The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pictures, New paint, New color! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54362)

subaruster 04-27-2010 09:19 PM

Pictures, New paint, New color!

Guys, I decided in Feb to paint my 96 SVX with a new color. I was never a fan of the polo green or any green color car. My personal opinion is the SVX looks best in RED, including the trunk and roof.

I was having a hard time choosing between Brilliant Red and Barcelona. I went with Barcelona with help from (cozykat)! The shop that did the job is pretty well known. As you can see, door jams, trunk, most under the hood was painted. Both bumpers, tail lights, and fenders (thanks pearlm30 for fenders) and all plastic panels were removed and painted separately. The roof and hood was stripped completely before being painted.

Overall I am happy with their work except it took over 60 days. I told them to take their time to make sure it was done right. I drove my XT6 while she was being painted.

With 73k miles I am going to drive her less now. It was bought from the original owner with 44k miles a few years ago.

Here are the pictures of the progress. The PPG paint used has a lifetime warranty.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredi...hwE&feat=email

Crazy_pilot 04-27-2010 10:46 PM

Re: Pictures, New paint, New color!

Beautiful! Would you mind if I asked how much the bill was?

Also, do you fly? What's the panel in your picture?

ensteele 04-27-2010 11:15 PM

Looks good. Was the glass a bronze before? :) If it was a 96 Polo, it should have been and would work good with the red. :)

Gamesy 04-27-2010 11:44 PM

damn thats really well done! surprisingly the green strut towers with the red actually look cool.
The only thing i dont like about red is that it gets sun faded badly over time faster than more colors, my brother's RSX is proof of that.

Freeman 04-27-2010 11:44 PM

Looks absolutely amazing! Cant even tell that she used to be green.. Makes me envious and want to do my car..

SilverSpear 04-28-2010 12:19 AM

Great paintjob! Yeah curious about cost of that...

BTW, the strut towers and the VIN number plate area could have been easily sprayed with a 30 mins "parts removal" job. It would have looked a bit better.

michael 04-28-2010 04:43 AM

Very nice job indeed, I'm guessing at least $3,500.

SVX_MY_BABY 04-28-2010 06:11 AM

Looks Great. Now you have to touch up the wheel hub caps.:D

svxcess 04-28-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 644896)
BTW, the strut towers and the VIN number plate area could have been easily sprayed with a 30 mins "parts removal" job. It would have looked a bit better.

Looks to be a really good paint job. Attention to detail and removing as much as you can before painting is the key. Mask minimally

But I have to agree with Danny on the strut towers. I little extra time in removal of the coolant/washer reservoirs and some protective masking would have made all the difference.

I would have masked off or removed as much as possible in these areas and painted down as far as I could with a satin black with a good airbrush, trying to cover as much green as I could see.

Then with the airbrush, I would have sprayed the red heavily where it was most visible and down into the recesses as far as I could. This way the red fades into the black deep in the shadows of the engine bay as is far less noticible. Then do the same with the clearcoat.

I have used this technique before very successfully. The airbrush is much mure controllable and able to get into small areas.

(But svxcess would have removed the VIN/ build date and trim plates from the door jambs and strut towers, painted underneath and pop-riveted them back into place. Because knowing they were green underneath would really bug me)

Sean486 04-28-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 644896)
Great paintjob! Yeah curious about cost of that...

Agreed, but you could always paint the strut towers at home in a flat black with a rattle can. I bet the black would look good with the red.

The car looks great!! :):)

lhopp77 04-28-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaruster (Post 644872)
I was having a hard time choosing between Brilliant Red and Barcelona. I went with Barcelona with help from (cozykat)!

Great looking car!!! Actually no contest between Brilliant and Barcelona---the Barcelona is a much deeper and vastly better looking red. :p

Lee

Alex-svx 04-28-2010 08:01 AM

Ist a grate job that have been done whit the car. =)

The car looks amezing. ;)

ensteele 04-28-2010 08:18 AM

I agree with the others about the Barcelona Red -vs- Brilliant Red. The car looks amazing. Good job! :)

aust92pearl 04-28-2010 04:48 PM

she looks B-E-A-U-tiful :D i can see a little more green in the 51st picture , just behind the grill :rolleyes:

svxcess 04-28-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 644966)
she looks B-E-A-U-tiful :D i can see a little more green in the 51st picture , just behind the grill :rolleyes:

Pop two clips out of the grille, a little satin black spray and you're done. Less then 5 minutes!

With the bumper, hood, headlights and corner lights removed, how could they miss that? :confused: