The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   yet another SVX windshield bites the dust (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10383)

BradT 04-29-2003 12:07 PM

yet another SVX windshield bites the dust

Or should I say, bites the rock.

It hit at the very base of my windshield and immediately sent up a four inch crack that lengthened another three inches by the time I got to work. Oddly, it's now grown another five inches just from sitting outside.

*sigh*

mohrds 04-29-2003 12:15 PM

Re: yet another SVX windshield bites the dust

Quote:

Originally posted by BradT
Or should I say, bites the rock.

It hit at the very base of my windshield and immediately sent up a four inch crack that lengthened another three inches by the time I got to work. Oddly, it's now grown to another five inches just from sitting outside.

*sigh*

Mine goes in for a new windshield on Thursday. I'm sooo glad I kept full coverage on it.

Hope you have insurance coverage for glass.

Doug

BradT 04-29-2003 12:27 PM

Yep, I do. Still ...

On the bright side, at least the "sand-blasted" effect from years of pebbles and crap will gone.

(Let's hope they get the shade right.) :rolleyes:

ensteele 04-29-2003 12:35 PM

The bronze shade is the hard one to find. The blue or green is much more common. :)

benebob 04-29-2003 12:51 PM

Broken glass

Glass is the only reason I still have full coverage on mine. Not sure if its worth $325 more a year since it only goes maybe 5k a year now and spends her days inside but the thought of replacing a windshield out of pocket just scares me! Wouldn't be suprised if 5 years from now when prices hit rock bottom if some of the SVXs are totalled just b/c of a broken windshield.:(

Chicane 04-29-2003 05:10 PM

Anyone know a good place to get windshields? I need a new one as well.

- Rob

laserx 04-30-2003 08:18 AM

Had my second windshield replaced in under two years just last month. Within a week, driving on the 407ETR (same place as my last hit) bang, mine is more like it got hit with a bullet, a little hole and a star shaped cluster under it. Since I had over $16,000.00 in claims in the last year (one accident for my son and then my first ever just after getting my car back from his) and the windshield, I didn't want to call them and put in another claim so soon. I went to Canadian Tire and got a repair kit. So far it's working. You can hardly notice anything. Hope it holds up, the cost for a new windshield and intall is $2400.00 cdn. Yes, my insurance went up, from $1006.00 cdn per year to 2845.00 cdn per year. Also they won't let me have my 18 year old son on the policy any longer. regards dave

lakefivehenry 04-30-2003 03:09 PM

Can anybody tell me what shade of tint is supposed to be installed on various colored cars. I have black, gray, pearl and claret between me, a couple friends and mother. Need glass in the black and gray.

huck369 04-30-2003 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lakefivehenry
Can anybody tell me what shade of tint is supposed to be installed on various colored cars. I have black, gray, pearl and claret between me, a couple friends and mother. Need glass in the black and gray.
Hold a sheet of white paper against the inside of the glass, and look at it from the outside, you should be able to tell the shade (blue or Golden).:)

Strange that my Pearl 92 SVX had the Blue Tint, but my Pearl 88 XT6 has the Golden tint