The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bosch Wipers (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43537)

US to CDN SVX 03-01-2008 03:50 PM

Bosch Wipers

Silly Question. My Orig Subaru Wiper blade Supports collapsed after 16 years so I can no longer use the inserts. I put some nice new Bosch blades on but I find if I use the Summer mode the stops are no longer there so it looks like I might tear the blades. Thus I must adjust them up a bit. Same with the rear. When I open the trunk it hits the wiper.

Did everyone else just adjust the blade positions so they can use non standard blades? I guess I can just pop the black covers off the screws and adjust? Any specs on the proper heights?

THX

ensteele 03-01-2008 04:16 PM

That sounds like your best bet at this point. I just bought the new inserts from Subaru so I would still use the Stock arms. :)

Crazy_pilot 03-01-2008 05:17 PM

I use the stock arms with Reflex wiper blades. They're a year old and despite always using summer mode in the summer and the beating they take from ice and snow in the winter they do a great job.

lilbrudder 03-01-2008 10:34 PM

oh this reminds me....i'm using beam type blades now and the drivers side wiper one has too large of range of motion, it runs into the A pillar rubber edge at one end and the stopper at the bottom in summer mode, WTF? the blades are the right size, all i can think of is the motor is burnt up or something. anyone else have this problem ever?

YourConfused 03-01-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US to CDN SVX (Post 531838)
Silly Question. My Orig Subaru Wiper blade Supports collapsed after 16 years so I can no longer use the inserts. I put some nice new Bosch blades on but I find if I use the Summer mode the stops are no longer there so it looks like I might tear the blades. Thus I must adjust them up a bit. Same with the rear. When I open the trunk it hits the wiper.

Did everyone else just adjust the blade positions so they can use non standard blades? I guess I can just pop the black covers off the screws and adjust? Any specs on the proper heights?

THX

I had to adjust mine for the same reason and found it to be a great time to remove the rust and repaint them.

US to CDN SVX 03-01-2008 11:30 PM

Thanks guys. I figured this was a common issue.

lilbrudder 03-01-2008 11:30 PM

so how did you adjust them? if i pull the arm off and move it to the next slot on the spindle wouldn't it go too far down and rip up the rubber blade?

dcarrb 03-03-2008 07:37 AM

If my experience is any indication you should probably just leave them alone, because if you move 'em up so they don't rest fully down on the stop, the driver's side arm is probably going to whack the A-pillar. I had to fiddle with mine repeatedly to get it just right.

dcb

cozykat 03-05-2008 09:40 AM

I use the Bosch Icons on my SVX with stock arms - had no problem fitting them although according to Bosch they won't fit. So I just cross referenced another subaru with the similar wipers specs to find the right ones.

Icon Driver's Side Wiper = 422A
Icon Passenger's Side Wiper =420A
Icon Rear Wiper = 418A

more bosch wiper info

To adjust the front wipers, its just a simple case of removing the rubber grommet and then the nut (#10 or #12?) holding the wiper to the car. (this is a great time to repaint them). If any rust has worked its way in there, I'd clean it up now and then place the wipers in the position you want them. Not sure what's necessary for the rear wiper as I haven't removed it yet (something to do this weekend, I guess).

Just remember to make note if you are in Winter or summer mode - so you don't surprise yourself later when you switch from summer to winter mode (I think that lowers the wipers so they don't sit on the glass but on the rubber stoppers). It's like 60 degrees here.. we don't really have winter in south texas. :rolleyes:

Hondasucks 03-05-2008 09:57 AM

lol my summer/winter mode switch has no effect, aside from the wipers pausing at the top of the stroke if they are in intermittent mode; they still park at the same spot, which is like an inch or two off the stops that everyone says they are supposed to sit at when parked. I can't remember whether it's Winter or Summer mode that makes them "hang" briefly though lol.

Zandar 03-05-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 532649)
lol my summer/winter mode switch has no effect, aside from the wipers pausing at the top of the stroke if they are in intermittent mode; they still park at the same spot, which is like an inch or two off the stops that everyone says they are supposed to sit at when parked. I can't remember whether it's Winter or Summer mode that makes them "hang" briefly though lol.

It's Summer mode. If they hang the same in either, leave it in Winter and you won't get any hesitation.:)

LarryIII 03-05-2008 02:33 PM

Bosch Icon

Pep Boys just had a buy 1, get 1 free sale on the Bosch Icon and Rain-x Lattitude blades. I bought the Bosch ones because PB did not have the right size in the other.
I used them the first time this morning. I found them a little streaky. Hopefully, my local PB now has the rain-x blades. The sale is still on.

I find that the OE SVX blade on the passenger side always starts to split after a year on the car and the blade starts trailing a ribbon of rubber. I hope the Bosch and rain-x blades don't do this. I'll post next year.

US to CDN SVX 03-06-2008 09:37 PM

Very happy with my Bosch blades. I have not adjusted them yet but will once the winter rain stops in April although it has been sunny and spring like just recently.

I do need to adjust the rear first as the trunk lid tags the Bosch as the stock was an inch higher.

Love my Bosch dish washer too :D

Ok enough Bosch talk.