The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Locking centre diff on 5 speed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35835)

Dessertrunner 10-26-2006 03:31 AM

Locking centre diff on 5 speed

Guys has anyone got a suggestion how I can lock the centre diff on my five speed manuel box. When I was driving on sand or in the mud I would lock the diff on the auto for better traction. I plan to go across a couple of large sand dunes in the near future but am concerned that if I lose traction on 1 wheel it will be all over. Any ideas.
Tony

huck369 10-26-2006 05:28 AM

I don't know, but the XT6's manual 5-speed had a vacuum operated center locking diff, and since it is basically the same tranny subaru used all throgh th e90's, maybe the locking diff pars could be fitted to a newer gen tranny...might be worth looking into.

But there is no easy way to lock it in, as it is not electrical in any way, like the 4EAT is.

mohrds 10-26-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
I don't know, but the XT6's manual 5-speed had a vacuum operated center locking diff, and since it is basically the same tranny subaru used all throgh th e90's, maybe the locking diff pars could be fitted to a newer gen tranny...might be worth looking into.

But there is no easy way to lock it in, as it is not electrical in any way, like the 4EAT is.

I assume the center diff from the 4EAT is in no way even close to compatible with a manual gearbox?

I think I still have my 4EAT center diff if anyone wants to look into it, PM me and I'd be happy to send it your way.

Doug

huck369 10-26-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrds
I assume the center diff from the 4EAT is in no way even close to compatible with a manual gearbox?

I think I still have my 4EAT center diff if anyone wants to look into it, PM me and I'd be happy to send it your way.

Doug

You assume right, they are not even close, the 4EAT doesn't really even HAVE a center diff, just a clutch pack to feed power to the rear...

No way what-so-ever to adapt a 4EAT set-up to a manual box...

TomsSVX 10-26-2006 08:50 AM

yeah, Jesse has a locking 2 range 5mt in his old loyale that he jacked up.... Cool:eek: ANyway, there are 5mt's that have locking center diffs, look into like a 90 loyal

Tom

huck369 10-26-2006 09:29 AM

I've got the old tranny out of FrankenWedge laying in the garage, and it has the locking center diff....I'd like to see it installed into FrankenWedge's Legacy 5-speed myself....as FrankenWedge already has all the wiring and the "Diff Lock" button to put it to use:D

Dessertrunner 10-28-2006 03:13 AM

Thanks guys the only way I know out of the problem is what Matt suggest and that is to get a new 6 speed with a controller to shift the amount of drive from the front to the back. It is a real expensive way out so it will have to wait till the drought is over in Oz as it is hurting my pocket badly.
Tony