The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Squealing on cold start? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33849)

n00b on demand 06-24-2006 07:11 PM

Squealing on cold start?

When I let my car sit for a while ( overnight) and then start it up when the engine is cold I get this squealing noise coming from my engine bay. My guess is that its a belt...fluids are all fine. Which belt is it do you think? It goes away after the car has been on for about a minute or two...it slows down as the car warms up and then goes away completley when the car is warm. is it easy to replace belts? Just noticed this problem start last night.

immortal_suby 06-24-2006 09:53 PM

sounds like the dreaded crank pulley rubber dampener separation to me.

nipper 06-24-2006 11:04 PM

That is usually typical of the AC drive belt. On some cars the AC turns on for a few seconds when the car is started to circulate the lubricant. Check the belts then check the harmonic balancer for seperation

nipper

billb 06-25-2006 03:42 AM

Sounds like belts. If this has been happening for a while, you can probably see some wear on the culprit belt. They are very easy to replace. Check the how-tos and do some searches.

SSSVX 06-25-2006 06:05 AM

If it's the belts, they're only two belts. I hope it's the belts for you...

It could be from the AC belt, then it's probably because the AC compressor's trying to seize when it's going to turn......so it made noise. :eek: BUT, do you remember did you leave your AC on when started your car? If it's not, should not be the compressor. :D

n00b on demand 06-25-2006 08:46 AM

The a/c is never on when I start the car. I always turn it off before i shut it down. What two belts are there? Imortal...if it was the crank pulley why would it go away after the car is warm?

nysvx10 06-25-2006 09:55 AM

The two belts are the A/C belt and the powersteering/alternator belt. Could a belt possibly be too tight? Or maybe is the o-ring between the powersteering pump and fluid resevoir.

immortal_suby 06-25-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
The a/c is never on when I start the car. I always turn it off before i shut it down. What two belts are there? Imortal...if it was the crank pulley why would it go away after the car is warm?

both of them that I had separate I noticed the squeal on startup get progressively worse before they separated.

nipper 06-25-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
both of them that I had separate I noticed the squeal on startup get progressively worse before they separated.

Get yourself a can of paint of chaulk or something. Draw a line across the pulley. If its slipping the line will no longer be adjacent to eachother, and that will tell you right off if thats the source.

nipper

n00b on demand 06-25-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nysvx10
The two belts are the A/C belt and the powersteering/alternator belt. Could a belt possibly be too tight? Or maybe is the o-ring between the powersteering pump and fluid resevoir.

Very well coulb be. I dont think its too tight though....ive never replaced those 2 belts.

SubaSteevo 06-25-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
....ive never replaced those 2 belts.

Me thinks that's why they're squeaking :p

n00b on demand 06-25-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Me thinks that's why they're squeaking :p

really?!?! OMG oh no3sssss!!111 :D

nysvx10 06-25-2006 06:15 PM

Try a new belt first and if that doesn't work replace the o-ring. Both are cheap fixes that take little time, so they would be a good starting point.

CDG 06-25-2006 07:07 PM

Replace both belts with some quality belts, not the $4.99 ones, tighten to spec, then drive for 500 miles. Check and tighten them one last time. If they ever get loose again, replace them. Over tightening belts is a bad idea in general, but I have not heard or read of any SVX issues related to that other than overtightening and it still squeels issues.

My guess is the Alterator belt, then like to tug hard after an engine start, to pull that battery back up to full charge.:)

n00b on demand 06-25-2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDG
Replace both belts with some quality belts, not the $4.99 ones, tighten to spec, then drive for 500 miles. Check and tighten them one last time. If they ever get loose again, replace them. Over tightening belts is a bad idea in general, but I have not heard or read of any SVX issues related to that other than overtightening and it still squeels issues.

My guess is the Alterator belt, then like to tug hard after an engine start, to pull that battery back up to full charge.:)

If the belts are bad should I be noticing anything different in the way the car drives and acts? If the crank pulley was bad I would assume it would be very noticeable and driving would be different too...i would imagine alot of banging noises. The car runs and drives like it always has just with the tiny squeal from the engine bay. When you start it up in the morning it sounds like svxfile's claret with the super charger :D ...ok maybe not that loud:rolleyes: :D