The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Repair/Maintenance funds... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46218)

Subix 09-18-2008 12:16 AM

Repair/Maintenance funds...

Being that I'm not rich but at the same time, not required to make a car payment, I will probably set up a monthly repair/maintenance funds deposit for any issues which may arise in the future. (It's going to happen, it's an older car!) In the tune of $150-$200 a month seems 'ok'. (instead of even considering a credit card for such madness).

How does everyone else handle their repair/maintenance funds?

svxxx26 09-18-2008 10:47 AM

Re: Repair/Maintenance funds...

I have the luxury of an SVX that gets to spend a lot of time garaged with the driving being for pleasure only. So - if it breaks, I can take my time without having to fix it right NOW.
I also keep my fingers crossed and knock on wood a lot. There;s ONE mechanic here in Charleston that I trust, and for major stuff OT is 3½ hours away. :rolleyes:

JaySVX 09-18-2008 12:07 PM

Likewise. My SVX got about 1600 miles last year. This year it'll be less I'm guessing. And I have YT pretty close to me. And I'm pretty handy myself.

And...

Quote:

It's going to happen, it's an older car!
Wrong.
Quote:

It's going to happen, it's an SVX!
Right.
:)

svxfiles 09-18-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxxx26 (Post 564381)
I have the luxury of an SVX that gets to spend a lot of time garaged with the driving being for pleasure only. So - if it breaks, I can take my time without having to fix it right NOW.
I also keep my fingers crossed and knock on wood a lot. There;s ONE mechanic here in Charleston that I trust, and for major stuff OT is 3½ hours away. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Jerry!:)

Francis 09-18-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

It's going to happen, it's an older car!
Quote:

It's going to happen, it's an SVX!
:lol:hahahahaha i was thinking the same exact thing !!!

Crazy_pilot 09-18-2008 02:02 PM

Since I can't afford to buy tons of stuff in one shot, I gradually stock up on parts I know I want to change, and then install it all in bulk. Like my recent T-Belt, reseal, plugs, and rad. I'd been collecting parts for probably 6 months. Except the PWR rad, I'd had that for about a year. The whole idea is to keep things working well, while it's affordable to do it, so I'm not slammed by an emergency $500 something or other.

BeneathNorthernSkys 09-18-2008 03:11 PM

Or you can be like me, and basically start to gut the entire car, broken or otherwise and replace everything, then keep what was good as a "just in case piece" and toss whats unusable. I've begun my enthusiastic yet expensive restoration of mine, and I'll tell ya, it's making me feel better all in all, and I would like to think when I'm done, it'll be alright for a little while.

but, who am I kidding, as stated....it's an SVX :rolleyes:

Manarius 09-18-2008 07:36 PM

I do everything that I can do myself. If I can't do it, I'll pay a mechanic to do it. That has amounted to around 800 dollars for the past year I've owned the car.