The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   JDM AWD set-up and 4WS (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51983)

My First Subby 10-14-2009 05:04 AM

JDM AWD set-up and 4WS

Has anyone here, or does anyone know someone who has set-up their SVX to a more JDM set-up?...That is, the 36/64 power split and 4-wheel-steering. I definately prefer the Japanese permanent rear biased split over the North American front biased split. And I love the idea of 4WS, not just for its road-faring benefits, but also just the uniqueness of it. Only a select few cars has 4WS as an option, and to have 4WS on a USDM SVX would be even more unique.

Would I be okay just getting the parts and bolting it up and whatnot, or (at least for the 4WS) would I need to pretty much swap out the whole rear end for a JDM rear? To do both of these conversions, would I be okay with my engine and ECU, or would it be much simpler just to swap a whole JDM powertrain and ECU in?

subbieatnz 10-14-2009 05:33 AM

Re: JDM AWD set-up and 4WS

Quote:

Originally Posted by My First Subby (Post 621408)
Has anyone here, or does anyone know someone who has set-up their SVX to a more JDM set-up?...That is, the 36/64 power split and 4-wheel-steering. I definately prefer the Japanese permanent rear biased split over the North American front biased split. And I love the idea of 4WS, not just for its road-faring benefits, but also just the uniqueness of it. Only a select few cars has 4WS as an option, and to have 4WS on a USDM SVX would be even more unique.

Would I be okay just getting the parts and bolting it up and whatnot, or (at least for the 4WS) would I need to pretty much swap out the whole rear end for a JDM rear? To do both of these conversions, would I be okay with my engine and ECU, or would it be much simpler just to swap a whole JDM powertrain and ECU in?

I dont know how much work be involved? I had a 4WS Svx. the whole rear subframe is diffent.. but should bolt in easy enought.. would need the cpu for it... also the 4ws has a higher geared rack..

It be easyer to import a whole 4ws SVX from Japan:)

1986nate 10-14-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 621412)
I dont know how much work be involved? I had a 4WS Svx. the whole rear subframe is diffent.. but should bolt in easy enought.. would need the cpu for it... also the 4ws has a higher geared rack..

Also remember that the 4ws from Japan are RHD so the front steering rack that you need because of the different steering ratio will not work. Maybe with major customization but anything done would be an experiment as all there is out there is speculation and ideas...

Nevin 11-09-2009 10:09 PM

For the rear bias, you need the J-spec tranny as well as TCU. The driveshafts, wiring, but the rest of the parts will cross.

In my posession I currently have a JDM WRX 4.11 auto trans and TCU. Of note is that you also need the 2-piece rear mount. It is the part I am waiting on to complete my swap, and I can assure you it is not an easy piece to find. hahah Also, just as with any other gear swap, you need to make sure you have the correct rear gearig to match the front diff.

ensteele 11-11-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 621412)

It is next to impossibel to import a JDM or other RHD SVX into the US. :mad:

Nevin 11-11-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 624731)

I've wondered this before but...Why is that anyway? Is it just because of the cost involved? Normally if it has a U.S. counterpart the process isn't nearly as difficult.

ensteele 11-11-2009 07:14 PM

No, you can thank 911 for that one. The agents don't want to mess with anything unless it is straight forward. The RHD cars have to be certified through Subaru and when I was doing it (and failed), I had a translator talking to people at Subaru and they could not give the customs agents what they wanted in order to import it. It is a real mess right now. :mad:

'E' 08-30-2012 05:55 AM

i might get under mine tomorrow and take some pics for everyone

icingdeath88 08-30-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'E' (Post 710817)
i might get under mine tomorrow and take some pics for everyone

That would be sweet. I have been wanting to see how it's set up for a long time now. :D

Tireiron 08-30-2012 03:52 PM

For the a 35/65 split you can run a US or JDM 6-speed DCCD transmission and even without using a DCCD controller the transmission will sit at a 35/65 bias. That is a fun bias with front and rear LSD units. Makes the car much more biased to overstear instead of understear.

SURTEESS 08-30-2012 06:25 PM

What about impoting it to Canada, let it sit for a while - then transfer it across the border ?

NUTSHL has a 4WS as well as a conventonal version sitting around looking for a new homes (here in NZ) - unless Ewie has snapped them up by now.

SURTEESS 08-30-2012 06:27 PM

I just remembered that last year someone in Christchurch was selling a 4WS rear sub-frame NZ$200 (on www.trademe.co.nz).

Check out the finished auctions to see what became of it.

1986nate 08-30-2012 06:51 PM

in just a little over 3 years it will be legal to import a 91 svx under the antique car laws. it will be 25 years old.

b3lha 08-31-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 624731)

It is next to impossible, but it can be done. A member on this forum has done it twice already. But it has to be a very specific model of SVX and it is a very expensive and time consuming process with no guarantee of success.