The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone Selling their SVX cause of Gas Prices (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43635)

SVX92-97 03-06-2008 07:31 PM

Anyone Selling their SVX cause of Gas Prices

Has anyone contemplated selling their SVX or other cars because of the ever increasing gas prices. $4 a gallon for diesel is already here, and by summer driving season it will be too for 87 octane:eek::eek:

sicksubie 03-06-2008 07:42 PM

you wont see $4 a gallon for 87 this summer period... There is a price cap at $3.50 I think

sicksubie 03-06-2008 07:43 PM

Also... I will never sell my SVXs no matter what gas goes too..... Maybe at some point these retarded environmentalist wack jobs will get the heck out of the way of the American people and we start drilling our own oil and not relying on a bunch of terrorists for our energy...

LetItSnow 03-06-2008 07:44 PM

Charge me ten bucks a gallon... it's all the same. You can't buy off passion!

Nevin 03-06-2008 07:52 PM

Haven't even given it a thought. Premium is over $3.50 here. Getting rid of a priceless gem just to try to sidestep the inevitablity of rising gas prices hardly seems worth it, if you ask me. Our gas prices are some of the best in the world, anyway. Cost/gallon is only lower in the countries that actually HAVE the oil. In Europe with conversion in place, I think it would be like what... $7 a gallon, or more?

Don't know what else you could could drive that gets 30 mph, looks as good as the SVX, and can be comfortably driven year 'round.

SUBBYRU89 03-06-2008 08:16 PM

Never.
I'd give up a lot more other stuff rather then my Peej.

alltrac 03-06-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevin (Post 532989)

Don't know what else you could could drive that gets 30 mph, looks as good as the SVX, and can be comfortably driven year 'round.

My Metro at least goes up to 90 MPH :lol: why do you roll so slow?:D

SubaruSVXCrazy 03-06-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 532986)
Charge me ten bucks a gallon... it's all the same. You can't buy off passion!

Ditto, But I still complain about the price. :eek: :D

YourConfused 03-06-2008 09:20 PM

On my first thank of the year, and after some rather costly mods, I got 19 mpg. This is 50% brutal driving and the other is highway. I expect to get mid 20's for an average if I can keep the POWER light off.:rolleyes: My truck has averaged 16 mpg for the last decade, so this is a step up for me.

It's $3.31 for 93 here.

US to CDN SVX 03-06-2008 09:41 PM

Never. I would not give up the safety of the SVX to be squished in an Echo. I have a long commute each day so the SVX is comfort, style, power and safety.

ensteele 03-07-2008 12:46 AM

Yes, when they pry my cold dead fingers off of the steering wheel. :rolleyes: :o :)

Phil Hill 03-07-2008 02:15 AM

We're at £1.04 per litre for regular unleaded and £1.09 for Diesel over here, and steadily on the increase......

Subix 03-07-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 533017)
On my first thank of the year, and after some rather costly mods, I got 19 mpg. This is 50% brutal driving and the other is highway. I expect to get mid 20's for an average if I can keep the POWER light off.:rolleyes: My truck has averaged 16 mpg for the last decade, so this is a step up for me.

It's $3.31 for 93 here.

So all this time I've always thought I've had an electrical issue with my Impreza.... when I floor it... ;) the POWER light comes on. What or why does it do that? lol. Something Subaru thought would be humorous or true intention behind that? or do I really have an electrical issue and you were just poking fun?

JaySVX 03-07-2008 03:01 AM

It's not like the SVX gets bad gas mileage anyways though. I was getting a steady 28mpg on the highway last summer in my 94 with a 3.90, the 3.54 i'm sure would have hit 30mpg.

dcarrb 03-07-2008 06:00 AM

I believe we all would do well to be more economically and environmentally mindful, so this may be wrongheaded thinking in that context, but I figure I can buy a lot of gas with that car payment I'm not making.

Eventually the cost of fuel and/or maintenance will make utilitarian use of an SVX economically untenable. I'm not there yet.

dcb

LetItSnow 03-07-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 533038)
Yes, when they pry my cold dead fingers off of the steering wheels. :rolleyes: :o :)

...fixed for ya.

Wikedjuggalo 03-07-2008 06:46 AM

No. No. and no. ^^ I will keep my svx not matter where I go. I just love it. I don't care if it blows up.

bwb3 03-07-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

We're at £1.04 per litre for regular unleaded ......
Wow! Am I converting this correctly, US$8.26/Gallon? Let's quit complaining.
Gene

lhopp77 03-07-2008 07:51 AM

My Conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 533075)
Wow! Am I converting this correctly, US$8.26/Gallon? Let's quit complaining.
Gene

I come up with with $7.87 per gallon, but when you get in those price ranges it doesn't make much difference. :)

Lee

robyo23 03-07-2008 08:29 AM

I would not sell my SVX due to gas prices, however it is not easy to drive her around everyday when in College. Right now I'm paying roughly 3.90 per gallon for regular and 4.35 for premium -

I'm keeping it as long as I can. Even though they are amazing in the winter, I will be purchasing a winter beater for next years semester - not only to save gas but to keep the mileage low on my Pearlie.

If gas prices keep going up it will only mean the SVX becomes a weekend or occasional driver instead of a daily for me. But she shines so proudly in the sun! Have to take it to the beach this summer, damn now I'm sad, I'll have to snowboard or something to get my mind off the summer...

SubaruSVXCrazy 03-07-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 533058)
...fixed for ya.

Wow thats a handfull. :lol:

JaySVX 03-07-2008 09:30 AM

I drive my SVX on Mondays, my Expedition on Fridays, and my Legacy wagon every other day. I like to keep the mileage low on the SVX, and the gas for the Expedition keeps it as an occasional driver, it's not economical to drive daily. The wagon has minor pep, room for several, cargo space, and decent gas mileage, perfect daily driver.

shelfy 03-07-2008 10:29 AM

right now blackie is my winter daily driver and with an 88 mile round trip commute, it's a little brutal on the wallet. if and when the sonata sells, i may be in the market for another fuel efficient summer daily driver. what i'd really like it to find new employment downtown and eventually move closer to work. :)

shelfy 03-07-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 533117)
right now blackie is my winter daily driver and with an 88 mile round trip commute, it's a little brutal on the wallet. if and when the sonata sells, i may be in the market for another fuel efficient summer daily driver. what i'd really like it to find new employment downtown and eventually move closer to work. :)

so to actually answer the question...high gas prices will not cause me to sell teh svx. :D

Myxalplyx 03-07-2008 04:58 PM

There's always the Subaru Justy.

2.5InchTrueDual 03-07-2008 06:21 PM

The way I see it, in my own personal opinion, gas prices wont quit going up unless we find our own oil or a better, more cost efficent mode of powering our vehicles. Making a 2-cylinder Eco-box that gets over 70 mpg has been done before and it failed.There no where near powerful enough or stylish enough to suit our needs as an american culture. Blame it on the pony cars or the rat rods of the past to make us Americans demand high hp, low mpg cars that could turn even a nuns head. I love my SVX but if I ever pay over $6.00 per gallon, I might consider buying a Metro. Considerations over, no Metro.

MNYPNNY 03-07-2008 10:46 PM

In direct answer to the posed question.....hell no.
My SVX gets better gas mileage than any other vehicle I have. I bought a pickup because I wanted to save on Penny's wear & tear, and I wanted the versatility of a 4-door. However, it cost me over $50 to fill my truck's tank on Monday (at 85 octane), so I parked it for the week and drove Penny to and from work. Even though I pay for more expensive gas in Penny, her mpg ratio makes it better.
Of course, the weather is getting better, so she doesn't have to be a garage queen anymore. :D

Side note: taking a trip this weekend.....get to play round robin with company vehicles, so free gas for our personal trip!

Phil Hill 03-10-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 533078)
I come up with with $7.87 per gallon, but when you get in those price ranges it doesn't make much difference. :)

Lee

Yep, there or there abouts guys. It seems that the prices go up a little bit each week here, and we are near to government budget time too........

My local independent garage is asking £1.14 a litre for Diesel today..........

Happy motoring !!

Phil.

subbieatnz 03-10-2008 04:15 AM

here in nz for 98 octain to run in svx its costs about an 1.90 an litre here. cost me 100 dollars 2 fill tank. my svx only gets 300kms on an tank of gas
i havnt got round to finding out ys its running so thirsty. i no of other svx owners that can get almost double out of theres

LetItSnow 03-10-2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx (Post 533200)
There's always the Subaru Justy.

I can has Subaru made by Subaru? :(

subarufamily 03-10-2008 09:41 PM

as a business manager of a pizza shop a vehicle that gets good gas mileage AND is 4wd is required, so a subaru is the logical choice. the svx is my loved driver and the baja is my wifes fav. I use the RX turbo for weekends when all the drunks go by and scratch, hit , put pizzas on so the svx stays scratch free. so to borrow the quote " when they pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel"

togan07 08-04-2008 12:26 AM

Re: Anyone Selling their SVX cause of Gas Prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.5InchTrueDual (Post 533211)
The way I see it, in my own personal opinion, gas prices wont quit going up unless we find our own oil or a better, more cost efficent mode of powering our vehicles. Making a 2-cylinder Eco-box that gets over 70 mpg has been done before and it failed.There no where near powerful enough or stylish enough to suit our needs as an american culture. Blame it on the pony cars or the rat rods of the past to make us Americans demand high hp, low mpg cars that could turn even a nuns head. I love my SVX but if I ever pay over $6.00 per gallon, I might consider buying a Metro. Considerations over, no Metro.

Nissan promised(and is delivering) 100% electric powered car for sale to the public in 2010.

GM already has its fuel-cell hydrogen cars that should be released by late 2009 although thats not set in stone like Nissan's guarantee, so I could see it being delayed for this fact... even though technology always is advancing and prices for these motors will go down in the next year they still cost $40,000 to make which no one will pay.. GM predicts the cost will be cut in half by next year but if it doesn't I won't expect much. Future cars are already coming man, just be a little more patient.

As for not driving my SVX? The SVX gets good gas mileage in my estimation as it is; I get roughly 26 give or take on the freeway with my AWD model and 28 give or take here and there with my FWD model. However when I look at my other choices... 2001 BMW M3 and 2002 Dodge Ram 1500... its a relatively easy choice to make on which is better for fuel economy. :p

kwren 08-04-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Hill (Post 533045)
We're at £1.04 per litre for regular unleaded and £1.09 for Diesel over here, and steadily on the increase......

How much of that is taxes??

Mensaf 08-04-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 532984)
you wont see $4 a gallon for 87 this summer period... There is a price cap at $3.50 I think

You were saying? :lol:

I'm taking a hit, I'll be totally honest with you guys. I drive 400-600 miles a week, on average. My 240Z, an old, carbureted straight 6, gets an average of 31mpg around city and highway mixed. I've yet to break the 20mpg mark with the SVX. At this point, I know I'm going to be selling one of the cars before September comes to fund the other and pay for tuition.

dromano 08-04-2008 07:19 AM

Sounds like the SVX needs a major tune up. My 92 gets 20 city, 29 freeway at 70-75 on cruise control.:D

Mensaf 08-04-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558841)
Sounds like the SVX needs a major tune up. My 92 gets 20 city, 29 freeway at 70-75 on cruise control.:D

This is a very good point you've made. I normally notice right when I look at the wires....buuttt...yea. lol. I'm going to go buy parts in an hour and get to work.

ensteele 08-04-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558841)

dido! I hope you can increase the mileage that you have been getting. Driving style has a lot to do with it as well. :)

Mensaf 08-04-2008 08:49 AM

I drive like a little ***** on public roads, especially in this car. As you can imagine, this is essentially the polar oppossite of my tin can 240Z.

Evil One 08-04-2008 08:52 AM

For the most part...
The cheapest car to drive is the one you already own.
If you are making payments... you dont own it.
When you look at car payments/purchase price... insurance changes... It is surprisingly affordable to stick with driving most cars.

Jim

Turbone 08-04-2008 11:38 AM

My SVX is currently parked, due to a water leak somewhere.
Therefore, its getting great mileage!
It also helps that its not my DD. I have a couple of old school Subaru's for that.