The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   i have an idea (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58081)

CanadianSVX 08-19-2011 11:13 AM

i have an idea

Idk if anyone has ever seen how the intake on the older ferrari H12's are but I noticed something similar about them to our engine. They have 2 seperate intakes 6 per side, was wondering if that would be a good idea for ours. Would seperate runners help the engine breath a bit more or would it not matter. More or less just split ours, close them and put 1 throttle body per 3 cylinders. Good? Bad? No point? I want some feedback :D

Crazy_pilot 08-19-2011 11:26 AM

Re: i have an idea

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and Subaru was smart enough to give us the best of both worlds. The IRIS valve divides our intake into two halves or opens to allow the cylinders to breath together. I forget what the changeover points are, but at certain points of the operating range we have a dual intake system.

Earthworm 08-19-2011 05:54 PM

The main issue would be engine management. You would need a system that manages 2 MAF sensors or some other way to measure the air going into the engine.

CanadianSVX 08-19-2011 05:56 PM

I'll worry about that after :D
Just wanna now if its a good idea or it will just run the same

longassname 08-19-2011 06:05 PM

I actually make firmware for dual intakes. It's not listed on the website but it does exist. It is the same as Stage2Av1 except it uses STI yellow top injectors and twin SVX air flow meters. You tap the wires for the 2nd air flow meter into the wires for the existing air flow meter so that they are connected in parallel. The signals are averaged and the firmware handles it from there.

XT6Wagon 08-19-2011 06:44 PM

you pretty much need a balance tube between them or you should be running engine management that can deal with each bank like its a separate motor.

Which I think is why the ferraris used separate manifolds. They could use 2 6cyl bosch systems.

LetItSnow 08-19-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 684374)
The IRIS valve divides our intake into two halves or opens to allow the cylinders to breath together. I forget what the changeover points are, but at certain points of the operating range we have a dual intake system.

According to <this>, it's at 4200RPM. :cool:

META: Popular Mechanics IRIS Valve Engineering the '92s Article

THE NEW GUY 08-25-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 684402)
I actually make firmware for dual intakes. It's not listed on the website but it does exist. It is the same as Stage2Av1 except it uses STI yellow top injectors and twin SVX air flow meters. You tap the wires for the 2nd air flow meter into the wires for the existing air flow meter so that they are connected in parallel. The signals are averaged and the firmware handles it from there.

Dude: Can i have the schematics for the connections on the MAF and what each of them do? please? I have a proyect and would be great to have that info.
Also, do you have any chip for sale to improve my SVX? it is all original rigth now and I know it have much more potential. But I don't want to use any expensive commercial chip.
Thanks in advance, my mail is zumaeta.jose@gmail.com