The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what can be improved on the svx? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56932)

Gamesy 04-02-2011 01:06 AM

what can be improved on the svx?

I was talking to one of my professors the other day and the topic of capstone projects for my final year is came to light. We can either choose from a list of preassigned topics or we can suggest something to see if the prof is willing to take it up and I was thinking to do an improvement on the svx.

any ideas?

AlcyoneHakase 04-02-2011 01:32 AM

Re: what can be improved on the svx?

Improvements with todays technology or improvements with 1991 technology, like things that could have been fixed before the car is shipped? Either/or or maybe explore both would be kinda cool. I wish I could do my Capstone on the SVX XD. In any case, good luck with your capstone. :D

TomsSVX 04-02-2011 05:19 AM

What is your degree in? This would dictate what area on the svx be addressed. There is a lot of room for improvement

Tp,

ensteele 04-02-2011 12:19 PM

Yes, more information please. We can look at it back then, which would be things that could have been put into production then, or what to do to it now. It would make more sence to look at it back then, because it would cost a lot more to do it now as an improvement, rather than changes that could have been done then. :)

bwb3 04-02-2011 12:26 PM

.......resale value?

Gene

Gamesy 04-02-2011 01:01 PM

im doing mechanical engineering
was looking at either first or now, seeing what i can improve and apply it to my car now

Freeman 04-02-2011 01:49 PM

Brakes, rotors, brake lines.. There is my contribution.

LetItSnow 04-02-2011 02:59 PM

You've really got to limit the scope of your project. There is a pile of angles to approach with the definition in the subject line.

If you're not doing a study of owners, be cautious of personal perspective - not everyone will necessarily consider a given change to be an improvement.

Define whether you mean improvements during the time of production or as we are or would be doing them now.

Obvioiusly, structurally, the transaxle isn't just a component to question - it requires/required improvement.

3.3H6 04-02-2011 03:11 PM

weight loss, like 900 lbs or so

LetItSnow 04-02-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.3H6 (Post 672841)
weight loss, like 900 lbs or so

I see we've found our way from "capstone project" to "pipe dream"...

Freeman 04-02-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 672901)
I see we've found our way from "capstone project" to "pipe dream"...

Its been done.

Crazy_pilot 04-02-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 672902)
Its been done.

Not if you want to keep driving the car every day. I drove with the interior out for a week this fall, and I will never again drive a stripped out car on the street.

As for your project, it's not realistic to overhaul an entire system (engine, transmission, etc), rather it would be a better choice to upgrade a component of a system that benefits the whole.

Ideas:

1. Given our bearing woes, how about a rear knuckle that accepts the STi's bearing but retains all of the SVX suspension geometry? Or a front that does the same? In aluminum (7075 or 2024 probably) for some weight savings? -If you do a front one that also lowers the car a bit while retaining good control arm angles I'll buy a set :cool:

2. Exhaust. Not just a front to back system, but full tooling to replicate it at will, plus features that make it directly interchangable with stock (ie: cat-back that bolts on perfectly to factory cat, muffler that bolts to factory midpipe, uses all factory hanger points...)

3. Polycarbonate sunroof? Throw in some electrochromatic tinting for uber coolness.

I'm in the same boat right now, but getting toward the end of it all. Building a carbon fiber intake manifold for my car.

Gamesy 04-02-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 672907)
Not if you want to keep driving the car every day. I drove with the interior out for a week this fall, and I will never again drive a stripped out car on the street.

As for your project, it's not realistic to overhaul an entire system (engine, transmission, etc), rather it would be a better choice to upgrade a component of a system that benefits the whole.

Ideas:

1. Given our bearing woes, how about a rear knuckle that accepts the STi's bearing but retains all of the SVX suspension geometry? Or a front that does the same? In aluminum (7075 or 2024 probably) for some weight savings? -If you do a front one that also lowers the car a bit while retaining good control arm angles I'll buy a set :cool:

2. Exhaust. Not just a front to back system, but full tooling to replicate it at will, plus features that make it directly interchangable with stock (ie: cat-back that bolts on perfectly to factory cat, muffler that bolts to factory midpipe, uses all factory hanger points...)

3. Polycarbonate sunroof? Throw in some electrochromatic tinting for uber coolness.

I'm in the same boat right now, but getting toward the end of it all. Building a carbon fiber intake manifold for my car.

some great ideas there.
I still have another 2 years to go at this point. Right now i'm part of a design team for building a super car at school. So what i learn from building that thing i may be able to add to the car. maybe drop the already low drag coefficient some more muahaha

icingdeath88 04-03-2011 03:01 AM

So are you looking for realistic projects you intend to actually do with the car? Because I have a long list of things I wish I had time to try.

LetItSnow 04-03-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 672902)
Its been done.

Seen it. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 672907)
Not if you want to keep driving the car every day.

This.