The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Long term storage? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22192)

Imprezzed 10-24-2004 02:06 PM

Long term storage?

Folks, the time has come for me to put down the SVX for a while...sailors don't really make all that much money to begin with...and trying to keep her on the road is starting to show the signs of a paycheck to paycheck struggle. The list of reasons is long, but the list of reasons for NOT selling her is longer. So, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to put her away for a little while. Probably about 3 - 4 years or so. She's gonna stay in a garage, that the temps range from relatively warm to relatively cool.

Now, on to the Questions:

Do I put her up on jackstands?
Tires and Rims come off, right?
Do I drain all the fluids including gas?
How do I prevent rusting on the rotors?
Just Fire and Theft is all i'd need on her, or would it be covered under someone's (IE Parents) homeowners policy?
What's the best kind of car cover I could get?
What kind of preparation do I have do to the car? (IE Undercoating, spraying oil on the engine...)

I want to do this right...so she'll hopefully be exactly the same when I go to fire her up in a few years. When she does come out of storage though...she's gonna get a complete overhaul, expanses be damned. Brakes...Interior....engine....everything.

Phoenix_3737 10-24-2004 02:36 PM

the only thing i can think of is to wash it and wax it ....the wax will help protect it from anything it might be exposed to...sorry to hear about it, its a great looking car.

lee 10-24-2004 03:28 PM

tires & rims don't have to come off - just use jackstands.

Homeowners should cover it.

Change all the fluids (don't leave them dry), not sure about gas (how long can Stabil work?). clean the inside & outside the very best you can - shampoo carpets, etc. There are pros & cons to a car cover, especially if it's water tight (moisture collecting under it). Probably give a good moisturizing treatment to the leather.

Disconnect battery & put it on an automatic trickle charger.

Pull the plugs and shoot some fogging oil in the chamber, then put the plugs back in.

if the storage area isn't well maintained and used, you can expect various critters to climb up inside anything left open. try to cover any opening - maybe thick plastic baggies over the throttle body opening, exhaust pipes, etc.

I'd spray the hoses and underhood wiring liberally with something like armour all.

probably things I'm missing, don't take my word, search the net - some Porsche or Ferrari guys have to have instructions out there.

Imprezzed 10-24-2004 04:35 PM

Right on...thanks guys...anything else?

n00b on demand 10-24-2004 05:15 PM

Why dont you take it out at least once a week or so?

Imprezzed 10-24-2004 07:45 PM

Insurance...I plan to take the collision coverage off...and she's gonna be stored about 2 thousand klicks from where I live.

n00b on demand 10-24-2004 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Imprezzed
Insurance...I plan to take the collision coverage off...and she's gonna be stored about 2 thousand klicks from where I live.
Ohh ok i got ya now.

nubs 10-24-2004 08:25 PM

You could put car in one of These
I have no experience with them, but I would think about getting one if I was going to store my car long term.