The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   hey im new to the forum...got a question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13368)

J-man 09-23-2003 09:15 PM

hey im new to the forum...got a question

Hello my name is Joseph and I bought a black 92 SVx LS-L about a month ago. All I have ever owned is subarus. My first car was a xt (I still own and drive it) then a 84 wagon 4wd plus an xt turbo and a gl-10. then an XT-6 and now I sold everything but the xt and got a loan and bought an SVX! anyway... I love the SVX. Its condition is perfect inside and out. MMM i love how it drives. Powerfull and stiff. Even the door hinges feel strong when I open and close the doors.

I have had no problems with it untill just recently. A ticking noise comes from the flywheel (it seems). Sometimes it is not as noticeable. It does it when I accelerate but can here it mostley when I take my foot off the gas and when the car is idling. It's kind of embarissing to drive it now. This sucks!!!! Anybody had this problem?

Subafreak 09-23-2003 09:32 PM

Well J-man It all most sounds like posibly a broken flex plate. I assume your familer with the flywheel inspection hole on the bell housing around under the throttle bodys? Take the plug out of the hole and try to get a really good look in there for and cracks down where it bolts to the motor. I'm not sure thats possible but give it a try.

Chicane 09-23-2003 10:17 PM

Uh... there's supposed to be a plug there?!??!

Chicane 09-24-2003 10:57 AM

Are we supposed to be able to see the flywheel from underneath the car? I can see part of mine. I think.

- Rob

GreenMarine 09-24-2003 12:16 PM

Ya know, about a year and a half ago my EGR went on it's own program and my car ticked like crazy then... May want to check that out... After that was fixed, it was as smooth as Jenna Jamison's ***** !!!:eek: :eek: What did I say that?!?!?! :D:D:D:cool:

Mr. Pockets 09-24-2003 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Are we supposed to be able to see the flywheel from underneath the car? I can see part of mine. I think.

- Rob

The SVX has no flywheel. Instead it has a driveplate, which connects to the torque converter with four bolts. What you see from underneath, with the teeth on it, is the torque converter.

Yes, you're supposed to be able to see it. :D

And, yes, there's supposed to be a plug in the hole on the top. :D

Chicane 09-24-2003 01:41 PM

Oh. :D

Man, I really truly no almost zilch about automatic transmissions. They're just so mysterious.

- Rob

Mr. Pockets 09-24-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Oh. :D

Man, I really truly no almost zilch about automatic transmissions. They're just so mysterious.

- Rob

I know exactly where you're coming from. When I first bought the SVX, it was the first auto I owned, and for some time the transmission remained wholly mysterious to me.

I would recommend going to www.howstuffworks.com. There's a good description of how autos work in the automotive section. The SVX's just adds a couple layers to the package with the transfer clutch and front diff.

The automatic transmission is no longer such a mystery to me, but it is frighteningly complicated. I still want to rebuild my own, so I've been studing the FSMs, but there's a lot in there.

ensteele 09-24-2003 02:24 PM

Welcome to the site J-man. I hope we can help you figure out what is wrong. :)

J-man 09-24-2003 07:19 PM

egr?

thanks for the warm welcome. i used to be on the xt6 club and that was nice, but this is more usefull to me. It seems like you guys know a little more about what your talking about! anyways......

i'll check the EGR valve tomorrow( if I can find it). I don't understand how that could make it tick. If GreenMarineSVX
could tell me a little more on what happened with it I'll try to figure out if that is the prob.

Crash 09-26-2003 01:04 PM

welcome

Glad to see another member. Try to get another person to crawl around in the car while you are driving. It may not be coming from the tranny. It could be in the rear end. Good luck!

Subafreak 09-26-2003 06:35 PM

Re: welcome

Quote:

Originally posted by Crash
Glad to see another member. Try to get another person to crawl around in the car while you are driving. It may not be coming from the tranny. It could be in the rear end. Good luck!

Read: It does it mostly when idleing, probly not the rear end.;)

J-man 09-26-2003 10:44 PM

dealer

yeah i crawled under the car (after it was on jack stands) started it, and the ticking noise is very high piched where the flex plate was rotating on the under side of the car. I am taking it to the dealer on monday i'll let you all know (if you want) what the problem is.

ensteele 09-27-2003 11:10 AM

J-man

It would be helpful to get the answer to what your initial question was and to find out what it was. Let us know what you find out. :)

J-man 09-29-2003 10:05 AM

found the "ticking" problem!

not good, took the SVXer to the dealer and they determend it was the flex plate...they said it was almost cracked all the way in half. they want $623 to repair it. Mmm I think i'll do it. The flex plate it only $28.22.
here's the pt # if anyone wants it. 12332AA052