The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Windshield wiper delay on Baja not working (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49871)

svxash 04-14-2009 09:50 PM

Windshield wiper delay on Baja not working

On our 05' Baja turbo the wipers aren't working right. The intermittent setting doesn't work at all. If you use the mist feature the wipers stop whenever you let go of the wiper stalk. If you have them on in the normal position they work fine until you go to turn them off and they stop wherever they happen to be on the windshield at that time. Is there a relay or fuse for the delay feature or is it built into the wiper motor?

oab_au 04-14-2009 11:25 PM

Re: Windshield wiper delay on Baja not working

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxash (Post 597217)
On our 05' Baja turbo the wipers aren't working right. The intermittent setting doesn't work at all. If you use the mist feature the wipers stop whenever you let go of the wiper stalk. If you have them on in the normal position they work fine until you go to turn them off and they stop wherever they happen to be on the windshield at that time. Is there a relay or fuse for the delay feature or is it built into the wiper motor?

Yes there is. I don't know that wiper motor, but there is a switch in the gearbox section that provides the ground for the motor. It opens when the wiper is down at the park position.
All the intermittent and mist positions, just pulse the ground to the motor to start it, the internal switch keeps it going.
So it will be the ground at the wiper motor, that is not connected. :)

Harvey.

svxash 04-15-2009 07:27 AM

I think what happened is the wipers were turned on when they were frozen to the windshield. Does this mean I have to replace the motor?

subeman90 04-15-2009 09:36 AM

you might have burns/corrosion in the motor on the board that Harvey is talking about. I have seen this in others (vehicles not necessarly subarus) before.

Good luck my Baja brother! :lol:

dcarrb 04-15-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxash (Post 597261)
I think what happened is the wipers were turned on when they were frozen to the windshield. Does this mean I have to replace the motor?

FWIW, I've blipped the wipers of my SVX while they were frozen to the windshield and did no apparent damage.

dcb

svxash 04-15-2009 01:20 PM

I think what happened is my wife went out to warm up the car and turned on the wipers to clear the windshield but the snow was too heavy. I'm guessing that she left the wipers in the on position while she got out to clear the snow off so the wipers remained on trying to work the whole time.

Green1995SVX 04-15-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxash (Post 597339)
I think what happened is my wife...

All car troubles usually start out with that line.

1986nate 04-15-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 597378)
All car troubles usually start out with that line.

Or at least thats how you put the blame away from yourself:lol:

subeman90 04-15-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 597387)
Or at least thats how you put the blame away from yourself:lol:

+100,000 I know I have used this line before too...or the "well I was only a little drunk at the time" :lol: