PM

I'm going to have to buy a couple of these...

Anyone know if the newer OE CD players/changers will play burned CDs?

I'm replacing my bad OE HU and need to know if one of the OEs will work or if I'm going aftermarket.

That way I'll know if I need the WRX adapter or not, too. ;)

THANKS for making these!!!!!!!!

Nemesis Destiny 02-07-2007 06:21 AM

I have a 6CD changer from an 02 WRX and it plays all my burned CDs. Don't know about any other OE units though.

Michael Blue 02-07-2007 09:14 AM

THANKS! So, '02+ WRX 6CDs should work, how do they look?

Nemesis Destiny 02-07-2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Blue
THANKS! So, '02+ WRX 6CDs should work, how do they look?

Like this: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...0Destiny|18225

Michael Blue 03-02-2007 10:39 AM

Emailed an order. THANKS FOR OFFERING THESE!!!!!!

2NI 03-03-2007 02:08 AM

Hi!

I do live in €urope but I own an US spec SVX since yesterday (yeah, I know... I saw the light a bit late, lol).

Why I'm saying that I do live in €urope is because we do use ISO connectors since a few years so there's no need to wire anything anymore between the car & the aftermarket stereo...

Could you provide me such an harness? Directly from the US SVX plug onto my ISO stereo?

Should look something like this exemple:

http://i23.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/87/16/ec04_1.JPG

In fact that picture comes from an Ebay page where the seller lists its product as OK for the SVX but I guess its only for Eurospec cars??? Are the connectors different on US, €uro or JDM cars or can I buy this product eyes closed?

Here's the link for info (if I brake a forum rule by doing this, please take the liberty of taking it off):

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Subaru-Forrester-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanx for your response.

Regards, Denis.

SVXdc 03-03-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2NI
... we do use ISO connectors since a few years so there's no need to wire anything anymore between the car & the aftermarket stereo...

Could you provide me such an harness? Directly from the US SVX plug onto my ISO stereo?

[on an eBay listing] the seller lists its product as OK for the SVX but I guess its only for Eurospec cars??? Are the connectors different on US, €uro or JDM cars or can I buy this product eyes closed?

Hi Denis! Welcome to the forums.

I know that SVXs in the US, Canada, and Japan all use the 20-pin connector (with 16 wires populated), similar to what I'm making.

I have heard that SVXs in Europe use the 14-pin connector (like on most other Subarus). I have not actually seen a good picture of the connector in a European SVX to confirm. However, that would explain why nobody in Europe has ever asked about my SVX harnesses, except for a guy in the UK recently who bought a JDM :).

So yes, the harness adapter you found on eBay would only work for European SVXs, not your USDM. I can tell from the picture that the Subaru side has 14 pin positions (with only 13 populated).

So there are 2 more wires on the US/JDM than on the European SVXs. One is for the "satellite" (remote control) buttons on the steering wheel, which was offered on some early JDM SVXs. I'm guessing that this option was not offered in Europe (otherwise, I don't know how they would have made the wiring connection).

The other missing wire is the 3rd one for illumination. This wire signals when the driver has pressed the 'night illumination dimness cancel' button on the end of the turn signal lever. When the headlights are on and you push this button, parts of the factory radio's display and other things on the dash get brighter or dimmer. It sounds like European Subaru factory radios did not do this. No aftermarket stereo will need this, so it won't matter if that wire is missing from the harness.

Unfortunately, I can't make a single-piece adapter like what is in your picture. You would need to solder or crimp together my SVX 'forward' harness (to connect to your SVX) with an ISO reverse harness (to connect to your new stereo).

I don't know if I can get an ISO reverse harness from my supplier, but it would probably be better for you to find one locally anyway. That way you will be certain that you get the correct harness to fit your new stereo. Perhaps one similar to this?
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock_image/iso.jpg
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/iso.asp

When you're ready to buy my SVX harness, or if you have any other questions, please e-mail me (see link in first post of this thread).

2NI 03-04-2007 12:10 AM

Thanx a lot for taking some time making things clearer... ;)

Subaru or why make things simple if we can make 'em complicated??? :D

I will buy your adapter & an ISO reverse harness locally (I can find those everywhere, no prob).

You'll soon receive mail from me. Thanx again. :cool:

rrhenderson 06-20-2007 11:42 AM

Forward wiring harness

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc
Yes, all of the different types of harnesses are still available.

Please see post #1 and send any questions/orders via e-mail.

Hello. I've emailed you twice to place order via 96svx.dc@gmail.com but still waiting for answer.
Thanks.

SVXdc 06-20-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrhenderson
Hello. I've emailed you twice to place order via 96svx.dc@gmail.com but still waiting for answer.
Thanks.

Sorry, Gmail had placed your messages in the spam folder. I guess I'm going to have to start checking my mail via their webmail page.

I've sent a reply via e-mail. If you don't receive it, send me a PM here.

joe62890 01-06-2008 02:58 AM

Are these still being offered for purchase by any chance?

-Joseph

SVXdc 01-06-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe62890 (Post 519517)
Are these still being offered for purchase by any chance?

Yes, they are indeed still available. Please see post #1 and e-mail me any questions or orders.

mysvxrocks 09-21-2008 09:19 AM

Re: For Sale: Radio Wiring Harnesses for SVX!!

Im looking to get one of these if you still carry them! I sent an email last week sometime, never got a response.

kpg2713 09-22-2008 11:25 AM

I ordered one from him a few weeks ago. I know he is still doing them but I think he is pretty busy right now. Sit tight and I am sure he will get to you, or hardwire your new radio.

mysvxrocks 09-22-2008 06:29 PM

I just hardwired the deck in. I dont plan on changing the deck out, so whatever, it worked lol. Thanks anyways! -Dennis

Onetrack 05-03-2009 11:01 PM

Hey all - just wanted to chime in here and say that I'm really happy with the harnesses which I purchased from SVXDC - quality is top notch, all is working perfectly.

I had originally picked up the stock stereo - mated it up to the reverse harness but it has some cold solder joints which are cracked (not surprising at all considering its pretty old) - picked up a really nice little JVC head unit and mated that to the forward harness with ease.

Stereo is sounding great now - all with svxdc's help - shipping was fast, he's done an amazing job with all the documentation - and he was right on top of my questions really quickly.

All in all - THANKS !
-One

AyeJaye 05-04-2009 10:58 AM

I'll second that! I ordered one shortly after I bought my car, and I couldn't have been more pleased. From the quick ship time to the simplicity of the install, all was extremely smooth and my stereo works great!

lhopp77 05-04-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysvxrocks (Post 564892)
I just hardwired the deck in. I dont plan on changing the deck out, so whatever, it worked lol. Thanks anyways! -Dennis

Noted for future reference when you try to sell the car with butchered wiring. :)

Lee

Mike621 05-04-2009 12:55 PM

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 600024)
Noted for future reference when you try to sell the car with butchered wiring. :)

Lee

Lee,

I noted that he sold the car already. :p:lol:

subeman90 05-04-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 600028)
:lol:

Lee,

I noted that he sold the car already. :p:lol:

damn...beat me to it. :lol:

evilsvx 05-05-2009 04:35 PM

will this work w/ an alpine iva d100 b/c im planning to install it on my svx later on and has dvd, gps and all basically i want but i dont want to have any problems installing it. thanks;)

SVXdc 05-05-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilsvx (Post 600236)
will this work w/ an alpine iva d100 b/c im planning to install it on my svx later on and has dvd, gps and all basically i want but i dont want to have any problems installing it. thanks;)

As far as the harness, yes it will. The Alpine will come with a harness that plugs into the HU. You'll join that up with my SVX harness to connect to the car's radio harness.

You should check that the flip-up screen on the Alpine will fit in the SVX dash. At the very least, it will definitely block the A/C controls. At worst, it may not protrude far enough out from the radio bay so that it can fold up vertical without hitting the dash above the radio.

I can't tell how far forward the display comes out, but here's the best picture I could find after a quick search (scroll down to see several other pics).

Johnybeas 05-06-2009 10:03 AM

David!

After drooling and wishing and waiting for the day when I'd actually need your harness.... that day is here.... I just bought a Pioneer AVIC F900bt WOOT! soo shall I go to your site to purchase my harness or would you prefer to send me a paypal invoice? or I can write you a check to kill paypal fees? you tell me and I'll do it! :) it will need to be shipped to

==J*** Beas*e*==
x#**********##x
*stalkerproofedited*
===============

Thanks!

SVXalter 05-06-2009 10:19 PM

I'm looking into getting an eclipse 5510 7" double din. I assume this harness would work well, does anyone see any troubles with the unit fitting in an svx?

SVXdc 05-07-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXalter (Post 600417)
I'm looking into getting an eclipse 5510 7" double din. I assume this harness would work well, does anyone see any troubles with the unit fitting in an svx?

Depth-wise it will fit in the cage. You'll definitely have to notch or remove part of the rear of the cage.

It will be a challenge to slide the cage back into the dash with all of the wires hanging out the back. There won't be any easy way to coil them up behind the radio/cage. Perhaps you could tie some pull-strings to the various harnesses (with the other ends of the strings popping out in the foot wells) and pull the harnesses back into the openings where the antenna and car's radio harness go.

The display "tray" on that Eclipse may be a little too low. I think it will hit the bottom-left edge of the SVX's cover door as the tray extends out. The bottom of the tray needs to be about 1/2" to 9/16" (13 to 15 mm) up from the bottom of the cage to clear the corner of the SVX's door above the cigarette lighter.

The display looks like it would be OK once it's vertical, but you'll have to retract it whenever you need to access the disc slots. If you play stuff mostly off the USB port (and not CDs or DVDs), then that might not be so bad.

You could possibly "cheat" and push the SVX cover door down a little more while the display folds out. But you'd have to remember to do that every time.

Here are pictures on SonicElectronix (scroll down to the 3rd one)

Here's a better angle on Crutchfield's product page:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...O_dg_open.jpeg
(click for larger image)

Nemesis Destiny 05-07-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc (Post 600432)
It will be a challenge to slide the cage back into the dash with all of the wires hanging out the back. There won't be any easy way to coil them up behind the radio/cage.

This is definitely the hard part. I had a heck of a time when I installed the WRX 6-disc unit in mine. David's wiring harness was the easiest part of the job. Make sure you test the unit before you put it all together again though. I had a bad splice (my fault) and had to rip it all back out again.

Quote:

Perhaps you could tie some pull-strings to the various harnesses (with the other ends of the strings popping out in the foot wells) and pull the the harnesses back into the openings where the antenna and car's radio harness go.
Good idea.

SVXalter 05-07-2009 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the info! Very helpful. Hopefully I'll be picking up an svx either next week or the week after, so I don't know exactly how the stereo cover door works. Would it be possible to remove a spring or something that would allow it to drop down lower so it wouldn't interfere with the eclipse system's tray when it is open for disc use?

Oh and I haven't seen it yet but if the stereo is after market and has already been hardwired will the harness still be good to have?

SVXdc 05-08-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXalter (Post 600514)
... I don't know exactly how the stereo cover door works. Would it be possible to remove a spring or something that would allow it to drop down lower so it wouldn't interfere with the eclipse system's tray when it is open for disc use?

Not really. There's a stop you could remove to gain a tiny bit. Beyond that, the inside of the door hits the bottom of the cage, and the outside of the door will hit the cigarette lighter pod. You'd also have to remove the spring to keep the door from banging into either of those.

Here's a picture of the passenger side of the cage:
http://ae64.com/AI-TNs/241-b-CageSide_small.jpg
(click for larger image)
The stop is the black piece below the hinge pin.

The gear is always on the passenger side. So on RHDs it's on the left side.

Here's the opposite side on the UK RHD version (it would be the mirror image for LHD):
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...0129_0179R.JPG
(click for larger image)
There are several more pictures of the cage in my SVX installation guide.

You'd be better off finding a HU that doesn't have that clearance problem (either has a tray that's higher up as I wrote earlier, or one where you plan to open/close the tray very infrequently). That Eclipse might actually fit, but you need to verify it before you're stuck with one.

You could also remove the cover door entirely, but that would leave an opening at the bottom that you'd need to dress up somehow.

Quote:

... if the stereo is after market and has already been hardwired will the harness still be good to have?
If they used vampire taps and the factory harness is still there, you can remove the taps and use my harness. If they snipped the factory harness, then you can either hard-wire the new HU's harness (which will shorten the factory wires a little more), or install my reverse harness to get it back to stock, and then use my forward harness to install the new HU.

svxash 05-16-2009 08:14 PM

So where can I get the AUX input wiring for the 07' WRX style of Subaru head unit?