The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rrrrrrrrrroooad Trip. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29674)

Kiteless 11-18-2005 03:19 PM

Rrrrrrrrrroooad Trip.

Hey guys. Well since the SVX has been really good to me, I think I feel good about taking it on a (roughly) 780 mile road trip from Fremont, CA to Phoenix AZ (MapQuest it), then 780mi back. I am on a very limited budget, but plan on doing some repairs before I go. For one it has a really wonky idle when it is cold, so I am going to replace the plugs. (I know there could be other things wrong, but I think that is a good place to start.) Since it is so easy, I am also going to replace the fuil filter, as Juffy Lube keeps telling me it is time. I already have purchased, but just need to install. Lastly the water pump is at an age (in miles) where it should be replaced, so I am going to get in there and replace the Timing Belt and the Water Pump.

I am going to pay a local Subaru Dealer $185 to install some platinums I already have.

Timing Belt Part# 13028AA120 from Subaru Parts dot com $76.16
Water Pump Complete# 21111AA033 from Subaru Parts dot com $91.40

I am going to attempt to install those parts my self. I am not going to replace the idlers, as I do not think I am going to need to.

I found some nice how to's on timing belt replacement in these forums, and I think I have the ability to do it myself. I have access to serious tools. My friend works on his own Vette and he is letting me use them.

Any feedback on what I am going to do here. Ideas, ways to save money, or any gotchas you all can think of? Anyone out there that has done this but not really have a mechanical back ground?

I have a 1994 SVX-L with 114k miles on it. Running on Yokohama ZR ES-100's. Smallcar.com resistor shift kit, 20"x10" ATF cooler, installed (THANKS DAVE). Everything else stock.

- Jason

SilverSpear 11-18-2005 03:22 PM

Are you mechanically handy enough to be able to change the timing belt? If not let your Vette friend help you a little...

Kiteless 11-18-2005 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Are you mechanically handy enough to be able to change the timing belt? If not let your Vette friend help you a little...

I think so, but not 100 percent sure. I can change my own oil, but I do not because of the royal pain that it is. I installed a replacement accessory belt. And my Vette friend Dave helped install the ATF cooler & cmall car shift kit.

My last car was a 1987 Mazda 323 wagon and I worked on it a lot, but
Nothing too extreme. Replaced the cap, roater, plugs and wires. Installed a new passanger side rearview mirror, installed a new insturment cluster so I could have a tach (it was a manual), rotated my own tires.

I also took a year of "Auto" in high school waaaay back in 1996. The tutorial I found looks fairly straight forward. I am guessing that I am not going to have to take out the radiator, althought it would make things more accessable.

- Jason

ShiuludeSVX 11-18-2005 07:20 PM

Comin to Phoenix

When you coming this way? Glad to drive down and meet.

Maybe I can run down and see one for sale on the same day.

RojoRocket 11-19-2005 11:03 AM

Don't understand why, if you're tackling the timing belt, you're willing to pay a shop $185 to change your plugs??? No comparison as far as difficulty, and possible problems if done incorrectly, with the belt the far more difficult/critical job. Save money? Do the plugs yourself.

Glenn

Hope you're talking about NGK platinums and not something else? Most opinions are that the Bosch;+1,+2,+4 are not the way to go with Subies.

As far as the wonkie idle when cold. Take a real good look at all vacuum hoses, and make sure you're not feeling the car deal with climate control issues which aren't unusual starting from cold. Switch to OFF.

thundering02 11-19-2005 12:08 PM

If your willing to spend just a few dollars more on the timing belt remove the radiator for an extra 6ish inches of work/sight room. and 200 to do the spark plugs save the moneys and do it your self especially if you think you even ready for a timing belt.

Conn SVX 11-19-2005 01:29 PM

Car runs funny( idles ) untill the temp. guage read something even just moves . Is this the Auto climate control Problem u speak of

lhopp77 11-19-2005 02:29 PM

Plugs

If you decide to change the plugs yourself---there is a hole through the fenderwell designed to stick a ratchet extension through to get to the plugs closest to the firewall on each side. This overcomes some of the cramped space problems. That point is mentioned here in a thread but is often overlooked.

Lee

RojoRocket 11-20-2005 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX
Car runs funny( idles ) untill the temp. guage read something even just moves . Is this the Auto climate control Problem u speak of

My car doesn't feel right starting from cold if I've left the Climate Control on and the current temp calls for A/C to run, which it does immediately. What I'm saying is turn the CC to OFF and see if the idle smooths out.
Removal of the radiator when doing the timing belt, as Thundering02 suggests, is mandatory unless you're a midget or a magician. ;)

Glenn