The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   9005 headlight upgrade question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58380)

Jvan 09-28-2011 12:05 PM

9005 headlight upgrade question

I need to replace my driver's side (will do both sides) low beam and want to upgrade to the 9005 mod. But I want to know if I should stay with the normal HID upgrade or is there a better advantage in useing one of the new LED bulbs. The LED bulbs are cheaper but they come in several configurations and I don't know the advantages/disadvantages. Some are 13LEDS and other can be 18/63/128 SMD. I do know that the LEDs draw less current and suppose to last longer but what about range and brightness/intensity/color? Anyone have any experience/recommendations and what is the difference between LED and SMD except, I assume, size?

92snowmachine 09-30-2011 01:01 PM

Re: 9005 headlight upgrade question

my only experience with the led bulbs is from replacing them at work. i know not to buy the cheapo ones or they won't last. have many civics come in a month after customer put in some ebay leds and they don't work. most of the ones i take out look like somebody hot glued them together in a dimly lit basement.

kwren 09-30-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92snowmachine (Post 687623)
my only experience with the led bulbs is from replacing them at work. i know not to buy the cheapo ones or they won't last. have many civics come in a month after customer put in some ebay leds and they don't work. most of the ones i take out look like somebody hot glued them together in a dimly lit basement.

China has basements:confused:

:lol:

Keith:cool:

immortal_suby 09-30-2011 07:49 PM

If you are upgrading to an HID lighting kit for your low beams you should just stick with a 9006 HID kit. A 35w kit will be more than bright enough. There is no need for a 9005 bulb in there if it's a true HID. If you are just getting those HID lookalike fake blue regular bulbs, a 9005 mod would help.

BoxerFanatic 09-30-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvan (Post 687540)
I need to replace my driver's side (will do both sides) low beam and want to upgrade to the 9005 mod. But I want to know if I should stay with the normal HID upgrade or is there a better advantage in useing one of the new LED bulbs. The LED bulbs are cheaper but they come in several configurations and I don't know the advantages/disadvantages. Some are 13LEDS and other can be 18/63/128 SMD. I do know that the LEDs draw less current and suppose to last longer but what about range and brightness/intensity/color? Anyone have any experience/recommendations and what is the difference between LED and SMD except, I assume, size?

I may be wrong, but SMD I believe stands for Silicon-mounted Diode. Basically a light emitting diode mounted on a silicon chip. (shown below... the yellow squares are the SMDs. Silicon chips, with blue-frequency LEDs on them, covered by a yellow phosphor layers and a plastic encapsulating coating. The yellow phosphors excited by the blue light output combine to approximate white light of varying color temperature, depending on the blue intensity, and the number of phosphor layers.

SMDs tend to be brighter versions of light emitting diodes... sort of like a supercharged LED. I don't know much about the actual technology, but I think I remember reading that it is some sort of pulse-modulation amplification so that it pushes more current through the diode than it would normally pass, and that results in more light output.

Someone with more knowledge on the subject might have more accurate information.

The issue not only becomes about lumen output, but focus. halogen reflectors focus on a filament. HID reflectors focus on a sustained electric arc, and some halogen reflectors don't focus correctly on an arc, some do a passable job.

LEDs are in arrays, and there are many individual focus points, each emitting narrow relatively narrower fields of light. a halogen or HID oriented reflector really won't focus properly on them.
http://www.piaalights.com/images/led5.jpg

I like LEDs as technology, but they are a different animal than a a spherically radiant source like incandescent/halogen, or HID/arc lighting.

LEDs are starting to encroach on Halogen/HID in purpose-built light fixtures that are designed for LED output patterns. But they are different enough that I am not sure that just putting an LED replacement bulb will perform as well, for something as high-output as a headlight. Signals and other lights that are for recognition, rather than projection, are easier to retrofit with effective results.

BoxerFanatic 09-30-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 687639)
If you are upgrading to an HID lighting kit for your low beams you should just stick with a 9006 HID kit. A 35w kit will be more than bright enough. There is no need for a 9005 bulb in there if it's a true HID. If you are just getting those HID lookalike fake blue regular bulbs, a 9005 mod would help.

Agreed.

The big difference between 9005 and 9006, functionally, is that the 9006 is paint-capped to prohibit light output axially forward.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5120650...logen_Bulb.jpg

Without the paint cap, the light can emit forward directly, instead of only from the sides, for the parabolic reflector to manage.

HID capsules, including 9006, have no such paint cap, and radiate light forward, and laterally.
http://www.advancebra.com/images/9006_HID.jpg

ensteele 10-02-2011 11:44 AM

The advantage of our low beams are that they are projector lenses and can use the 9005 bulbs without blinding on comming trafic. :)

Chuckls 10-02-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 687726)
The advantage of our low beams are that they are projector lenses and can use the 9005 bulbs without blinding on comming trafic. :)

So what you're saying is that other cars that use 9005 bulbs withOUT proj lens blind people?:o

Jvan 10-02-2011 04:10 PM

I'm still a little confused about choosing between the 9005 upgrade using the fake HID look alike blue bulb verse the LED/MSD bulbs. I would like the true HID upgrade but I need to do a quick install so I can drive at night. The 9005 upgrade is a no brainier but choosing between the fake 9005 HID and the LED/MSD is the true question. The fake 9005 HID will give me upgraded headlights that won't blind drivers because of the projector lens but using the same projectors lens which of the following choices will provide the best upgraded light output; the 13 LED or the 128 MSD or the false 9005 HID bulb. I don't know how to compare the choices considering intensity/ distance/ color/visibility/ weather conditions (ice/snow/fog/rain)/ field of coverage? I am somewhat concerned about using true HID because we don't have a self leveling system in our SVX's and I'd like the light on the ground not for airplane spotting.

svxcess 10-02-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvan (Post 687742)
I am somewhat concerned about using true HID because we don't have a self-leveling system in our SVX's and I'd like the light on the ground not for airplane spotting.

I have had the 500K HIDs in my car for over 4 years and have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic. I also have HIDs in my foglights and have been flashed only once (Not because I was blinding anyone, but because they saw 4 lights and ASSUMED I had my high beams on.) The light is brighter, but still focused by the projector lens.

In winter, I often drive with just the fog lights alone without problems.

Photo of my HID low beams and fog lights at night:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...HID_H3_fog.jpg

Look in my locker HERE for more photos.

Jvan 10-04-2011 05:37 PM

I'm concerned because I'm always flashed when i drive w/fog lights on. I always check to make sure that the lights are aimed correctly but I'm flashed at least once a night. I always assume it's because they see 4 lights and believe I have the high beams on but I don't want high beams flashed in my eyes. Still looking for recommendations on choice between LED/MSD?

zaueugen 10-04-2011 06:22 PM

svxcess where could i buy the hids for my foglights?

svxcess 10-04-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaueugen (Post 687927)
svxcess where could i buy the hids for my foglights?

I bought the 5000K Lavalux system from svxfiles almost 4 years ago. Any company that offers HID plug-and-play HID kits should be able to supply you with the H-3 bulbs our fog lights require.

Lavalux is currently unavailable. Maybe members here can make a suggestion.

You can also start at DDM Tuning HERE. You want the 35W bulbs.

zaueugen 10-05-2011 12:30 AM

ok ill get those in 5k like yours, but what is the error eliminator? do i need those ?

svxcess 10-05-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaueugen (Post 687963)
ok ill get those in 5k like yours, but what is the error eliminator? do i need those ?

You don't need those.

The only modification that needs to be made is the round gray plastic cover that you twist to remove to get to the bulb.

The hole in the center (that the original wiring goes through), has to be enlarged so that the new wiring grommet can be snapped into it, with the new wire running through it.

Here is the DIY for the H-3 install. See steps 11-13 for a better understanding of the simple mod

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...mid=10&nav=0,1