The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First post and a question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13244)

Zed 09-17-2003 02:44 PM

First post and a question

Good Day!

I've been lurking for a while, and it finally looks like I might be able to get an SVX. I'll admit to having a thing for strange Japanese sports cars, having owned an Impulse and currently own an RX-7.

Now for the question: There are no SVXs around my area for sale, so I can't really try one out. I'm concerned about actually fitting in the car. I'm 6'3", so headroom/knee room is very important to me. I don't have to worry about the width. :)

SO: Are any of you out there in Forum land my height (or taller)? And how well do you fit the in SVX? I'll be using it as a commuter car with about 150km round-trip/day.

Thanks

Z

wawazat?? 09-17-2003 02:51 PM

Shouldn't be a problem

unless you like wearing cowboy hats while you drive!

I'm 6'3 and fit well, though I do have to recline the seat a slight amount for headroom. Leg room isn't an issue.

The non-sunroof models do offer some additional headroom, at least the Irish/JDM model I drove did. :D

Todd

mohrds 09-17-2003 03:11 PM

I'm 6'4" (when standing, too) and have no problems in the SVX.

The only complaint I have is that the steering wheel should telescope out another 3/4 - 1 inch in my opinion.
Hmmm, sounds like another project :D

Doug

Seraph 09-17-2003 03:46 PM

SVXes are pretty roomy. With Doug sitting at the front, I am pretty comfy in the back. I am 5' 7" so even with the seat push back a decent way back, he is ok, I am ok as well.

Chicane 09-17-2003 03:57 PM

Yeah, the SVX has MASSIVE legroom. For headroom..hrm.. look for one without a sunroof.

- Rob

Mr. Pockets 09-17-2003 04:11 PM

I think it all depends on how you're proportioned. I'm 6ft, but mostly legs, so I have all the headroom I could ask for. If I was another 3 inches taller, with that extra height being distributed evenly above and below the belt (shut up, Doug), I think I'd still fit nicely.

By the way, I also keep my seat pretty upright, so I think reclining it could gain you more than enough room, if you needed it.

I understand your concern, though. I'd love a Miata for autocrossing, but I don't fit in one too easily. And my father-in-law has a Ghia convertible - I have to get myself into yoga positions to fit under the steering wheel when entering.

alacrity024 09-17-2003 06:04 PM

i'm like 6'2" and find that if you sort of 'lowride" the seat by leaning it back a little further than you normally would, headroom improves drastically and you get used to the new position pretty quickly.. however whoever gets stuck sitting behind you had better be a double-amputee

-adam

Zed 09-17-2003 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
however whoever gets stuck sitting behind you had better be a double-amputee

-adam

Thanks for the info. Personally, I don't care who's behind me. The driver always has seat and radio rights. :)

Z

Zed 09-17-2003 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I understand your concern, though. I'd love a Miata for autocrossing, but I don't fit in one too easily. And my father-in-law has a Ghia convertible - I have to get myself into yoga positions to fit under the steering wheel when entering.
The beauty of the Miata for headroom is that it's a convertable. :) I don't mind the Italian Driving Position for longer hauls (heck, the RX-7 has more headroom that my Buick did), but for control, I like the arms bent. I get a few strange looks when I unfold myself from the RX, but it's comfortable for me to drive. :)

Thanks for the info!

Z

mohrds 09-17-2003 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
IIf I was another 3 inches taller, with that extra height being distributed evenly above and below the belt (shut up, Doug), I think I'd still fit nicely.

[strongly restraing back from releasing "the insult to end all insuts"]

Doug

SVXRide 09-17-2003 11:45 PM

Okay, I call Adam, Todd, Zed, and Doug on my team for the 1st annual SVX basketball tourney....now, who drives an SVX and is like 6'10"?
-Bill (remembering when he was 6' tall before old age started compressing his spine...)

nubs 09-18-2003 02:58 AM

I am 6'2" and I have plenty of room. No one can sit in the back but I am not to worried about that.
No basketball for me Bill.I am more of hockey kind of guy.:D

wawazat?? 09-18-2003 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Okay, I call Adam, Todd, Zed, and Doug on my team for the 1st annual SVX basketball tourney....now, who drives an SVX and is like 6'10"?
-Bill (remembering when he was 6' tall before old age started compressing his spine...)

Add Mat (SVX10) to that list, he's taller than me.

I think I'd serve best as an effective stationary defense system (Maginot Line???) Bill.:D

Todd

SVXRide 09-19-2003 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??

Add Mat (SVX10) to that list, he's taller than me.

I think I'd serve best as an effective stationary defense system (Maginot Line???) Bill.:D

Todd

Todd,
How about we go with the "Manute Bol" heading for you? (Okay, Todd, you hang in the lane and abuse anyone from the other team that dares to enter..."
Looks like we're going to have to convince Mike to add a b-ball game to the next Reading meet:D
-Bill

mohrds 09-19-2003 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Looks like we're going to have to convince Mike to add a b-ball game to the next Reading meet:D
-Bill

I'd rather have a shot drinking contest :D

Doug