The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Plans for the new SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63481)

shotgunslade 05-24-2015 11:15 AM

Plans for the new SVX

As Old Tom said "And so it begins......." :cool:
Mortgage is paid off end of December, so will have a little spending money to put into the new car. Goal is a high performance daily driver that my wife can also drive, so keeping the automatic. Many of the mods below were validated on my Emerald Pearl, now in the possession of SuperCarnitas, that Young Tom was so instrumental in creating.

Phase 1
* Rota Boost 17 x 8 flat black with red lip
* Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40-17
Phase 2
* Brake redo
- Stainless steel brake lines
- Frozen rotors slotted rotors
- Axxis Ulta ceramic pads front; Axxis Metal Masters rear (Ulta not available for rear)
- ATE Super blue fluid
- Speed bleeder valves
- Red finished calipers
Phase 3
* Phenolic spacers
* AMR Engineering coil-overs with their “street” top-mounts; 350 lb/in fr, 250 lb/in rear (removable adjusting valve)
* Urethane sway-bar bushings
* $5, 15 minute rear subframe mod
Phase 4
* Subiechip performance chip with Nissan z32 MAF and Nissan Skyline z32 injectors
* Header back high flow exhaust system
* Cold-air intake maybe with the custom Tomyx “snorkus”, if I can get someone to weld it up.

Any suggestions?

Tim 05-26-2015 02:28 PM

Re: Plans for the new SVX

Any plans for 4.44 swap or will you be keeping the stock gearing?

shotgunslade 05-26-2015 02:43 PM

Don't know. Haven't thought about it. Pretty big ticket item. Not sure about the benefits. What Subaru models have the 4.44?

Tim 05-27-2015 12:19 PM

4.44's are in the 97-99 (phase 1 transmissions, non-vtd, and correct me if I'm wrong on the years) 2.5 liter motors from the legacy, outback and forester. You do lose out on the high gearing for cruising (3000 rpm at 70 mph) but gain more low end grunt and reliability.

svxfiles 05-27-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 740395)
As Old Tom said "And so it begins......." :cool:
Mortgage is paid off end of December, so will have a little spending money to put into the new car. Goal is a high performance daily driver that my wife can also drive, so keeping the automatic. Many of the mods below were validated on my Emerald Pearl, now in the possession of SuperCarnitas, that Young Tom was so instrumental in creating.

Phase 1
* Rota Boost 17 x 8 flat black with red lip
* Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40-17
Phase 2
* Brake redo
- Stainless steel brake lines
- Frozen rotors slotted rotors
- Axxis Ulta ceramic pads front; Axxis Metal Masters rear (Ulta not available for rear)
- ATE Super blue fluid
- Speed bleeder valves
- Red finished calipers
Phase 3
* Phenolic spacers
* AMR Engineering coil-overs with their “street” top-mounts; 350 lb/in fr, 250 lb/in rear (removable adjusting valve)
* Urethane sway-bar bushings
* $5, 15 minute rear subframe mod
Phase 4
* Subiechip performance chip with Nissan z32 MAF and Nissan Skyline z32 injectors
* Header back high flow exhaust system
* Cold-air intake maybe with the custom Tomyx “snorkus”, if I can get someone to weld it up.

Any suggestions?

Nice list!:)
Dont forget an ECUTune valve body.
I believe that Young Tom would weld one up for you if you asked him to.
Tom

Sean486 05-27-2015 04:03 PM

You should buy LANs performance transmission. It is still for sale on eBay.

lhopp77 06-09-2015 10:13 AM

I did the 4.44 conversion on my son's car and I definitely think it is well worth it, both in performance and durability. You do not notice much difference in cruising with the higher rpms. Throttle response is soooooo much better and off line power is very noticeable. AND, if anything, he gets better gas as the engine does not work as hard at cruising speeds. If you plan to keep the car for a lifetime like I am---used Legacy transmissions (4.44) are far more plentiful than SVX trans.

I might do the conversion on my runners if either has a trans problems. BUT, then again I have a parts car with only 2792 miles on the transmission AND engine. :)

EdWindows 06-09-2015 02:50 PM

Is there actually any proven benefit to running the stage2, Z32 MAF, and 370cc injectors over stock with stage 1? From what I've read over the years stage 2 doesn't make any gains over stage 1 on stock motors.

svxfiles 06-09-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdWindows (Post 740631)
Is there actually any proven benefit to running the stage2, Z32 MAF, and 370cc injectors over stock with stage 1? From what I've read over the years stage 2 doesn't make any gains over stage 1 on stock motors.

I installed the Stage 1 on my Pearlie and Christine.
And was very satisfied with them.

I have the Stage 2 on two of my SVXi.
And am pleased with them as well.
The supercharged car and The Racer.
They both have headers and a very free flowing exhaust system.
The Racer has all four of LAN's cams, (the big ones) and a 5 speed.
SC car has 4.44s and porting.

They both have phenolic spacers.

If you go with the Stage 2 it gives you the ability to do more,
like your phenolic spacers.
If you go to a true cold air intake, cams, free flowing exhaust then we know that the Stage 2 upgrade has you covered.

I will defer to LAN, as he has logged much more data.
Tom

longassname 06-21-2015 09:32 AM

The tuning on the ECUtune Stage1av1 and Stage2av1 were identical; however some testing was done by somebody else with your question in mind that indicated there might be some benefit to stepping up to the higher capacity air flow meter even on a stock car. I don't remember who it was or what the thread title was but he posted his information somewhere on these forums. He was logging the mass air flow meter readings and found the readings on the stock air flow meter got a little unstable at full load.

Nobody has ever done back to back testing of the same car on the same dyno on the same day to prove any performance difference since that would require changing fuel injectors and air flow meters on the dyno.

I always recommended sticking with stage 1 since the total cost was much less.

With the Subiechips chips the price is the same for the chip no matter which injectors or mass air meter but the cost of the injectors and air flow meter are still the major driving factor in the total cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdWindows (Post 740631)

bishop 06-21-2015 09:56 AM

Do we have any options for live tuning yet? I'll be looking at the z32 maf and injectors soonish.

longassname 06-28-2015 07:48 AM

Nope, in fact community support (by way of purchase) for the ECUtuner software and interface were so poor that I haven't been able to invest the time to make an updated Subiechips version that runs on the newer versions of Windows.

I was going to add support for a pair of moates ostrich 2.0 emulators to the software to enable "live tuning" with real time updates but I'm not in a position to take that kind of time away from the things I do to make a living.

svxfiles 06-28-2015 08:16 AM

"I was going to add support for a pair of moates ostrich 2.0 emulators"...............
You know, back in the day, we were high teck if we installed lighter springs and weights in our distributers,
THAT STILL HAD POINTS! :eek:
Sigh...

ensteele 06-28-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 740904)
"I was going to add support for a pair of moates ostrich 2.0 emulators"...............
You know, back in the day, we were high teck if we installed lighter springs and weights in our distributers,
THAT STILL HAD POINTS! :eek:
Sigh...

Yes, yes it did! :lol:

LetItSnow 06-28-2015 05:53 PM

It's unfortunate that the Megasquirt planning never got sorted out. I've been working with one, and I think they'd offer a lot of flexibility in an application like this.