The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Name that tune... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4566)

Mr. Pockets 06-18-2002 01:42 PM

Name that tune...

At low speeds and under light throttle my SVX whistles. No, really, it does. I can hear it best when I'm in the parking garage. It's not belt squeal. It's certainly not my tires. When I give it a little more throttle, the whistling gets louder, then goes away

Any ideas?

Boone 06-18-2002 01:51 PM

Mebbe something isn't tightened down on the intake side or a vacume leak somewhere under the hood. You can listen around with a hose to your ear to isolate it. Jus' don't let anyone see you. :p

Bwana 06-18-2002 02:58 PM

Pockets, mine does that too. It only started after I put my K&N filter in, so i assumed it was that somehow whistling.

Also, I've started to develop a buzzing noise at around 3500 RPM under load. I took it to a shop to have the resonator chopped out, but he said it wasnt the resonator. I dunno.

Beav 06-18-2002 03:11 PM

Geez, these cars seem to be aging at the same rate as me. Every day it's another new ache, pain or funny noise. ;

Green1995SVX 06-18-2002 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bwana
Pockets, mine does that too. It only started after I put my K&N filter in, so i assumed it was that somehow whistling.

Also, I've started to develop a buzzing noise at around 3500 RPM under load. I took it to a shop to have the resonator chopped out, but he said it wasnt the resonator. I dunno.

Scott-

When my resonator was bad, shops were unable to tell it was bad. Everyone kept telling me it was fine. I had them chop it out anyway, and after removing it, and turing it upside down, they were able to shake it and make it produce the noise. On the car though, you can bang it all you want and it will still be silent.

-Mike

Green1995SVX 06-18-2002 03:55 PM

Re: Name that tune...

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
At low speeds and under light throttle my SVX whistles. No, really, it does. I can hear it best when I'm in the parking garage. It's not belt squeal. It's certainly not my tires. When I give it a little more throttle, the whistling gets louder, then goes away

Any ideas?

Perhaps theres a turbo in there you were not aware of?

-Mike :D

RSVX 06-18-2002 06:36 PM

Re: Re: Name that tune...

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Perhaps theres a turbo in there you were not aware of?

-Mike :D

mine does the same thing, turn everything off, and accelerate, and you hear a turbo like whine, and its done this from day one...

Aredubjay 06-18-2002 08:25 PM

I haven't noticed it lately, but, mine has whistled since I've had it also. I described it, in one thread on Yahoo, like the high-pitched noise you would hear on your AM radio when your generator wasn't grounded well. Of course, that description was lost on the younger set. :D

Beav 06-18-2002 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I haven't noticed it lately, but, mine has whistled since I've had it also. I described it, in one thread on Yahoo, like the high-pitched noise you would hear on your AM radio when your generator wasn't grounded well. Of course, that description was lost on the younger set. :D
You lost me too, but you are older than me...

deadeye95 06-18-2002 09:36 PM

I fixed my whistle. Came from the front driver's side. Really irritating, but not enough to stop and open the hood when you're driving to work.

One day it made the mistake of whistling while I was working on it....

You're not going to believe this - there is a hose that looks like it returns from the driver's side rear of the intake manifold. It had jumped out of its "clamp", repositioned it and the noise stopped. Either the hose vibrated or repositioning it dampened the whistle.

Really........

Aredubjay 06-19-2002 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav

You lost me too, but you are older than me...

Yeah . . . by how many days/weeks/months? :p

Mr. Pockets 06-19-2002 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by deadeye95
I fixed my whistle. Came from the front driver's side. Really irritating, but not enough to stop and open the hood when you're driving to work.

One day it made the mistake of whistling while I was working on it....

You're not going to believe this - there is a hose that looks like it returns from the driver's side rear of the intake manifold. It had jumped out of its "clamp", repositioned it and the noise stopped. Either the hose vibrated or repositioning it dampened the whistle.

Really........

Thanks - I'll look out for it!

kuoh 06-19-2002 09:53 AM

That hose runs from the driver side and connects to a valve on the intake duct at the rear on the passenger side. Perhaps the hose was loosely connected to the valve and moving it got it back on enough to stop the whistle? It couldn't hurt to check all the hose connections. There are a total of 7 openings for hoses to connect to on the intake duct.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by deadeye95

RSVX 06-19-2002 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I am part of the so called 'younger set' and I still know what you are talking about... well, maybe thats cause I am in a family full of electronics junkies...

oh well... good comparison for those of us who know what you are talking about, and those that dont, and like the loud car stereos... sounds like when you run an unsheilded speaker wire near a high volume power line and you accelerate...

Landshark 06-19-2002 05:33 PM

i had a whistling noise in one of my old cars...turns out my "buddy" put a device in the tailpipe that whistles when you accelerate. you can get them at magic/novelty stores. pretty good trick to annoy someone. it found its way into my other friend's Legacy. i don't know what happened to it after that...

Alan