The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Replacement exhaust system (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33850)

sssleeper 06-24-2006 07:14 PM

Replacement exhaust system

Howdy SVX ladies and gents,

I need to replace my exhaust system. Any recommendations?
Suggestions?

Thanks,
sssleeper

It's Just Eric 06-24-2006 08:48 PM

Do a search. Theres like eighty thousand and three threads on exhaust systems.
Being there really is no aftermarket (With the exception of the stebro cat-back) its going to have to be all custom. I have seen a decent system using magnaflow components, but youll have to do a little research as to what would actually work best

nysvx10 06-24-2006 10:13 PM

First, what is wrong with your current system that is making you get a new one? Do you want a complete system or just a cat-back system? Give a few more details.

sssleeper 06-24-2006 11:25 PM

Replacement exhaust system

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.
I failed an inspection due to a leak which the inspector said he couldn't find. It's the original exhaust system. I believe the cat converter is ok because it passed emmissions test. So I will try and replace from the cat,to the muffler, and on to the exhaust tips.
It'a all original, so if you think I should replace the cat, let me know.
'92 SVX w/ 97K miles
sssleeper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nysvx10
First, what is wrong with your current system that is making you get a new one? Do you want a complete system or just a cat-back system? Give a few more details.

nysvx10 06-25-2006 09:52 AM

I had a leak where the two header pipes meet the main cat and turn into one pipe. Both flanges and gaskets had completley rusted away. It would have been very expensive to fix with OEM parts so I bought a high flow Magnaflow cat and had it welded in place of the old Subaru cat and left everything else stock.

SVXRide 06-25-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sssleeper
Thanks to both of you for the feedback.
I failed an inspection due to a leak which the inspector said he couldn't find. It's the original exhaust system. I believe the cat converter is ok because it passed emmissions test. So I will try and replace from the cat,to the muffler, and on to the exhaust tips.
It'a all original, so if you think I should replace the cat, let me know.
'92 SVX w/ 97K miles
sssleeper.

A leak he couldn't find? Then how did he know it had a leak? The inspection station doesn't happen to do exhaust system installs does it?:rolleyes:
-Bill

sssleeper 06-25-2006 12:29 PM

Hey Bill.
Congrats on all your SVX efforts! The inspector's comment after having been advised by the other employee/mgr. working in the neighboring bay has caused me to contact the state police.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
A leak he couldn't find? Then how did he know it had a leak? The inspection station doesn't happen to do exhaust system installs does it?:rolleyes:
-Bill

sssleeper 06-25-2006 06:07 PM

NY:
I re-read your email and realized I need to look at this area in front of the cat.
Thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nysvx10
I had a leak where the two header pipes meet the main cat and turn into one pipe. Both flanges and gaskets had completley rusted away. It would have been very expensive to fix with OEM parts so I bought a high flow Magnaflow cat and had it welded in place of the old Subaru cat and left everything else stock.