The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Probably a dumb question...jump starting True or False? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41833)

Cynic 11-12-2007 11:19 PM

Probably a dumb question...jump starting True or False?

I know, stupid, but here goes. I have been told, I can't remember by who (someone with a new car; mechanic at a garage where i was getting gas...) that I shouldn't help by jump starting someone else's car with mine as it can screw with the systems in my car...CEL light, Power light etc. computers.
Since my other cars were all older, with not a computer chip anywhere, I don't know... :o A friend just called to see if I can jump his car in an hour as its dead at his work.
So true or false?? :confused:

Thanks.

dumpstafresh 11-12-2007 11:30 PM

if their alternater serges or if they have a short or something. it could fry your computer. its happened to people ive known.
im pretty sure a computer can cost a pretty penny, like 3-8 hundred dollars. im not sure for svx's.

Cynic 11-12-2007 11:35 PM

Thanks. Don't have the $$ for that...need new tires and rotors first. So I guess I'll call AAA for him. :rolleyes:

dumpstafresh 11-12-2007 11:37 PM

i always hook their battery to mine and let MY car run for about 5 minutes or so WITHOUT starting their car. then unhook the jumper cables and try to start their car.
your alternator will charge their battery enough to start their car. that is if their batt. will hold a charge.
it helps to turn off all stereos, lights etc. in both cars

Cynic 11-12-2007 11:47 PM

With the Volvo, or the Sprint, it was hook em up and start it up. But with the SVX...figured I'd check what I had heard first.

b3lha 11-13-2007 02:46 AM

I don't see any way that jump starting somebody could cause excessive current flow in your ECU. If they have a fault it could, possibly, damage your alternator. We know that a dodgy alternator can cause christmas tree lights on the dash.

I have three cars and two of them don't get driven much and the batteries go down so I jump start all the time. Only problem I've ever had is cheap jump leads melting.

Dessertrunner 11-13-2007 03:34 AM

I have heard of this on the first lot of Aus made cars 20 years back but not a problem now. Hope you are sitting down I jump start tractors etc that have 450hp diseals and have never once hurt my SVX computer. So don't worry its not a problem these days

Manarius 11-13-2007 06:44 AM

I figured the electrical systems of cars these days were sophisticated enough to make sure something like that couldn't happen...

dannmarr 11-13-2007 06:52 AM

Your best bet is to buy a portable jump starter. It costs about $40 at Sears. This way you don't need to use your battery. This is what I have in all my cars.

Cynic 11-13-2007 08:27 AM

Thanks to all. I hated having to post the question as it seemed so, well... ridiculous. On the other hand, better to ask and know.

dumpstafresh 11-13-2007 02:30 PM

yah, i think the one i remember was an 80's sports car, like a "Z" or something.
ive also jumped cars with newer cars and had no problem.
but i dont want to say go ahead and do it. since ive heard not to from good mechanics. id feel somewhat responsible if it costed someone money.
i like the buy a jumper idea.

Trevor 11-13-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 508461)
Thanks to all. I hated having to post the question as it seemed so, well... ridiculous. On the other hand, better to ask and know.

Your question was/is in no way ridiculous, as is shown by the posts which have followed. The media and those advertising special jumper leads have published a lot of stuff which is incorrect and has caused confusion.

Airing the subject has been very much worthwhile. :)

Cynic 11-13-2007 06:27 PM

:):):):D Thanks

Myxalplyx 11-13-2007 08:20 PM

I have never had a problem jump starting any of my cars, whether it was new to new, new to old, old to new or old to old. Follow these steps below.

1) Both cars must be off,

2) Hook up a positive jumper cable to the positive battery terminal of the bad battery,

3) Hook up the other positive jumper cable end to the battery terminal of the good battery,

4) Hook up the negative jumper cable to the negative battery terminal of the good battery,

5) Hook up the other negative jumper cable to a ground of the car with the bad battery. ****Do not hook up the negative battery cable end to the negative battery terminal of the bad battery, You may regret it if you do**** If you don't know what 'a ground' is, ask for help.

6) Start up the car with the good battery and let run for at least 3 minutes, revving occasionally.

7) Start car up with the bad battery after other car has ran at least 3 minutes.

8) Disconnect jumper cables in reverse order.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any mishaps, misunderstandings or mistakes you or anyone else makes in any attempt at the above instructions. Proceed at your own risk!!

Cynic 11-13-2007 08:35 PM

I've jump started other cars using my previous cars, just not with the SVX. :)