The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Funniest Movie EVER (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8543)

alacrity024 02-01-2003 06:17 AM

OT: Funniest Movie EVER

Strange Brew: The Adventures of Bob and Dough MacKenzie

I've been watching this movie religiously since I was twelve, but just wanted to share it in hopes that others here might hold a similar appreciation for this incredible piece of cinema.

My favorite scene?

Bob and Doug are in the electro-shock therapy room of the Royal Canadian Institute for the Mentally Insane, and Brewmeister Smith's assistant has just entered the room and gone to the telephone. Rosie comes in and Doug asks him "How's it goin' eh?" Bob hushes Doug because it can't be known that Rosie has entered the room and quickly covers Doug's mistake up by ever-so-convincingly replying "uh, it's goin' pretty good"

You have to see it to understand the unbelieveable humor.

My brother and I watched it last night and like true geeks, found a good number of "easter eggs" The coolest?

Bob and Doug return home after their movie fiasco and grab the last three beers from the fridge. After cracking all three and pouring one for their dog, Hosehead, their father yells to them to save one for him. They quickly chug the beers down to the background music of a Tom and Jerry cartoon (a recurring theme in the movie.. Tom & Jerry cartoons appear on the top-right monitor in the control room with the keyboard. Pam also zones out to T&J after the van accident). If you look carefully at the level of beer in the bottles, you'll notice that Rick Moranis can't chug to save his life, while Dave Thomas pours it down like a champ.

We're dweebs, but we love this movie :D

-adam

immortal_suby 02-01-2003 06:36 AM

Awesome movie - I thought I was the only geek here. Kim and I still watch it occasionally.
I love when they bribe the secretary at elsinore with his last jelly donut.
It seems that the movie was lost on the southern half of the US - I haven't met a southerner yet that had seen or heard of it.

Landshark 02-01-2003 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
Awesome movie - I thought I was the only geek here. Kim and I still watch it occasionally.
I love when they bribe the secretary at elsinore with his last jelly donut.
It seems that the movie was lost on the southern half of the US - I haven't met a southerner yet that had seen or heard of it.

i have a copy of that movie ;) my pet iguana used to be named "Hosehead", and i used that as an e-mail address for a while. people were always asking "where did you get that name?!?" well, its the beer-drinking flying dog from the movie Strange Br....nevermind. :D

immortal_suby 02-01-2003 03:20 PM

I wanted to name our cat hosehead but that got shot down by the mrs. :)

LarryIII 02-01-2003 06:25 PM

Dear Geeks & Dweebs,

The Beautiful Naviguesser (Rosie... not Rosey as in the movie) used to be a certified (she was only certifiable because she picked me as her mate) high school English teacher.

She used to show "Strange Brew" in her senior English course as a culmination comparative study to Hamlet. She had the students develop comparisons between the characters of Strange Brew and Hamlet, as well as compare and contrast themes, motifs, and imagery from both story lines.

Isn't it just like a high school English teacher to ruin a good movie by bringing Shakespear into it.....eh?

PS: Don...... you can use this in your special ed classes because I think that using Strange Brew to teach Hamlet is absolutely nuts...eh !!.

Ron Mummert 02-01-2003 10:50 PM

I can't comment on this one, not having seen it, but I found SCTV to be the equal of SNL in its heyday.

Ron.

CigarJohnny 02-02-2003 06:47 AM

I always thought of myself as a Bob & Doug fan (heck I even have a copy of the Great White North album on vinyl) but I have never seen this movie. Something I will definitely have to rectify. As for Second City TV, I definitely have to disagree with Ron. It was BETTER than SNL! That stuff was inventive and original, unlike SNL (even in it's heyday). My favorite character was "Johnny LaRue"...just something about John Candy when he did him...lol. If I ever was to change my name it would be to Johnny LaRue. Ah yes...why can I not find any reruns of that series in my area. Not even on Comedy Central as far as I know. :(

immortal_suby 02-02-2003 09:00 AM

Re: OT: Funniest Movie EVER

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
Strange Brew: The Adventures of Bob and Dough MacKenzie

If you look carefully at the level of beer in the bottles, you'll notice that Rick Moranis can't chug to save his life, while Dave Thomas pours it down like a champ.

We're dweebs, but we love this movie :D

-adam

Watched it again last night - you're right - Moranis barely even drank it - I wonder if that was on purpose or he really can't chug.

Same thing happens on the man show every week when they chug at the end of the show.

wasions 02-02-2003 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I always thought of myself as a Bob & Doug fan (heck I even have a copy of the Great White North album on vinyl) but I have never seen this movie. Something I will definitely have to rectify. As for Second City TV, I definitely have to disagree with Ron. It was BETTER than SNL! That stuff was inventive and original, unlike SNL (even in it's heyday). My favorite character was "Johnny LaRue"...just something about John Candy when he did him...lol. If I ever was to change my name it would be to Johnny LaRue. Ah yes...why can I not find any reruns of that series in my area. Not even on Comedy Central as far as I know. :(
I'm kinda partial to Mrs. Falbow (?) and her bright red Super Bee. :D

Mr. Pockets 02-03-2003 08:12 AM

This weekend I heard a comedian say:

"Canada is an entire country named Doug."

Funniest thing I heard all weekend.